Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car insurance
number-1

posted on 23/1/24 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Car insurance

Has anyone got any suggestions for daily driver car insurance renewal? Mines up in Feb. Last year i paid £180 fully comp. This year they want £316!!!! I have tried the usual comparison websites and got it down to £260. Any other suggestions? 20 years NCB on a 2009 I30 1.6 petrol.

Cheers

N1

40inches

posted on 23/1/24 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
The wife's 2023Honda Jazz Hybrid has gone up from £310 to £520, cheapest.
£940 dearest

Slimy38

posted on 23/1/24 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's had a hundred or so added unfortunately. The renewal was even higher, but I got it down a little bit with a price comparison. It seems quite consistent though, my wife's car insurance and even my house insurance has jumped up a lot this year.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/1/24 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
What I would suggest is doing a comparison between comparison sites! I got a quote from Gocompare and Compare the Market and the latter was more than £200 cheaper and valued the old volvo at £2400 vs £700! why is can happen is beyond me.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 24/1/24 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
What I would suggest is doing a comparison between comparison sites! I got a quote from Gocompare and Compare the Market and the latter was more than £200 cheaper and valued the old volvo at £2400 vs £700! why is can happen is beyond me.

I also do that, but one recognises my car as the wrong model and the prices change because of it. However, trying to correct them just sent all the premiums through the roof, it was like I was lying to them to try and get a cheap quote!! It's the engine power, my Superb is only a 140bhp whereas for one site it says it's the 170bhp model.

Since I don't want my insurance invalidated at a later stage (as I'm in theory insuring the wrong car), I just don't do that site.

nick205

posted on 24/1/24 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Have to say it worries me yearly

Always go through the comparison sites, play them off against each other and play them off direct with the insurers.

Slimy38 - sounds like you have an ongoing issue with incorrectly recorded data for your car. I'd have to treat it like buying a car "any doubt, walk away". With insurance, it's just not worth finding out the insurance is invalid after the event.

I also have an 18 year old learning to drive. About to buy his first car and insure it. Quotes so far far for 998cc engine 4 door hatches are in the region of £2k with a black box in the car.

So very different from when I passed my test all those years ago!

Slimy38

posted on 24/1/24 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Always go through the comparison sites, play them off against each other and play them off direct with the insurers.

Slimy38 - sounds like you have an ongoing issue with incorrectly recorded data for your car. I'd have to treat it like buying a car "any doubt, walk away". With insurance, it's just not worth finding out the insurance is invalid after the event.

I also have an 18 year old learning to drive. About to buy his first car and insure it. Quotes so far far for 998cc engine 4 door hatches are in the region of £2k with a black box in the car.

That's exactly it. Every other VRM checker works, even Eurocarparts. But for some reason just one gets it wrong.

My daughter is of 'learning age', and should we ever manage to find a driving instructor, a valid test date, and a suitable priced car, I might then be in a similar position of paying sky high prices for insurance. I do remember my first policy being the same as the car, but that was back when cars themselves were less than a grand.

nick205

posted on 24/1/24 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

That's exactly it. Every other VRM checker works, even Eurocarparts. But for some reason just one gets it wrong.

My daughter is of 'learning age', and should we ever manage to find a driving instructor, a valid test date, and a suitable priced car, I might then be in a similar position of paying sky high prices for insurance. I do remember my first policy being the same as the car, but that was back when cars themselves were less than a grand.

Indeed, from memory my first car (Fiesta) was £300. Registered as my Mum's car, her insurance policy, with me as a named driver. No longer an option as far as I'm aware.

SteveWalker

posted on 24/1/24 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Think yourself lucky - I am just a year off all three of my sons being learners, being insured on my car or having their first car!!!!

A few years ago, before the very steep increases in premiums, I looked at the cost of insurance for a new, young driver - since I got my first car, insurance had gone up 8 times faster than average income. That's not even like for like - as modern insurance is with a black box, while mine was obviously without AND it covered my sister as a learner too.

nick205

posted on 24/1/24 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:

Think yourself lucky - I am just a year off all three of my sons being learners, being insured on my car or having their first car!!!!

