New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Top tips
Alan B

posted on 6/3/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Top tips

OK guys let's have your top 3 tips for car building.....with no repeats
I'll start:

1 - Get a digital camera.....
I've taken about 2000 pictures of my build and it's been very useful to look back on stuff that is now hidden or inaccesible...plus it is a great motivator when you think you aren't getting anywhere.

2 - Buy whole cars for donor parts...
Yes, I know this isn't practical for everyone, but it saves you a lot of time and money. Also, don't strip them down any sooner than needed...the donor car makes a great storage place with the stuff still attached

3 - Put a price on your time....
Some things you must buy, some things you must make, but what about the either/or cases? Look at it this way....say you have to finish for the day ask yourself how much would an extra hour be worth...10p, 1 pound, 5 pounds? If you have a lot of time and little money you will set a low price....but still set one...it is easy to dick around for hours only to save a pound or two....It is really time you are wasting that you should spend on stuff you CAN'T buy........I know I really should not have made my pedals...far too much time spent for the money saved.

OK, who's next?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 6/3/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

How about:

1. Prepare all you donor parts thoroughly before assembly.

I've taken everything apart a few times just to paint this or that. Admittedly, I had to be able to move car around, so I've half an excuse.

2. Don't rush into buying things.

I asked someone if he knew of a Rover V8 (his son had one). So I bought it on the spur of the moment (I've no doubt it's ok) but it came with no clutch/gearbox or starter motor. I know if I'd been patient, I could have got an engine/ box and all ancilliaries for half to 2/3rd's what it's going to cost.

3. Don't underestimate how much time jobs take to do.

I had last week off work, hoping to reassemble everything, having finally prepared all donor parts, and was going to try starting engine on Tuesday. On Saturday, I was still making (and will continue this w/end) making an exhaust.

There's definitely a few more, but they're my main three.

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 6/3/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Alan

Not wanting to dilute the thread too much, but with regard your last point re making things.

I needed a fuel pump blanking plate, so made one. Took probably ten minutes, and looks/fits fine, and cost about 4p in scrap metal. Noticed I could something that looks identical from Real Steel for £6.3 (+vat/del call it a tenner!!)). So I guess my time's worth £50/hour.

This car is going to be worth an absolute fortune!!

ATB

Simon

gjn200

posted on 6/3/03 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Heres mine:

1) Would you buy something you'd made? If not try again.

2) Have time away from it, don't make it a chore.

3) Don't take 2000 pictures, people will think your odd.

<- Me!

Alan B

posted on 6/3/03 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
" 3) Don't take 2000 pictures, people will think your odd. "

I exagerated, maybe only 1800 or so...plus it's only odd if you insist on showing them all.....

Anyway back to it...good posts keep it up...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 6/3/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have only one tip, but it's a biggie!

Alan B, Steve G and the hippy read no further, you won't like it!!!!

Here goes:-

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!

I reckon my build time was doubled by things that I added to the car that have no impact on the driving experience eg.

the boot and steel lid, the heater, the full interior, carpet, fancy dash,etc, paint job. Build it to the book and you'll be on the road MUCH quicker!

Here endeth the lesson.

Cheers

Chris

oh maybe one more thing, flowers and chockys for her indoors once in a while!

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Metal Hippy™

posted on 6/3/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cobblers

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/3/03 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Actually Chris, I WAS gonna recommend to stay as close to the book car as poss, or expect to spend a lot more time on the project.

On the one hand, I really look forward to turning up in summat different and saying its based on a locost - probably some time in 2015 - more realistically about summer next year - 4 years!

As well as KISS (keep it simple stupid - and to a great extent Im glad I didnt) - seriously consider a bike engine. Its light, got a lot of power, and keeps the car light and fast. Saw a wally rip up the tarmac on a fast bike yesterday and thought how nice that sound would be in a car! I got a nice burbling V6 tho!

DONT EVEN THINK of building a locost unless you have a garage. Or like to soldier on against the odds. If you have to build outside, buy an MK indy or - gasp - a robin hood. Why suffer longer than you need to.

Keep all the bits from your donor you can. You will need that part you took down the dump a week after you trashed it.

Dont spend too much time on here - you could be in the garage. (I dont follow this rule).

Dont, under any circumstances, say anything remotely off topic, funny, or controversial on TOL.

Think hard before you make the car wider, longer, taller. My car is 4 ins higher off the ground, 10 ins or so longer, and six ins wider and is a giant compared to a cateringvan superlite. If you want a tiny racer, you will need to hang your arm out of the side. And a few more bits perhaps....

