Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: q-plates
heyzee

posted on 25/1/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
q-plates

what do you have to dso to stop your car getting a q-plate and to get a age related one .just some simple pointers in the right direction would be nice
David Jenkins

posted on 26/1/03 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
As a matter of interest - why bother?

What's so bad about a 'Q' plate? As far as I'm concerned I'll be happy to get my car on the road, no matter what the registration!

As a matter of interest, this month's Which Kit says that you'll be able to get personalised 'Q' plates soon...

cheers (and don't take me too seriously )

David

rayward

posted on 26/1/03 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
from what i've heard you need three major components from your donor car (engine,gearbox and axle perhaps) to get the donor cars reg no but i don't know if this is guaranteed!!!!
stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/1/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
you need to show that many parts are from one car and need the log book. You also need to be able to prove the chassis was 'new' ie keep the receipts from your steel and alu purchases.

To me, before I was an enlightened builder, a "Q' plate was some kinda lesser form of life. This stigma is also held by others and I suspect your car will command a better price when you sell it if its not Q.

Also, if you want to pretend its summat different, not a kit car, then Q blows that pretence away.

atb

steve

Highcost builder

posted on 26/1/03 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

you need to show that many parts are from one car and need the log book.

Had the chap around from the mot last week didnt want the log book and said an age related plate looked a possibility

Mark H

posted on 27/1/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
An age related plate may well be a possiblity, with even the SVA man saying the car is "age related" enough, and you've used the pre-requisit amount of parts, AND you've got the V5 to back it up.

The problem can be when you go to the local friendly VRO, and a cardigan wearing rubber stamper (their job, not rhyming slang) choses to issue a Q coz its not a ford or vauxhall, whatever it says on your SVA pass form.

This has been asked about loads (including myself) - look in the search.

My opinion has changed from when i first thought about the Q plate, and similar to Steve and David, who cares?

In fact, I think a Q means that more "normal" people will know you built it yourself, and its not a £25k Caterham (but this picks up another thread!).

I saw the article about Q plates too. Even though its hard to justify (c. £400 buys a lot of shiny trick bits) it would look cool to have the plate Q1 ###, don't you think?

I'm in the final throws of finishing a locost, and the Q plate issue is the furthest thing from my mind, and as someone said to me when i asked this q, you can't see it when you're in it!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kingr

posted on 27/1/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was originally hoping not to have a Q plate, but having heard that personallised q plates are coming in, I quite want one because I've thought of the coolest number plate which looks like my name with one letter missing!!

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/1/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
hicost builder - i wonder how you are going to get an age realted plate if you dont have proof (v5) of the age of the major donor.....you have some other way?

I would prefer not to have a Q. However, if I had a button I could press that would have the car finished today on a Q plate, id press it!!!!!

atb

steve

mdc124

posted on 20/2/03 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I really really didn't want a Q plate - ask MK & PTM, An age related one would be great, but I'm just so looking forward to driving it that it doesn't really matter.

As they say - you can't see it from the drivers seat - and if you can its either fallen off or you've messed up BIG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 21/2/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I was originally hoping not to have a Q plate, but having heard that personallised q plates are coming in, I quite want one because I've thought of the coolest number plate which looks like my name with one letter missing!!

Kingr

Q11EEN with the fixing screw between the ones?
Gotta be better than ending with an "R".

Just kidding!
Can't think of any name using a "Q" other than Quentin. Then it could be Q113NTN?

Terry

Spyderman

robinbastd

posted on 21/2/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
My poor brother is called Quintin. Nuff said!
Ian

Viper

posted on 22/2/03 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
How about Q11cky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.