Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Raw Striker Pic Request
pekwah1

posted on 22/8/17 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Raw Striker Pic Request

Hi Guys,

After failing my IVA i need to beef up the rear chassis rail with some triangulation.
Has anyone with a Striker got a photo they could share of the rear of the chassis?
I'm particularly interested in what bars if any you have bracing the upper main beam as below:

Many thanks,
Andy

stripe

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures at the moment, but my live axle chassis is the same as yours - passed Iva 3 years back.

I should be able to get some pics tomorrow night if needed

pekwah1

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yes I also passed an Iva previously with the same chassis but this guys decided it's not good enough....
ReMan

posted on 23/8/17 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
so like another diagonal like the yellow one corner to corner, and the a centre vertical from the middle?
did he give any more clues?
or is it just that the 1" square tube is never going to be good enough?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

peter030371

posted on 23/8/17 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I know this is an IRS but it is what my 2004 chassis looked like when stripped down prior to the rebuild.

Rear stripped
Rear stripped

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes that was kind of the hint.
He suggested looking at what other kits do and copy that basically.

I think I'm going to get rid of the diagonal and replace it with two that will connect from around the harness point down to the bottom bar and then probably join these in the middle with another bar. I might even take a small bar from the upright of the roll bar to the same point as belt and braces...

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this, the green lines are going to the rear uprights/angled bits, so will be pretty much horizontal

[Edited on 23/8/17 by pekwah1]

peter030371

posted on 23/8/17 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
Yes that was kind of the hint.
He suggested looking at what other kits do and copy that basically.

I think I'm going to get rid of the diagonal and replace it with two that will connect from around the harness point down to the bottom bar and then probably join these in the middle with another bar. I might even take a small bar from the upright of the roll bar to the same point as belt and braces...

Whilst you are welding in this area are you going to change to two rear fixing points per belt? IMHO it would be silly not to as the choice of 3 point belts is very limited.

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, didn't mention that but yes switching to 4 point at the same time.
Just need to find somewhere to get some thread to weld in, is there a specific spec I need to use for the thread?

bonzoronnie

posted on 23/8/17 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
7/16" unf seems to be the standard seatbelt bolt size.

you should be able to buy some threaded bosses of that size.

Ebay item 181149210581

He will make them up for you

[Edited on 23/8/17 by bonzoronnie]

peter030371

posted on 23/8/17 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah yes, didn't mention that but yes switching to 4 point at the same time.
Just need to find somewhere to get some thread to weld in, is there a specific spec I need to use for the thread?

They are 7/16 UNF. If you search for 'seatbelt weld' on ebay some come up. They seem silly money to me so if you want to make your own (or clean out your threads after fitting/ painting) then I can lend you a 7/16 UNF tap

loggyboy

posted on 23/8/17 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think I would be inclined to reinforce more simply
Thick steel plate across the BACK of the existing frame, maybe reaching slightly higher than the existing bar, with uprights (with the 7/16 threads) welded to the top of the exiting cross bar plate to lift them up to suit the height requirement.

Mistral Motorsport

b14wrc

posted on 23/8/17 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mine isn't a Striker, but I added quite a bit of reinforcement to my rear bulkhead. Mine has the engine in the back like.....

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/b14wrc/457E82F3-8C0D-44D6-B91B-ADF62C2BAF72-177-000000150C7D3867.jpg

20vt powered rear engined locost

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking about just bulking up the rear beam but the IVA guys were very clear about wanting triangulation, so think i'll have to do that anyway...
To be honest, i've already removed the rear bulkhead so won't be a massive undertaking, although not a bad suggestion so maybe i'll add an extra plate there as well

loggyboy

posted on 23/8/17 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i was thinking about just bulking up the rear beam but the IVA guys were very clear about wanting triangulation, so think i'll have to do that anyway...
To be honest, i've already removed the rear bulkhead so won't be a massive undertaking, although not a bad suggestion so maybe i'll add an extra plate there as well

I would argue that in a front impact (most likely) triangulation will add no (to minimal) extra strength to the cross bar from any movement other than lateral, and it would only marginally assist in a side impact, and it that case I would rather not be held in place, id want to be pushed out the way!

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
i did try arguing the point and even got him to accept that he's not a structural engineer and that actually this is quite a standard set up for a number of kits, but once mr IVA has made his mind up......

Anyway, i'm not sure i disagree too much and if this is what i need to do i will do so!

peter030371

posted on 23/8/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i did try arguing the point and even got him to accept that he's not a structural engineer and that actually this is quite a standard set up for a number of kits, but once mr IVA has made his mind up......

Anyway, i'm not sure i disagree too much and if this is what i need to do i will do so!

I understand why you don't want to argue but this is were the IVA fails so badly by relying on many so called 'experts' (the examiners) with no independent course for appeal

Many Strikers have been built this way for many years. Quite a few have been crashed (including my own!) and the seat belt points have been proven, by these crashes, to me up to the job!

Still the system is what the system is and you just want to get through the IVA and on the road

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
exactly, it would probably be much harder to argue it than to just weld in a couple of bars....
loggyboy

posted on 23/8/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Might be easier to book another IVA at a different location. cost you £460 more for a fresh start over a retest at £90, but a lot less hassle!

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've already taken off the rear bulkhead anyway and getting a couple of beams welded on won't be too difficult
loggyboy

posted on 23/8/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Feel for you bud! Will avoid Gillingham for mine - if i get there.

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 23/8/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well for the record, i was actually quite happy with my tester and found him to be quite fair.
Yes there was a bit of a question around the rear beam and the harness mounts, but this was for various reasons, which i don't actually necessarily disagree with, but just stated that neither of us are actually structural engineers.

In his opinion it wasn't strong enough, and he was simply looking to me for proof that it was sufficient to hold up in the event of a front crash, not too unreasonable i think. Basically as long as i can demonstrate that whatever i do is a proven method or in line with what other manufacturers do (considering my chassis is from year 2000) then i'm sure i'll be ok.

Does it definitely need traingulation, does it definitely need a larger bar? who really knows, but again i don't think they are unreasonable concerns.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.