Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lowered Floors
Big T

posted on 6/11/22 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Lowered Floors

Hello All,

I am hoping someone here can give me a bit of a nudge in the right direction with this. I haven't been anywhere near a seven in any shape or form, so my first hand experience is absolutely non existent.

I am looking to fit some lowered Floors to my Haynes but i have no idea how far these lowered floors sit in relation to the bottom of the chassis. I have been doing a good bit of reading on the WSCC build section and i have seen that the lowered floors are a pretty common option that people are selecting. My plan is to construct these out of 2mm Mild Steel and weld them into the chassis prior to paint/Powder coat with a few drain holes front and rear.

Has anyone on here constructed their own lowered floors? If so how deep were they? My initial thought is to have them at -50mm from the bottom of the chassis. Is this too low? Would 50mm be acceptable? Is there scope for a little more?

My concern is that by the time i have the box section in there, then the seat runners with the seat on top i am going to have my head far too high. So getting that seat as low as possible would be great. Ideally i could just ditch the runners on the drivers side, but i guess we will see.

Any help or guidance would be fantastic.

Thank you.

PorkChop

posted on 6/11/22 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've never heard of anyone fitting lowered floors in a Roadster. I can't see how it would change anything in relation to the seat mounts because the plate or box section to mount the seats to is welded to the lower chassis rails, not the floorpan.

The standard chassis was good enough for Andy at Saturn Sports Cars who is over 6'6". He just made the roll bar longer to suit him.

Mock it up before spending more time on lowered floors - I think you're trying to find a solution to a problem you don't really have.

[Edited on 6/11/22 by PorkChop]

SteveWalker

posted on 6/11/22 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
They did it to a Westfield or Lotus (I can't remember which) on Wheeler Dealers - I think because taller people were looking straight at the top of the windscreen frame.
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/22 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
god help your backside on any speedbumps
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/11/22 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
god help your backside on any speedbumps

I'm about 5'11" and my built my MK Indy with the flat floor it was designed with. Didn't have a windscreen, but a 5" tall plastic screen thaat I could see clearly over the top of. Standard MK roll bar welded to the rear of the chassis. Whilst I didn't ground out I did get the odd stone and gravel rattle off the floor. I fitted my seats on fixed frames rather than runners to get them as low as possible in the car. Always wore a full face crash helmet to protect my eyes from gravel/insects and keep the noise down.

IMHO - make the most of other methods before resorting to lowering the floor.

ianhurley20

posted on 7/11/22 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've built a Haynes Roadster without lowered floors (1.5mm aluminium) and a Tiger Avon with lowered floor (self made with a few bends to some 2mm flat steel). Doing either again I would do a flat 2mm welded steel floor. Didn't get any advantage to the lowered floor and I am 6' tall - neither had a proper screen but did have wind deflector bubble things

[Edited on 7/11/22 by ianhurley20]

sdh2903

posted on 8/11/22 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Westfields are/were standard lowered pans from around 2008 ish iirc. my earlier chassis didn't have them so I made some 50mm pans from 1.5mm steel. I'm 6ft 4 and they make a difference to my comfort especially with leg position. The extra clearance under the steering wheel helps too.

Also gives me more clearance from my head height to the top of the MSA roll bar and stops me looking at the top of the windscreen frame. Being tall it helps me feel like am sat in the car rather than on it. If your not particularly big/tall then I wouldn't bother.

pigeondave

posted on 8/11/22 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
one lowered floor , not read the thread

I think Big Dean lowered the floor on the fury like this.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.