Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brushing on spray paint
Miks15

posted on 31/3/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
brushing on spray paint

hey guys,

im rebuilding an old honda bike engine. I'm leaving the side case bare aluminium and have a paint crankcase, block and head. Now i want to put the black detailing on the honda writing on both sides of the engine. so I was going to get a little brush and fill them in by hand.

would there be any problem with spraying paint from a spray can in to a small tub so a small pool of paint builds up and using this with a brush? I don't want to have to buy a pot of paint just for the small detailing.

Cheers

mookaloid

posted on 31/3/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Done that myself lots of times

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Slimy38

posted on 31/3/14 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem I found was that there is a whole lot more thinners in the spray can, so I had to spray a lot more than I thought I would, and had to go over the paint a few times to get a solid colour.
Miks15

posted on 31/3/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Yeah that was the sort of thing i was worried about slimy, wasnt sure how different the make up of the paint was. I might give it a go on a spare cover I have to see how it turns out first.

jossey

posted on 31/3/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Spray into a big jug I bought come plastic ones from £1 shop this will enable you let the thinners disperse quicker.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 31/3/14 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Spray into a big jug I bought come plastic ones from £1 shop this will enable you let the thinners disperse quicker.

This makes sense, I actually tried to stir the thinners back in which was probably the worst thing to do. It was also Halfords spray paint, so a better rattle can might actually have a bit more paint in it.

Miks15

posted on 31/3/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
so when you say disperse, is is all of the aerosol type bit of the spray that has the thinners in it? so if its sprayed on to a large surface area and then angled to be allowed to form in a corner, this should work better than if just sprayed in to a small tub?
owelly

posted on 31/3/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've sprayed aerosols into the cap and used a tiny brush to touch in scratches. Just leave it a few minutes for the thinners to evsporate.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 31/3/14 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
At halfords they sell touch up pens for different colours. it has a metal nib one end, so you can use it a bit like a short fat pen, or unscrew the lid, and there is a very fine brush inside
Miks15

posted on 31/3/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the advice guys!

And thanks for the tip Davey, will have a look at them next time im in halfords

Peteff

posted on 1/4/14 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I've sprayed aerosols into the cap and used a tiny brush to touch in scratches. Just leave it a few minutes for the thinners to evaporate.

That's the way I do it, there's a fine line between the thinners going and the paint setting. Touch up pens are expensive for what they are it would be cheaper to buy a Humbrol black and use an artist brush.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.