Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall Donor
Bengoh

posted on 26/3/02 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Donor

Hi, just joined. Been following the site for a while, and thought it was about time I took a dip.
I've noticed that there is some mention of a Vauxhall 8v 2.0 being used. I've got a 1990 Carlton as a possible donor, and I was wondering if there's anyone who has done the installation, and could give me some pointers, i.e. how to fit the engine in(quite tall I think), what to do about the pretty wide rear track, can the prop be shortened and used etc.

Ta

Ben

Dunc

posted on 26/3/02 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Basically you can fit anything you want, it'll just be the mounting points for the engine and gearbox that'll be different in each case. Usual tip is to build a basic chassis, do a trial fit with the engine and gearbox to see how it fit then build the trans tunnel around the gearbox once your happy with the location. I don't know what the back axle is like on a carlton, live or indy? but it'll just be a case of some how bolting it all to your chassis. Unless the track is excessive you don't have to worry about it being too wide, I wouldn't go down the route of cutting rear axles/ drive shafts etc but would maybe try wheels with a different offset to reduce the track size.
Jon Ison

posted on 26/3/02 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
mad daves gone 8v vauxhaul i think, he will give you some pointers.......just do it.
Devilfish

posted on 27/3/02 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
My locost is based on the Manta which uses the 2.0 CIH and 5 speed box but to a live axle. I think the carlton engine is the same but to an independant rear (something I'm thinking of for the next project). Measure up between the rear faces of the tyres and check this against the chassis dimensions - I'm pretty sure the Carlton is actually quite narrow (less than a Sierra?). As for the engine, I reckon it's better than the pinto as the sump is in line with the bottom of the bell housing, all the ancillaries are on the left (the manta's are anyway)leaving loads of room for steering etc and I think it's a bit shorter due to the way the cam sits in the head.
Bengoh

posted on 27/3/02 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice!

The Carlton does have IRS, and as for the track width, it's about 165cm (outside to outside on the rear), not sure what the sierra is. The bottom of the sump is in line with the bell housing, but it's a bit lopsided to get over a cross member.

I was wondering, since I won't ne using that cross member, would I be able to put the steering rack under the engine, in its place? I know the standard (if there's such a thing) chassis puts it in front of the engine, but I was hoping this might be a sneaky way to shave a few inches of the wheelbase. How would that affect handling etc?

Ben "too many questions" Goh

Dunc

posted on 27/3/02 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Reducing the wheelbase will give a tighter turning circle, not quite London Taxi though, but it will also make power oversteer harder to catch if it gets you unaware. Ride will also suffer slightly, (ever been in a mini?). To improve handling the bestis to move all the masses as close to the centre of gravity as possible. ie move the engine back as far as you can as the centre of gravity is usually around the middle of the gearbox in a locost( with fuel and persons on board)

The rear wheel base of a sierra is 1468mm from tyre centre to tyre centre. With a 185 tyre this give approx 1653mm from outside to outside. Very close to the carlton.

James

posted on 27/3/02 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke at work told me his (admittedly quite hi-spec) Carlton even had a limited slip differential in it.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Could be pretty nice if it's the case!

James

Bengoh

posted on 28/3/02 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think the LSDs were fitted to any models as standard, but they were definitely an aftermarket option.
Devilfish

posted on 28/3/02 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
The steering rack will be well ahead of the engine - so don't worry about that. Sounds to me as though you should be able to make the chassis 100mm wider than the book . Does the carlton use struts or double wishbone front suspension?
Alastair

Bengoh

posted on 28/3/02 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was actually wondering if I could move the steering rack back, so that it'd be UNDER the engine, but I'm thinking twice about that now; I'd have to increase the ground clearance, and the CofG would be a bit far forward. I'm only Ron's book as a rough guide.

As for the Carlton, yes it does use struts, but I'm hoping to make up some dummy Macphersons, and maybe even run inboard coils (with the space I might save if I put the rack under the engine). Lots of ideas, but the build isn't scheduled to start for a while yet; got to get a house with a garage first!

Ben "dreeeeeaaam, dream, dream, dream" Goh

Bengoh

posted on 28/3/02 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was actually wondering if I could move the steering rack back, so that it'd be UNDER the engine, but I'm thinking twice about that now; I'd have to increase the ground clearance, and the CofG would be a bit far forward. I'm only Ron's book as a rough guide.

As for the Carlton, yes it does use struts, but I'm hoping to make up some dummy Macphersons, and maybe even run inboard coils (with the space I might save if I put the rack under the engine). Lots of ideas, but the build isn't scheduled to start for a while yet; got to get a house with a garage first!

Ben "dreeeeeaaam, dream, dream, dream" Goh

Devilfish

posted on 2/4/02 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you move the steering rack you'll need to figure out how to connect it up to the front uprights. As far as the front suspension is concerned it might be worth searching out a Manta front end as this will provide the basis for a double wishbone setup, I think it's possible to fit carlton brakes to that (anyone remember the i400) and keep the 5 stud wheel pattern.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.