Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt on crossflow
rayward

posted on 13/8/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt on crossflow

hi all,

has anyone fitted megasquirt to a ford crossflow??

hints tips, ideas etc all welcome

cheers

Ray

Surrey Dave

posted on 13/8/05 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
This is GeoffT's

Rescued attachment geoff.jpg
Rescued attachment geoff.jpg

ady8077

posted on 13/8/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

There also doing a plenium version in PPC mag

Adrian

GeoffT

posted on 13/8/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ray,

As mentioned I've upgraded my Xflow to injection, still ongoing really as I'm still fine tuning the myriad of "adjustables" that Megasquirt confronts you with. Hints, tips & ideas? - I find it easier to answer specific questions, but here goes!

1600 Xflow, a Kent 234 cam & a "mildly ported" head, pretty much standard otherwise. I'm using the 38mm T/B's from the Suzuki GSXR600 ('02 I think). These are 38mm and are AMPLY big enough for the Xflow, don't be tempted to go any bigger than this.

Fuel supply is via an injection pump mounted close to the tank, a high pressure line from here to the fuel rail, and a return line to the tank. Fortunately my tank is baffled and has a small 'collector' at it's base, so I was able to do it this way - it keeps things simple.
Respacing, etc, of the T/B's is all fairly straightforward, (albeit time consuming). I then made up some adaptors to mount the units to my existing Weber 40DCOE inlet manifold.

Results? As stated still lots of fine tuning to do, but already a much more responsive engine that, even in rough tune, has less flat spots, gurgles and farts than the old Webers used to have, and the garage doesn't stink of petrol every time you walk in....

This is the locost way of doing things, (about 300 quid I reckon), but, as always, LOcost seems to mean big demands on time. Other routes (e.g. Jenvey, Emerald, etc) will cost you more (MUCH more), but leave you with more time out. As always, yer pays yer money....etc.

ATB, Geoff.

rayward

posted on 13/8/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys,

have been following the PPC project,

geoff,

did you buy your mega kit in the UK?,if so could you let me have suppliers details?.

TBH i was going to go the plenum route, but don't know the advantages/disadvantage etc.

Ray

big_wasa

posted on 14/8/05 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ray this place has been menchioned before...link
GeoffT

posted on 14/8/05 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ray,

My UK supplier was a guy called Bill Shurvinton, he's a knowledgable and helpful guy, well known in the Megasquirt circles. I'll u2u his email address.

I used ITB's simply because they're readily and cheaply available these days. I claim to be no expert about the different systems, but it seems that ITB's will give best top end power, whereas the plenum system will give better low range torque and probable overall drivability.

I was about to say that the plenum system requires more fabrication, but thinking about the amount of modification necessary to install the ITB's, there's probably not a lot in it. Whatever floats your boat as they say....

ATB, Geoff.

mranlet

posted on 14/8/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
There are lots of programmers on www.msefi.com that can solve lots of general megasquirt-related questions.
stevebubs

posted on 14/8/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Ray,

My UK supplier was a guy called Bill Shurvinton, he's a knowledgable and helpful guy, well known in the Megasquirt circles. I'll u2u his email address.

I used ITB's simply because they're readily and cheaply available these days. I claim to be no expert about the different systems, but it seems that ITB's will give best top end power, whereas the plenum system will give better low range torque and probable overall drivability.

I was about to say that the plenum system requires more fabrication, but thinking about the amount of modification necessary to install the ITB's, there's probably not a lot in it. Whatever floats your boat as they say....

ATB, Geoff.

I think Bill's off on holidays for a week or 2 at the moment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.