Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackline Diff
ttalps2000

posted on 26/9/22 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Blackline Diff

I know there are many topics around the blackline ATB diff range, however struggling to find any actual user feedback on them!

Needing to replace my English open diff as it is getting noisy now. Was going to go down the Quaife route, however at £800+ now, nearly double what they were i am looking at alternatives!

So, they produce swarf apparently, how much of an issue has this been for people? Is it massive amounts or just some fine oil suspended particles?

How quick do they react to changes in traction too?

generally worth the money over the Quaife, or getting what you pay for?

TIA

matt

CosKev3

posted on 26/9/22 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
They are a Chinese copy of the Quaife ATB with iirc only a 12 month warranty, a Quaife ATB has a lifetime warranty.

I've got a Quaife ATB in my Sierra diff and it's really good, much better than the standard Ford viscous LSD.

As with all ATBs though if you lift a wheel over a kerb etc they revert to being a open diff so the wheel in the air will spin and you get no drive to the wheel on the surface.

This has caught me out once when I parked on some grass on the side of the road,I didn't realise the car had bottomed out and when I went to drive away one of the wheels just span up as it was slippy on the grass and light on that wheel!

[Edited on 26/9/22 by CosKev3]

Myke 2463

posted on 26/9/22 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I know there are many topics around the blackline ATB diff range, however struggling to find any actual user feedback on them!

Needing to replace my English open diff as it is getting noisy now. Was going to go down the Quaife route, however at £800+ now, nearly double what they were i am looking at alternatives!

So, they produce swarf apparently, how much of an issue has this been for people? Is it massive amounts or just some fine oil suspended particles?

How quick do they react to changes in traction too?

generally worth the money over the Quaife, or getting what you pay for?

TIA

matt

Need to check Burtons, both types £616 for Quaife and in stock.

Be Lucky Mike.

roadrunner

posted on 26/9/22 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
matt

Need to check Burtons, both types £616 for Quaife and in stock.

Nice spot.

pigeondave

posted on 26/9/22 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Tracsport diff, or a Titan one?
Although Titan might be expensive

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ttalps2000

posted on 26/9/22 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tracsport LSD seems to be quite reasonable and i believe there kit is very good too!

How often does the LSD need to be "serviced"?

Minicooper

posted on 26/9/22 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
The guy who used to produce various chain differentials gives the Blackline differentials a positive review, see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_hjB1zOcg

Cheers
David

CosKev3

posted on 26/9/22 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

ATBs are fit and forget,no parts to wear or service and no special oil required.

Plated LSDs need special oil and servicing as the plates wear out.

ttalps2000

posted on 26/9/22 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
any idea on how many miles are required before the plates need replacing? I only do 1k miles a year!
pigeondave

posted on 26/9/22 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Tracsport LSD seems to be quite reasonable and i believe there kit is very good too!

Call him to find out.

Very chatty guy.

I got a Titan as I found out about Tracsport too late. Would have seriously considered one of their gearboxes but as bgh had the fury at the time and they were close ish. It's the Tracsport first gear which is interesting.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ttalps2000

posted on 27/9/22 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
will give him a call and have a chat

How do you find the LSD on a lightweight car? I assume the ramp angle and pre-load's were setup for this purpose anyway?

pigeondave

posted on 27/9/22 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
will give him a call and have a chat

How do you find the LSD on a lightweight car? I assume the ramp angle and pre-load's were setup for this purpose anyway?

Like I said I went for a Titan. I believe that these are standard fitment for a caterham so the ramp angles are correct. The preload is also well researched.

From a chat with spc they have a lot of Motorsport involvement and would be able to advise on what you need.

Let us know what he says.

ttalps2000

posted on 1/10/22 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
had a long chat with Tracsport yesturday!

He has advised that a ATB in a rear wheel drive car is not the way to go, front wheel drive yes, but not rear!
Went through every single scenario you could encounter and how both will work and he has more than convinced me that a LSD is the way to go!

Unfortunatly he cannot offer a diff that would suit my requirements, but has said that Gripper LSD diffs are very good and would recommend one.

A lot more money than anticipated, but i guess you get what you pay for!

Anyone tried the 3J range of LSD diffs avaliable?

pigeondave

posted on 2/10/22 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
had a long chat with Tracsport yesturday!

I said he likes a chat.

He's he stopped doing his LSDs?

ttalps2000

posted on 2/10/22 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
He does the Salisbury type lsd but these are for historic racing and he said dont bother for the road etc as you cant adjust them much etc
ttalps2000

posted on 17/11/22 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ended up going with the Titan Tractionmaster diff, which is a LSD plate type

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.