Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How long do spend on your build per week?
Alan B

posted on 2/3/03 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
How long do spend on your build per week?

I'm just trying to see what is typical....and who has way too much time on their hands..

I spend about 20 hours per week on mine.

[Edited on 2/3/03 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 2/3/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I only get to work on mine on a Sunday as it's not at home

Still we get things done although slowly. Today we managed to get the MK Rollbar welded into place, fasten the scuttle down, weld brackets for the master brake cylinder and 1/2 fasten the nosecone on.

Still, one day it will be finished

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 2/3/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Very lucky if I see mine 2hrs a month, mind you if I learnt to weld things may be different,

plus the fact the cars 20 miles away.

Dan

Mark H

posted on 3/3/03 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I spend a couple of hours in the garage in the evenings, plus say 5 most weekends. Sadly, this is not quality time, and could probably do the same amount of work in two hours!

Wired up my engine bay this weekend, so am pretty happy! And drove it round the cul de sac (got up to 2nd!)...

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kingr

posted on 3/3/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
For me, the biggest limiter is money, not time. When I've got the bits I need, I can spend about 3 hours a night during the week and all weekend working on it, but normally I'm waiting to buy the next bit. I'm reconditioning the donor bits at the moment, and I wouldn't want to spend that long doing it, wearing a respirator every day for a week ain't much fun.

Kingr

Jasper

posted on 3/3/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Full day on Wednesday, and most mornings for an hour or more b4 work (I dont open my shop till 10am !!)
Mark H

posted on 3/3/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper

What do you do/sell?

Mark Harrison and

Jasper

posted on 3/3/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't possibly say on this 'Oh so manly, boys toys, kind-a website'.

Ok, Ok, I'll come clean - we sell Teddy Bears, the very expensive collectors ones, from a shop in The Lanes in Brighton. It's been a family business for over 25 years.

(Now runs off and ducks for cover from all the flack that's about to decend)

Peteff

posted on 3/3/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Famous builder.

wearing a respirator every day for a week ain't much fun.
Is Christopher Reeve building a locost. It's safer than riding horses.

Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's some t*%t in a locost just hit a speed bump.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 3/3/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno what Christopher Reeve has to do with anything, but the reason I've been wearing a respirator lots is because I've been wire brushing the rust off my donor parts and painting them with red oxide primer and xylene based enamel, so, not safer than riding horses.

Kingr

Mark H

posted on 3/3/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
"Ok, Ok, I'll come clean - we sell Teddy Bears"

Jasper - it took real guts (stuffing?) to tell us. Well done. Could have been worse down in Brighton. It's alright I'm an accountant - there said it.

Perhaps we could make a new club (!) for non-mechanic/engineer locost builders, to rival all others!

Perhaps I'll start a poll!

Name ideas?

(Kin ell)

Mark Harrison and

James

posted on 4/3/03 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
I'm just trying to see what is typical....and who has way too much time on their hands..

I spend about 20 hours per week on mine.

[Edited on 2/3/03 by Alan B]

About 15per week I guess which is nowhere near enough!

Is it me or is it far too easy to go in the garage, not be quite sure how to do the next bit so you waste a couple of hours 'just having a tidy-up'?!

Forcing myself just to get on with stuff has definately helped recently!

James

kingr

posted on 4/3/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hehe, I spent a few hours last Sunday vacuuming one side of my garage, I think it was worthwhile though, countless chops with a 14" abrasive chopsaw had left grind dust you could drown in. The floor started off black and ended out bright white (ignoring the oil slick from attacking my engine). Just the other side to do now!

Kingr

Wadders

posted on 4/3/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yup i guess i'm kidding myself i hit the 15-20hrs per week button, i most likely do spend that amount of time in the garage
but thinking about it this prolly breaks down to 5hrs thinking,5hrs doing and 10hrs bloody tidying up afterwards!

Oh and BTW Jasper, selling Teddy Bears is
about the coolest way of earning a crust
i can think of. Well apart from maybe building fast cars or being a gigolo.

