Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Build time
big_wasa

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch last time I looked you could not give them away.
theconrodkid

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
is that the Ron Champion book ?, i have a 2nd edition with no dirty fingerprints on, u2u me if you want it with a decent offer.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

andybird

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
is that the Ron Champion book ?, i have a 2nd edition with no dirty fingerprints on, u2u me if you want it with a decent offer.

No the Chris gibbs one

big_wasa

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I did buy a copy and thumbed through it once, I can't remember if I sold it in one of my clear outs. I will have a look when I get home.
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/18 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
the Chris one is much better, car too. The only thing missing is Ron's bull$hit story of how he supposedly spent £250 building his.

These days it's called misleading clickbait...

There's someone on Amazon wanting -

Add to Basket
£136.76+ £2.80 Delivery

WTF!

How about just going here and getting the plans, you don't really need a book to tell you how to build one...

Online plans

[Edited on 15/8/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 15/8/18 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2007 version of the Chris Gibbs book as I am no longer allowed to weld I will not be using the book. Its yours for a reasonable offer.

Keith
Aviemore

andybird

posted on 15/8/18 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
I have a 2007 version of the Chris Gibbs book as I am no longer allowed to weld I will not be using the book. Its yours for a reasonable offer.

How much you after?

J666AYP

posted on 15/8/18 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Its impossible to say. One thing is for sure... whatever timespan you set out double it!

I thought 1,000 hours would be ample for my project, I have done that and more and I'm still nowhere near finished.

Building one to the book will certainly take less time than one with a different engine/gearbox. I have spent atleast 50 hours changing things just to fit in the mercedes engine and running gear.

Best of luck with the build BTW.

Jay

40inches

posted on 16/8/18 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
13 years from buying the chassis to IVA. Two engine changes and one gearbox later, it's still work in progress
David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/18 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
13 years from buying the chassis to IVA. Two engine changes and one gearbox later, it's still work in progress

A similar time to me, except I built my chassis!

40inches

posted on 16/8/18 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

A similar time to me, except I built my chassis!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/8/18 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
whatever it take when you take it outside and see just how small it is... how the hell did that take so long?!?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 16/8/18 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Another tip to add is while you may keep an accurate tab on what you've spent on it yourself this may well differ from what you inform others you've spent on it
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/8/18 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Another tip to add is while you may keep an accurate tab on what you've spent on it yourself this may well differ from what you inform others you've spent on it

never keep tabs as you'll realise you could have bought two already on the road for what you managed to build one

Cars they are such a total waste of money its hilarious though not the worst, I'd reserve that for private planes (live and learn...)

hughpinder

posted on 16/8/18 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have the gibbs book and also the midlana one. I think the mid engine design approach in the midlana book would work out quite a bit quicker to build.
One of the best bits from midlana is the advice on which bits to buy up front (like the seats, engine/box you intend to use for example) as they often require just a bit more/less width and this is easy to accommodate at the start of the chassis construction, and fiddling around adjusting things after is much more time consuming.
If you go for midlana style car, I think one of the major time savings is that you will almost certainly be able to use the standard ECU/engine loom as the installation space is similar to the original car and that will save quite a bit off time! If you buy your engine/box up front, you can probably use standard induction set up too, depending on bulk, or at least most of it with a bit of flexible pipe and a K+N filter, and since the exhaust isnt really visible you may be able to re-use part of that too. Also you will use the standard box/clutch/starter/alternator ...... so no messing to fit them. Bad point for midlana - you HAVE to build your own chassis, the book seems very expensive but I guess you can count certain savings like not having to buy gearbox to engine adapters etc! The car as built is quite heavy, but then his has huge brakes, a 14 gallon fuel tank, 17" wheels which he admits in the book aren't the best necessarily. It also uses 40*2.5mm tube (the chassis with built in roll cage would be almost exactly twice the weight of a locost without), and it seemed to me that 40*1.8 would do the job just a well, but someone would probably need to do the analysis to see if that was true.

Whichever way you go - have fun!

Irony

posted on 17/8/18 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I dread to think how many hours I spent. If your a very experienced mechanic you can cut the time by half. If you have to research every process and part that will take more time than actually building.

Some good advice above. If i were doing it again I would by a used already IVA'd car and strip back to the chassis. I'd then rebuild to concourse condition correcting every single issue from the chassis up. I think this will save pain and money in the long run. I spent a vast amount ordering bolts because I never seemed to have the right size or length for a particular application.

ReMan

posted on 17/8/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
This s a good read/overview

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Lander

posted on 17/8/18 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
What you really need is a powder coated chassis with the ally panels already on it that has never been on the road ..... as luck would have it I have a Tiger Avon chassis just like this tucked away for someone like you

Let me know if it may be of interest ?

Cheers,

Ian

andybird

posted on 29/8/18 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
So I've gone with a Robin Hood 2b chassis. I know people don't like them but I love the look of the tubular chassis and given my brother and I weigh 40 stone between us the extra size will help. I'm going to convert the front suspesion to a wishbone arrangement away from the sliding pillar and then run a RX8 rear sub and carbon prop with a MX5 engine and box, turbocharged to around 250bhp. Won't be light I guess, around 700 kg but as its track only I don't need too many bells and whistles and I'm willing to take the weight penalty.

Contraversial but gives me a headstart on the bit I feared the most.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/8/18 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybird
So I've gone with a Robin Hood 2b chassis. I know people don't like them but I love the look of the tubular chassis and given my brother and I weigh 40 stone between us the extra size will help. I'm going to convert the front suspesion to a wishbone arrangement away from the sliding pillar and then run a RX8 rear sub and carbon prop with a MX5 engine and box, turbocharged to around 250bhp. Won't be light I guess, around 700 kg but as its track only I don't need too many bells and whistles and I'm willing to take the weight penalty.

Contraversial but gives me a headstart on the bit I feared the most.

Tbh I mind when these came out, just after I had bought my MK kit and thought damn I should have got one of those instead

Sounds a great project

andybird

posted on 30/8/18 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've just got to keep the momentum up or I'll lose interest!
Bluemoon

posted on 30/8/18 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the Robin Hood owners club forum: RHOCaR
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.