Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham owners
Paul Formston

posted on 10/4/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham owners

Hi Lads all Caterham owner aren't unfriendly I bought A caterham because I always wanted one from about twenty and if I had known what I know now I would of still bought one I tryed to do it on the cheep but you carn't unlike most Caterham owners I am An ordanary working Bloke and its nealy bankrupted me so if any of you Locost lads need help let me know Ive got A fuw bits for sale too Best Regards Paul
RogerM

posted on 10/4/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you have fun with the Caterham.

I have nothing against the car, it is afterall what most of use are trying to emulate. I could never justify that much cash on a car when there is an alternative (or several) for less (which is my justification for the Porsche... there is NO alternative!!)

My only problem with Caterham is that they do like to charge over the odds for stuff.

The car is great to drive, got good support and a good selection of standard specs. The last time I went to Mallory some of them almost kept up with me too

Have fun.

Paul Formston

posted on 10/4/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Hi Roger thanks and you are right its cost me an arm and A leg but it went together very easy so I didn't loose interest I made A chassis my self once by buying the plans to the wooden locust and measuring them and making it out of 1 inch box steel I got it to a rolling chassis with a fiat twincam in it before loosing interest chees Paul
Peteff

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Stick us some pictures up so we can see how it should be done. Promise I won't copy. If it's a self build you're in the right place. Keep the faith.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phelpsa

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think you've got us lota bit wrong....

we (well most of us) have nothing againsh caterhams or the average caterham owner, as Roger said, its caterham's prices that we are against.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
As most Caterham's will soon be manufactured in China (?) probably only assembled here, it's a shame they have gone the Eastern Route - kind of takes the ethos away from the marque wouldn't you say?

I doubt it has been done to massively drive prices down - more to reduce pricing a little (therefore making them more competitive) and maximise profit. Afterall, they have done it for a reason. IMO it is because they are loosing market share to other manufacturers, who are catching them up in quality and service. I think they have priced themselves out of the market a little, therefore by being reactive by going the route they have gone, they may claw back some of that lost market share and increase profits more.

Caterham's are a lovely car only spoiled by a minority of owners (from what I've heard) who peer down on us mortals. Personally, I'd love one - but I wouldn't pay Monopoly money prices for one when I can stand proud knowing that our's is as good in build quality, performance and handling (personal taste) and cost a damned site less.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
its just a pecking order.

catervan owners thing locosts are a lower form of life in the same way that locost builders think robin hoods are crap.

who cares at the end of the day!

atb

steve

phelpsa

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
If we think robin hoods are crap, what are Locusts???

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'm not too keen on the way Catervan headlamps seem to stick up a lot

Otherwise they seem to be a well thought out but very expensive car.

I would really like to test one with the same engine as my MK so that I can see if there is really any great difference for your extra expense.

I'm sure the drivers are human like the rest of us

Cheers

mark

ps I do have 1 genuine Caterham component on my car BTW

Hellfire

posted on 11/4/05 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think all "kits cars" (Cateringvans included!) are like siblings - you usually think yours is the best looking, best performing and most thought out until you see one that is

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

RogerM

posted on 11/4/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Fair play if you built it yourself mate, that's what this site is all about.

www.payovertheoddsandgetitbuiltforyou.co.uk ....... probably wouldn't get many hits would it

Chappo

posted on 6/11/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Lads I have change my login im Chappo now was Paul Formston, and I have had the Caterham 15 months now its been great fun and I have done 23,000 miles unlike some caterham owners I use mine, I hope none of you have been upset by any of the think caterhams are better than other 7 lot we are not all like that and I know how much work go's into building a Locost as My son has just built a westfield and it has taken him 12 months solid Regards Paul
DIY Si

posted on 6/11/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most folk on here will take you at face value, with maybe a little wee taking for good measure! Anyways, if you think you're car was expensive, my next plan will cost me £8.5K just to get a rolling shell!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Chappo

posted on 6/11/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I hope so because there seem to have been some nasty ness by certain caterham owners but that are the same with other caterham owners so I am trying to make amends good look with the new project what is it Regards Paul
DIY Si

posted on 6/11/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
In all fairness, most 7 owners can't really tell one kind from another. It e=is easier with caterhams though, as they are much smaller than most of the others.
Next project is one of these: Rescued attachment lolaspyder.jpg
Rescued attachment lolaspyder.jpg

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DarrenW

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
A warm welcome from me Paul. i couldnt care less what people own, its the common interest in a great hobby that counts. 15 months and 23K miles!!! You will need to be surgically removed at that rate

If i had more cash id probs have a Caterham as well. From what ive seen they are a very well sorted vehicle and deservedly have a good reputation.

greggors84

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
If I had the money I would have gone for a Caterham. Ive sat in a few and they feel spot on, really comfy driving position an spot on gear change.

Some people on here have spent more on a MNR than you would on a caterham.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Chappo

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Diy that looks the dog danglies mate it will be great on track days and thank you Darren Regards Paul
DIY Si

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
It should be good when finished. Just got to save up the ~£12K I'll need to build it. Assuming I do everything the cheap way. Or win the lottery.
You got any pics of your car?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Chappo

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Chris I didn't realy have the money im just an ordenary guy who has wanted a seven for years, and I tryed to make one by making a chassie from measuring the Locust plans and then welding inch box together rather than make it out of wood, but I got fed up and sold the rolling chassis so I was sat at my desk one day after having a drive of my mates caterham, with my credit card my hand my wife off thirty years had left me twelve month earlier and I just did it placed a deposit and went from there but it did cost a lot for a toy if I had been married I could never have done it Regards Paul
Chappo

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again DIY yes I have got lots of Pictures but I don't now how to post them, a hang on I think I know, now that wont work, send me your Email and I will send you some and could you post them for me mine is Paul. Formston@ Raytheon .co.uk
pjavon

posted on 6/11/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
23,000 miles in 15 months, will you be able to get your backside out of the seat long enough for the meet in the pub tomorrow nite
Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

DIY Si

posted on 6/11/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest way to resize them to something suitable (~600-800 pix wide), and then just use the attachment box below the bit where you type your replies.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Chappo

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok here go's sorry the first one is of a hotel I stayed in on last years blat in europe
Chappo

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I will have another go
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.