Ah well back to the garage to sweep up.

Wadders

[Edited on 4/3/03 by Wadders]

Jasper

posted on 4/3/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Alan, well I'm doing one of the other three and done the last one!!

BTW Got myself a second-hand carbon fibre ex-R1 exhaust today - very nice.

locodude

posted on 4/3/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
After 10 months of hard graft, mine's been on the road for about 21 months now and all I do is chuck a bucket of water on it and give it a once over with an oily rag (wifes knickers!).
'Puts feet up and smuglylights big cigar!'
Only now I work in the kit Car business and have less time than I ever had!!!:

auzziejim

posted on 4/3/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Smug B@stard

well locodude that will teach you to be so smug wont it?

james

Wadders

posted on 4/3/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger
Iv'e just realised,you actually do one of my top 3 jobs! Spawny git. Mind you i dont suppose they're all fast cars your building, as most of em will prolly have a boat anchor under the bonnet.
(pulls tin hat firmly over ears,and closes curtains in case of sniper fire)
Wadders

Originally posted by locodude
After 10 months of hard graft, mine's been on the road for about 21 months now and all I do is chuck a bucket of water on it and give it a once over with an oily rag (wifes knickers!).
'Puts feet up and smuglylights big cigar!'
Only now I work in the kit Car business and have less time than I ever had!!!:

[Edited on 4/3/03 by Wadders]

robinbastd

posted on 4/3/03 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper,
I sell Teddy bears AND flowers! Which is why I started the Valentine's day thread. It's Mothers day soon..................
As for build time.. my workshop has a roof again, at long last and once it dries out I'll reconnect the electrickery
Ian

paulf

posted on 4/3/03 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I also have this problem , I have no space and keep putting bits on the car to get them out of the way only to take them off to do the next job.
I also have a lathe and milling machine and end up with swarf as well as grinding dust everywhere.As the weather was good last week i pushed the car out and cleaned the workshop and put down the carpet i have been storing all winter so will have to try and keep it a bit cleaner now.
I have started making a list of jobs to do and try to tick one off each week .
Paul

About 15per week I guess which is nowhere near enough!

Is it me or is it far too easy to go in the garage, not be quite sure how to do the next bit so you waste a couple of hours 'just having a tidy-up'?!

James

bob

posted on 4/3/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote

James

SNAP james that is a typical day in the garage for for me,i get the job done in the end but it allways seems to an hour to do THE job.
Not too sure about the other 4 hours though

Alan B

posted on 5/3/03 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

James

Oh boy I wish I had that problem......my shop must be biggest craphole of all the builders here...there cannot be anyone less tidy than me......when I do tidy up I really enjoy it, just don't do it enough...
I still have nearly all the remains of my body plug...just so I can sift through and reuse pieces of wood etc......I'm certain that clearing it all out and risking having to "re-buy" something would be more time/cost effective

Simon

posted on 5/3/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by James

James
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James,

I had last week off to work on the car. Big job sheet to hand with estimates time for each job.

One of them was "Make exhaust - 3 hours"

I think I spent 3 hours thinking about it!! Another couple doing one side, andother couple to finish, then I can do the other side!

ATB

Simon

Sparky

posted on 27/3/03 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have everything I need except time!

Chassis, fibreglass, donor, engine, tools... even a nice dry garage to do it in. Just no bloody time. I probably manage about two hours a week. Should be completed around Summer 2006 at this rate!

Think I might have to take Friday off work so I can get the engine in at least! Rescued attachment Sierra04.JPG
Rescued attachment Sierra04.JPG

James

posted on 28/3/03 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
I have everything I need except time!

Should be completed around Summer 2006 at this rate!

As far as I know it takes on average about 1000 hours to build a book car- with most people saying they spend an average of 5 hours a week on the car that's 200 weeks build time ie. 4 years! Not including holidays etc.

Just to depress you... :-)

Come on people- build, build!!!

Cheers,

James

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.