Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to scavenge 2mm aluminium u-channel
jps

posted on 1/11/23 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Where to scavenge 2mm aluminium u-channel

I'm after some metal (assuming aluminium) u-channel with a 2mm groove in it - and in true locost style - and trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Not least because it might not work for what i'm intending...

I can see something like what I have in mind exists - e.g.

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-by-category/metal-mouldings/aluminium-miscellaneous-mouldings/aluminium-misc-moulding-no-10/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7oeqBhBw EiwALyHLM726FV7mbOkmumF56MSj08pQfCsxUyNO7-WdvG6xA_sCY-CgSUzPTxoCnAwQAvD_BwE

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265749500156?var=565534255106&hash=item3ddfe790fc:g:-hQAAOSwHhBitDoh&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8E1UD58CqP6Xd%2B4o9gelAwp gWrW1Jf%2Bdu8dEgl5BnC0vggXtK2U6xBGyzknFPLPN4Q0zmdKtg%2FyOy%2FUXREfisAVzVIcvSGtnJA5uPQuoPJodxxMbl6NS9Nbr0TRzbV29K2QemjYbmM50PCaWhyzp9xxqtJ5cAY2aLV%2FxE wA5G0yVhSMAuivFINLpz2cGY9khBBTrCZ%2Br7ssPI%2FA0vX%2F7ryyG9D1c4I4NsJsKW6ELOMqxSre7SqDnyWUFRHyCDdl9OKMFVlQLPs5BoqVjFDxMMjGDI0Mpu%2BuP5F1kL12xXDw4cqhSRp1 fukfWwztlji2WLQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR96Zy6jxYg

But where could I scavenge some for free... I only need about 300mm of it...

I'm not above digging in skips to pull it off fridges/etc if i'll find something appropriate somewhere like that...

[Edited on 1/11/2023 by jps]

[Edited on 1/11/2023 by jps]

Slimy38

posted on 1/11/23 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about shower glass edge trim? Although I'm not sure about 2mm, toughened glass may be thicker than 2mm.
gremlin1234

posted on 1/11/23 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
How about shower glass edge trim? Although I'm not sure about 2mm, toughened glass may be thicker than 2mm.

I think shower trim would be too big, maybe a bezel from an old led laptop/computer screen

coyoteboy

posted on 1/11/23 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Can't think of a logical source right now, but for the sake of 10 quid it seems like excessive effort to go hunting.
gremlin1234

posted on 1/11/23 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Can't think of a logical source right now, but for the sake of 10 quid it seems like excessive effort to go hunting.
I agree, likely to cost more than just ordering it new. but where's the fun in that...
though I would suggest also looking for a model engineering shop. I know they used to do brass channels similar to the requirements.

gremlin1234

posted on 1/11/23 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
... digging in skips to pull it off fridges/etc if

actually many fridges have 'brightwork' trims on the door pockets and shelf edges

Theshed

posted on 1/11/23 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
You could laminate it very easily out of three bits of sheet. A decent epoxy would be reasonably strong (unless very hot).
jps

posted on 1/11/23 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by jps

actually many fridges have 'brightwork' trims on the door pockets and shelf edges

Ooh, I think we might have a winner! We have trim on our kitchen fridge which would suit, but I think I’ll be pushing my luck if I use that!

loggyboy

posted on 1/11/23 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would try looking for poster/advertising frames, you some times get them in restaurant loos etc.
jacko

posted on 2/11/23 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
If there is a bus repair garage near you the U moulding you need is used on some wheel arches
I know I use to fit it
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 6/11/23 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Ooh, I think we might have a winner! We have trim on our kitchen fridge which would suit, but I think I’ll be pushing my luck if I use that!

You'll only be in trouble if the powers thar be notice.

ReMan

posted on 10/11/23 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Any luck?
And how about sharing what you were intending it for , just so we can help more?

jps

posted on 10/11/23 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have not had chance to go skip-diving yet, but I am eyeing up poster frames/etc at work based on all the suggestions...

I have made an amended version of the remote brake reservoir holder that Voucht shared plans for many years ago. It's from 2mm sheet alu, folded at the top for rigidity, but I want to strengthen the front of it, and trim the edges, so metal (i.e. less flexible) channel seems best to do both jobs at once. I could reinforce it with some additional alu sheet in strips, then trim the edges with rubber u-trim, but I think it will look better all in metal.

So far it looks like this:
Brake reservoir
Brake reservoir

You can see the vertical section has bowed a bit whilst it's all been put together.

I suppose an alternative would be to rivet some L angle to the vertical, but U trim would be more compact.

[Edited on 10/11/2023 by jps]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.