Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Yet another newbie!
danblez

posted on 10/7/17 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yet another newbie!

Hi all,

I have heard you are a really friendly bunch over here, I hope you don't mind the fairly high levels of ignorance displayed in this post!

A friend and I are looking to buy a track day car together and I have only just started researching the options. Is it possible for you to give me a very brief overview of what of the options at in terms of chassis, engine set up with obvious do's and dont's a newbie probably doesn't yet understand? I have heard of Robin Hood, Westfield, Locost7 but am a bit ignorant on the rest.

We dont have loads of cash to spare and would probably want it to be around 5k, although we could probably stretch it for something which is "right". I am a reasonable DIYer and am happy to roll my sleeves up although time is tight so something fairly well sorted would be good.

I have had a trawl of the old interweb and these have piqued my interest.

Bottom end of the market but seems cheap and ready to go. Is the 1.6 pinto any good? Would this still feel quick? I have heard mixed views of the Robin Hood
Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-7-Robin-Hood-Kit-Car-1-6-ford-Sierra-pinto-/232394708854?hash=item361bcdd776:g:FvUAAOSwd~RZWQIq

It's local and seems to be well finished, is this in the ball park?
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/locost/750/216257

This looks great, probably beyond the budget at the moment but what are the general thoughts on spec and price? I expect this would be pretty hairy to drive?

2004 WESTFIELD SEI WIDEBODY SDV 2.0 16v VAUXHALL REDTOP C20XE

Whasthisten? I very much like the idea of a bike engined one. Chassis any good?
https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/formula-27------2001/7352048

If there are any Locosters local to me (Southport) who wouldnt mind having a chat and allowing me a look around one that would be great.

All info very much appreciated!
Dan

[Edited on 10/7/17 by danblez]

ragindave

posted on 10/7/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
The Robin hood I would not purchase one personally I do not like them I am not keen on the design and as a kit car they would be on the bottom of my list.

The Locost this one looks very well made you need to inspect the welds value Circa £4k for the age with this sort of spec EFI Pinto you can consider some of the old school ford parts are rocketing in value in line with the classic car prices so the EFI pinto could give you a good return if you ever decided to upgrade the car specification by fitting a more modern engine.

The Westfield is quite a good buy fuel injected red top 185bhp it will be a very quick car.

The first thing you need is a good set of spanners they always need working on!
Check log books for correct ID.

5K can buy an MKindy Tiger Avon GBS zero on a good day.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
this looks a nice one and it on here too...

For sale

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 10/7/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I can only comment having built a 'new series 3' robin hood, this had the stainless monocoque and it was weak.. couldn't stiffen the suspension for fear of breaking the welds / monocoque. this one doesn't say and I'm not good enough to tell!

another thing I would look for is a car that is at least new enough to have gone through a SVA, so post 2000ish, maybe a bit earlier..

go for something newer for 5k espcially as you want it for the track, you probably want something that will be a good base to modify and continue with.

Oh i'd also want high back seats / or head restraints. - if you desired these the cost is going up quite quickly....

[Edited on 10/7/17 by Chris_Xtreme]

bi22le

posted on 10/7/17 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Danblez,

All the hype is true. This is the nicest and most knowledgeable forum. People ask Qs on here about alsorts and the spread of experience has no boundaries!

Anyway, back your question.

Have a look at and use the search. You will see that there is a general priority of chassis manufacturers. Robin Hood are not very rated, JPSC, AB motorsport, Spire and a few others are.

Bike engine car (BEC) vs car engine car (CEC) has been debatedto death. Have a read and make your judgement. I have owned both and there is no right or better. Its just choose what is best for you.

Always post cars you loke on here. This network is gar reaching and someone may know the car or may of already viewes it.

Dont be put off by the earlier spanner comment. I can do a years use depending with no maintenance. If the car is good, they need little work.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

danblez

posted on 11/7/17 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the welcome and valuable information. I am picking things up slowly, especially the different chassis types. I didn't realise some are literally built by the book from a pile of steel (I told you I was ignorant). I now understand the importance re. the quality of the welding. I have spanners and am not afraid to use them (breaking stuff a specialty) and currently own a TVR so understand the need for maintenance/prevention and this appeals to me rather than scares me off.

I think what I haven't got a handle on yet are the different engine types and what the performance difference will be. For example how well would a 1.6/2l pinto compete against an XE20/1.6/1.8 MX5/bike engine? Do they all feel quick?

The one below really tickles my fancy, I have read about the differences of BEC vs CEC and I think I could probably get on well with a bike engined one. I believe a rear live axle isn't anything to be concerned about either. I believe the Stuart Taylor chassis are well respected.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=209509

Any thoughts? What would I look for if viewing this?

gremlin1234

posted on 11/7/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome
quote:
Originally posted by danblez Do they all feel quick?
yep, a low, lightweight car always feels quick, and strangely (certainly for road driving) a lower power car can be more fun to drive ;-)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.