Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: A Locost Jeep?
The Baron

posted on 12/7/23 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
A Locost Jeep?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever come across any chassis plans to build a Locost in the style of a jeep, similar to the JAGO of times gone by?

Nothing overly fancy, open top, basic rwd etc…..

Cheers

Baron….

designer

posted on 12/7/23 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
The option would be the Burlington Chieftain Jeep from years ago. I have a set of the plans on a laptop somewhere.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Baron

posted on 13/7/23 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If you could locate them that would be really interesting.

I built and finished my Locost about 15 years ago and am looking for a new project.

Cheers

B

JAG

posted on 13/7/23 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
The guys who made/sold/marketed the 'Locust' Seven car also did a Jeep...

Husky Jeep

Similar to the 'Locust' it was an MDF body over a Steel ladder-chassis. That link suggests that the plans and parts are still available - I think.

There are contact details for White Rose Vehicles on there.

[Edited on 13/7/23 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/7/23 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly would probable cost considerably more than just buying a Jimny, Riva etc since your going to end up with a IVA. If you want a project then it might be worth buying a second hand correctly registered Jago, they do come up for sale now and again that needs some TLC.

[Edited on 13/7/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Baron

posted on 15/7/23 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I probably wasn’t super clear on my original post….. i dont think any of us would be into kitcars if it was a question of cost.

Im not looking to build a 4x4 (my daily drive is a 4x4 from a certain well known brand)

After years (writing it down, it’s actually decades…wow that makes me feel old) of building and modifying loads of stuff (car, bikes, go carts etc) and various ‘running’ restorations (restoring them as your driving them), i am looking for a new challenge.

Looking at a jeep type thing sparks my interest a bit, and yes i could buy somthing, but the fabrication and build challege is what i have really enjoyed about all the stuff i have done over the years.

I dont think a jeep style locost would that hard… might even be easier than a ‘normal’ locost, and i have done a couple of those over the years now, i even still have my first one that i built. Easily over 20 years ago now, as i built mine to the oiginal book…..adjusted for inflation, its not £250 now, and it wasnt back then either. i must be sentimentally attached to it as i have mofided it and changed it so many times… are they ever really finished….

Mine has been off the road for a few years, and I have started the task of getting back on road again to take full advantage of global warming.

But thnking about a jeep style, the chassis would probably be easier, as its a basic ladder design. Which would not be as coplicated as the space frame fabrication of a locost.

The front strut mountng would need a little thought. Rear end would be conventional leaf / cart springs with traditional back axel.…. That would be the basic rolling chassis.

If you look at the original jeeps, even early land rovers, especially the air portables ones (lightweights). The bodywork is flat panels etc… the bulk head fabrication would be interesting. Again keep it simple with a classic open top.

Any drive-train you fancy… im a bit old school, so always come back to my fords… i do like a zetec running on a carb and a type 9 gearbox, although i might be tempted to try a auto if i went for it…. I only migrated to zetec’s as the supply of Kent’s and Pinto’s started to dry up….

Just wondered if anyone had some old plans of a chassis, to get thinking about a design…..

Cheers

The Baron

red22

posted on 15/7/23 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of original and dimensioned willys jeep blueprints out there.

If you want something a bit different but still keep like I'd give "Philippine owners type jeeps" a Google.

[Edited on 15/7/23 by red22]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.