A few years ago, before the very steep increases in premiums, I looked at the cost of insurance for a new, young driver - since I got my first car, insurance had gone up 8 times faster than average income. That's not even like for like - as modern insurance is with a black box, while mine was obviously without AND it covered my sister as a learner too.

Feeling your pain SteveWalker - after my 18 year old son I have 16 year old twins eager to take to the road. Already been explained in no uncertain terms it'll be car sharing!

ianhurley20

posted on 24/1/24 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
£264 last year £550 this year Aviva, am I going to renew??(DS4 180bhp Eat 6)
Most of the comparison sites came up with just over £400 but found an idividual site linked to my savings/life insurance company forn £349. Its going to be a challenge every year and yet my wifes renewal 3 months ago came in at £189 for a DS3 Cabrio with a 110bhp Eat 6 engine /gearbox! (with Aviva)

coyoteboy

posted on 26/1/24 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

When I passed my test in 98 it was 1K for my 1.1 Peugeot 205 - cost me more than the car.

Let's be honest, insurance is going to be one of the most inflation-sensitive costs. The running costs of the insurance company go up, the cost of the parts go up, the cost of the cars go up, the cost of the labour for repairs goes up, of course the policy will go up.

[Edited on 26/1/2024 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/24 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a small hatch back for a teenager is really about the worst choice, firstly their utterly dangerous in the very likely chance they'll crash it, secondly they are known as very stealable boy racer machines which puts the insurance right up.

My kids have been told straight their first car will be a very old boring volvo tank, for which i will give them a strict petrol allowance and their quite happy with that. I've also told them they can paint it any colour they want, so they have decided it will be pink

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 26/1/24 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
That's crazy, small hatchbacks are designed to be easy to drive, understeery for simple handling when getting carried away and cheap to insure. Volvos are heavy, get inflated premiums because they do damage to other vehicles, are long and if one of the rwd tank varieties, fecking lethal in the wet. Low power hatches are not expensive to insure, take a real effort to lose control of and are fuel efficient, plus don't have enough space to load up the boot with friends or turn into a bed...

Something like an old 460 only comes in a big old LEZ unfriendly 2.5 turbo d and is group 19. A pug 206 1.4 is a group 6.

There's very definitely a reason driving schools use small hatches.

[Edited on 27/1/2024 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/1/24 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Something like an old 460 only comes in a big old LEZ unfriendly 2.5 turbo d and is group 19. A pug 206 1.4 is a group 6.

Insurance does not work purely on group numbers but more on trends for the car models and the age range of the driver. In their eye's teenager with small hatchback = boy racer and crashing...

and btw my 2004 1.25 base Fiesta was £150 more expensive than insuring my 2008 2.0T Volvo s60, same driver, same details.

coyoteboy

posted on 30/1/24 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Insurance does not work purely on group numbers but more on trends for the car models and the age range of the driver. In their eye's teenager with small hatchback = boy racer and crashing...

and btw my 2004 1.25 base Fiesta was £150 more expensive than insuring my 2008 2.0T Volvo s60, same driver, same details.

No, you're right, but it's a major contributor, and it's in the risk profile of the driver.

Younger drivers in larger powerful vehicles override the safety features by a long way. Older drivers clearly have the theft aspect override the crashing aspect. There's very little logic to insurance prices anyway. My Peugeot 306 estate is 270 a year, my modified Nissan 370Z is 350 and my 28 year old Toyota Hilux Surf (17 years older, a couple of humdred kg heavier, 1/4 of the value and a lot less desirable) is 580. But would you choose to put a kid in a 2.0T large car instead of a gutless small modern hatch with the same safety features?

[Edited on 30/1/2024 by coyoteboy]

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/1/24 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
A good friend has 3 kids. The the son an Alfa 164, 2 litre. The insurance was much cheaper than a fiesta, I guess as no other 17 year olds had one? One daughter has an MR2, and lost track of the 3rd.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.