Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter woes
JC

posted on 26/10/18 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Starter woes

Hi all,

My Locost was running and starting fine (MGB based.....long story). I had been out for a long run and parked on the drive for my passenger to get out. When I went to put the car away, the starter was dead - all other electrics fine. As a precaution, I fully charged the battery but no joy.

Next day, I tried rocking and pushing the car in 4th gear - removed spark plugs to make it easier for the motor. Still no joy.

Then removed the starter motor and tested it - solenoid engages and it turns. I remounted it on the engine and first time, it turned the engine, but slowly. Now no same as before - a slight click, sometimes a creaking like it is straining.

Is it a dead starter motor - do they go from fully working to not working so quickly??

Thanks!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 26/10/18 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Check the earths first.
gaz_gaz

posted on 26/10/18 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Had the exact same issue with a Honda S2000 starter a couple of weeks ago.
Worked fine then suddenly didn't. Worked fine on the bench.. Sort of worked for a couple of starts when refitted to the car then didn't.

Replaced with a new one and the old one was clearly on its way out but I hadn't realised. The engine spins over quicker and starts much easier now.

steve m

posted on 26/10/18 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Oem starters do play up, and I had years of starting problems, low cranking speeds coupled with a higher compression engine

It was always a "will the bugger start" when ever I filled up with fuel, or stopped etc

As with the OP starter, think how many years old it must be, mine were at least 35, poss 40 years old

I had replaced ALL of the main cables, and made sure they were clean, new bushes etc inside, yet still had starting problems,

But since changing to a High torque starter motor, ive never had an issue, infact it spins the engine over so fast, I can see it on the rev counter!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JC

posted on 26/10/18 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve - I'm only 10 mins from Rimmer Bros and was debating whether to replace with OEM or Hi Torque....

£100 v £185 - its a no brainer I think!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 26/10/18 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Think my xflow one was about £180 ish, and ive never regretted buying it!

Also, my high torque starter draws a third of the current and weighs about half of the old Ford brick

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

starterman

posted on 26/10/18 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Let me know what it is and I'll have a look at what cost price is if you want.

Cheers
Mike

JC

posted on 26/10/18 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
its a powerlite rac184 - thanks
starterman

posted on 26/10/18 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
How long have you had the starter? If you want to send it down I'd be more than happy to have a look at it for you.

A New unit direct from Powerlite would be £148 including VAT and delivery.

Cheers
Mike

JC

posted on 26/10/18 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Looks like it isn't the starter motor - tried a replacement the I could return, same issue.

Battery is an Odyssey 680 - unlikely to be that as I had been for a long run the previous day and the car was running fine...

Guess its hunt the earth time?....

stripe

posted on 26/10/18 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
does the starter solenoid need a relay on it??? i had to add a relay to power my starter solenoid it wasn't receiving enough juice after going through the starter switch?
i found out the hard way after buying and new non returnable starter for my 4age - i had symptoms similar to yours. Adding the relay cured this and it turns over faster than ever...

steve m

posted on 26/10/18 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
An easy fix to see if your earth leads are bad, is to connect a pair of jump leads
Black to the neg side of the battery and other end on to your engine
Red to the plus side on battery and the other end to the starter, either side of the solenoid, as one side will work the starter all on its own, and the other with ign on

"Thanks

Looks like it isn't the starter motor - tried a replacement the I could return, same issue.

Battery is an Odyssey 680 - unlikely to be that as I had been for a long run the previous day and the car was running fine...

Guess its hunt the earth time?...."

You have checked that the battery is getting at least 13volt charging ??????

steve

JC

posted on 27/10/18 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well I found it fairly quickly.....

The main battery earth cable was routed to a stud on the bellhousing. On close investigation the ring terminal was broken almost all the way through - no doubt caused by the movement of the engine and gearbox fatiguing it. Not sure why it hasn’t been done by the more conventional method (I think..) of a braided strap to earth the engine, and earthing the battery to the chassis.... oh the things you discover when you buy someone else’s creation!!

Any reason why I can't use a braided strap all the way to the battery?

[Edited on 27/10/18 by JC]

steve m

posted on 28/10/18 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Theres no reason why you cant, but you still need to earth the chassis as well,
so why not battery to chassis to engine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.