Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: rear shockers??
leevo6

posted on 19/8/20 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
rear shockers??

Hi
This could be a daft question but here goes...
Can i use rear motorbike shockers?
And advice or steer welcome
Thanks

SPYDER

posted on 20/8/20 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there. We used R1 shocks all round on our Phoenix build but you do have to make some allowances. The main problem was that they are shorter than most car shocks and have less travel. On our "track only" car this isn't such a problem but on a road car it might be. On the plus side they are alloy bodied and double adjustable. The range of adjustment was huge. At the time they were cheap too.
You will need to replace the springs as the bike ones are way too strong. We removed all the preload adjusting stuff and I made new top and bottom caps. I also made a billet adaptor to account for the shock being short.
It was a lot of extra work for seemingly little gain but we enjoyed it at the time.
So the short answer is, "yes, you can", but don't underestimate the extra work that it may entail or over estimate the benefits.
The car runs fine and the shocks behave perfectly.

fregis

posted on 21/8/20 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
yes you can, but like SPYDER said need work or reasearch.
Most they are short travel but spring is harder, but if use rocker arm, you avoid this problem just chaning arm ratio.
Also one of shoks ends have different mouting desing, so need redesign.
Etc suzuki gsxr 750 shoks have 74mm travel, and have softest springs i found " 2000-2003, 325 +6/-0 mm, 74 mm, 7.2 kg/mm" ~400lbs/in, travel it almost good for front, but for rear.....

dont forget, need "balance" spring rate front/rear, short - if spring rate dont fit for weight, handling will be poor.
what spring rate you need for rear?

[Edited on 21/8/20 by fregis]

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.