Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommended battery drill
luke2152

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Recommended battery drill

I have no power available in my garage so looking for a half decent battery drill to replace the horrible no name one I have now. Something to happily drill hundreds of holes for rivets plus the occasional heavy duty job. Don't want to spend the earth. I already have a ryobi mini vacuum cleaner so have a slight bias towards them for battery compatibility.
Recommendations?

pmc_3

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
We use a lot of the Ryobi drills at work, I like them and the Lithium batteries are very good
HowardB

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some xrp dewalt ones when they were on offer at screwfix and q. 2 drills and 3 batteries. .never flat..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got DeWalt cordless drills- B&Q / Screwfix usually have a kit on offer for £99 which includes two 1.3a/h batteries. I' e also got some heavier duty SDS drills and impact drivers from their Li-Ion range but these are quite a bit more expensive. For the sake of what you want, the £100 starter kit should be more than adequate!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/7/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
was in screwfix today. Picked up a hitachi one, £100 fo drill plus 2 batteries. 1/2" chuck, which is handy.

I have a bosch li drill, it was £80 with 2 batteries, but only a 10mm chuck (didn't check until I had had it a while) BUT it has plenty of grunt, batteries last well, nicely balanced etc. I really wouldn't bother with any other battery apart from Li ion these days.

Proby

posted on 30/7/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the ryobi stuff and find it good value for money. My drill, jigsaw, reciprocating saw are all 5 years old now and had some right abuse. The circular saw ain't up to anything heavy duty (also battery powered), but all in all, I'd recommend.

Visit GraphicMonster

owelly

posted on 30/7/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Argos were doing the DeWalt 18v Li-Ion XR Combi for £99 with two batteries.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave

posted on 30/7/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been using the same Makita battery drill for 8 years, its never let me down yet. it only has a 10mm chuck though.
me!

posted on 30/7/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an 18 volt 3 Ah lion powered Makita, and its the bollocks. Roar. £150 from screwfix at the time
jossey

posted on 30/7/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bosch 18 or 24v

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlknight1982

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just brought a dewalt xr l-ion 2 4ah battery's 3yr warranty £269 off mac tools

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Jamwat

posted on 31/7/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave
Ive been using the same Makita battery drill for 8 years, its never let me down yet. it only has a 10mm chuck though.

same here.. excellent value and came with 3 batteries.

v8james

posted on 31/7/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Makita 14.4v
2 drills and 2 batteries lasted for 5 years, got 2 new batteries drills still going strong.

whitestu

posted on 31/7/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an Hitachi DV18DVC2/JD 18V 1.2Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill. £99.99 with two batteries.

I bough mine from B&Q when they had a 20% off day so got it for £80.

Hitachi power tools are hard to beat.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a deWalt with 3 batteries quite some time ago - the drill is fine, but the batteries have packed up due to lack of use (as will happen with all NiCad batteries). I refuse to pay the deWalt price for replacements... although this isn't really the manufacturer's fault, people should be aware that these batteries may well pack up if they're not used and recharged regularly.

Most of the time I'll use a mains-powered drill around the house, or my air-powered one in the garage (it's very compact and powerful), so it may be that a battery drill isn't appropriate for my needs... I have seen a battery pack mod to allow these drills to be powered directly from an external power supply and I might do that for use at my bench, where I have a 12v 30A PSU available.

Tshort1984

posted on 2/8/13 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Lithium Ion Battery's are best. The higher the volts, the more power it will have. The higher the Amp Hour, the longer the battery's last. The basic range from the main brands have gone downhill in my opinion. There starting to use cheap plastic in there gearboxes, cheap motors that overheat rapidly (which melts the gearbox!). They all still produce excellent drills, but at a price. Something like a Makita LXT model (magnesium alloy? gearbox) with a couple of 18v 3amp batterys should last you a fair few years, but look after your batterys. There very expensive if you bust them!
renetom

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
recycle cordless drills

Hi
Over the years in our business used battery drills lots of them, however when the batteries
died they cost more than a new drill, so ended up with loads of good drills & no batteries.
So I separated a battery case removed the batteries drilled a hole in the case & soldered a
heavy flex 4m long with a pair of crocodile clips, araldited the case back together, now I have
a very powerful 1/2"capacity drill I can use at home or on the road.
got a heavy 12v truck battery from a trucking firm when they change them ( not quite good
enough for heavy truck but plenty enough power for a drill), keep it topped up with a 10amp
solar charger £10 on ebay. that way have 12v supply in the garage.
Used it for years works a treat.

Peteff

posted on 2/8/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Makita nicad a few years ago when they were on offer with a toolkit and 2 batteries, a friend of mine bought the li-ion version at the same time at about 2.5 times the price I paid. Mine is still going strong on the same batteries which hold charge for ages and take 30 minutes to recharge, his needs new batteries which are more than my drill cost.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Vindi_andy

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Ryobi 1+ drills as you can get other tools that take the same battery.

I also have an AEG drill which had a lifetime gauranteed free servicing and repalcaement batteries if you registered.

stevebubs

posted on 2/8/13 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
was in screwfix today. Picked up a hitachi one, £100 fo drill plus 2 batteries. 1/2" chuck, which is handy.

I have a bosch li drill, it was £80 with 2 batteries, but only a 10mm chuck (didn't check until I had had it a while) BUT it has plenty of grunt, batteries last well, nicely balanced etc. I really wouldn't bother with any other battery apart from Li ion these days.

I paid £80 in B&Q for the 18v Bosch Li-Ion with dual batteries about a year ago. Heaven-sent for working on car / in the house...

joneh

posted on 2/8/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Ryobi. The One lithium batteries are great, last long and charge quick.
jacko

posted on 2/8/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Kobe 18v is what i use at work
Jacko

James

posted on 2/8/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I bought this Makita about 6 years ago from Screwfix.

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/makita-8390dwpe3-cordless-18-volt-combi-drill-13mm-keyless-chuck-oMAK_8390DWPE3

Cost me £99 at the time.

It's seen me through an entire house major refurb, fully boarding out a couple of lofts, a couple of bathrooms and numerous other jobs and some semi-professional use when I was considering setting up as a handyman type.

Came with 3 batteries (although this review says they're only 1.3ah I'm fairly sure mine are bigger than that) which is handy too. The hammerdrill is slightly weedy but it's pretty rare I need that so I have a corded 750w Ryobi for that.

All-metal gearbox too (according to this ad) which is re-assuring.

Really can't fault it in anyway. Would buy again if/when needed.

Cheers,
James

EDIT: My Dad bought the Ryobi 1 about 2/3 years ago. Not used it enough to comment on the reliability but it's much heavier than the Makita, it doesn't have the instant stop and it feels chunkier and uglier. Makita of the 2- any day!

[Edited on 2/8/13 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.