Before you dump your donor shell, block off the gearlever aperture. Cats get in and might get sent to the crusher. I had to evict 3 in the two weeks it was waiting for car heaven.

Dont even think of welding your own chassis unless you are confident in your welding. Practice first.

Building the chassis is the most enjoyable bit. A lot of visual progress. It gets slower from that point!

atb

Steve

Rorty

posted on 7/3/03 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote

Rorty's Top Tips

1. Don't pay any attention to anything you read on this forum.....half the lies you read aren't true.

2. Take all my posts with a pinch of salt. I'm always having a chuckle, except when I'm being serious.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Rorty

posted on 7/3/03 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote

1. Buy a note book.
  2. Log your hours to the nearest 1/4.
  3. Keep every single receipt, no matter how small.
  4. Record all formulae and data used during the build.
  5. Every time you buy something, ask for a technical sheet for it. You'd be amazed what some companies print.
  6. Clean up regularly, it's good for the morale, and you often find stuff.
  7. If you need a tool once, you'll need it again. Buy it. You'll find many other jobs for it too.
  8. If you don't know, ask someone who does. When your car's finished, your life may depend on it.
  9. Always wear a parka to the car wrecker's. Parkas have big pockets.
  10. Don't become obsessed or it will erode any relationship.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

David Jenkins

posted on 7/3/03 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
1. Don't buy anything until you need it - you may find that the bargain you bought many months ago is no longer what you want (you should see the size of my "unused bits" box!)

2. Sometimes the project drags on (5 years in my case!) - my solution was to go into the garage and do any little job instead of wasting my time watching rubbish TV programmes. If you do one little fiddly job every time you go into the garage, then all of a sudden things get done. It also means that if you get a whole day to work on the car, you can concentrate on the big jobs.

3. If you're welding the chassis, spend a bit of money to make life easier - false economies waste time and may risk your life. This includes:
a. Get a good mask - automatic if you can afford it, or try the BOC/ESAB ones (ithey have a very large window, most of which is 'gas welding' grade. The bit you look through has an extra filter to protect your eyes. This means that you can tilt your head a little to aim, then tilt back & weld).
b. Get good clothing - thick cotton overalls, good welding gloves, and a leather apron (this cost me a grand total of £20 at a show!). This will protect you from burns - and more importantly, prevents the worry of burns while you're welding.
c. Get good gas - argon/CO2 mix - much easier than plain CO2. Both work, but the mix is easier for a novice.
d. Be very critical of your own welding - do loads of practice pieces, then saw them up or beat them senseless with a hammer. If the penetration is poor, or they fall apart, then practice some more. If you suspect that a chassis weld is not up to standard then grind it out and do it again.
e. Get an angle grinder (and gloves and eye protection!). This tool is essential.

Phew!

David

MK9R

posted on 7/3/03 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
3 tips if your missus is a she devil.

1. After returning from the the garage, show or anything kit car related:- Block all orifices, wear full body armour, do not speak unless an emergency, buy her lots of expensive things.

2. Divide the actual amount you have spent by at least 4 before you tell her

3. Remove own testicles before embarking on project, it is a lot less painful if you use a sharp knife rather than the blunt razor she shaves her legs with that she has in store for you

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 7/3/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
oh yeah, and get a good lawyer!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Chris Leonard

posted on 7/3/03 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
My top tips:

1) do it or supervise it yourself: Went to work, with all good intentions the father in law went in the garage, that evening he came over and anounced that he had the wiring loom out the car! - no labels just a pile of wires. Cant critise too much as he has been a good help but he is of the rip it out and hit it with a big hammer brigade

2) Look after your eyes :as previoulsy mentioned - get a good welding mask. I took the lens out to clean it and must have left a little gap or something when I put it back in. Believe me arc eye is f*~#ing painfull. Having your eye lids peeled inside out and the doctor probing around with a stick incase it was metal splinters is not nice. Also make sure you use protective glasses when grinding

3) Buy the bits you need little and often - then the misses will have no idea how much this 250 car really costs

kingr

posted on 7/3/03 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the health and safety comments. I have and use on a regular basis : Thick welding gloves, thin welding gloves, respirator, goggles, ear protection, face protection, welding face protection. The worst thing is grinding and wire brushing, a lot of particulates, sparks, noise and risk of injury. I use the thick welding gloves for grinding and general hand protection and the thin ones for welding, they give far better feel than thick ones, and although feel isn't super critical in MIG, it helps more than you think. I don't have a lot of money to play with, but one thing I did spend out on was an eland automatic variable colour face shield, it's just so convenient and quick to be able to see exactly what you're doing before, during and after a weld. If you can, give one a try, you'll never want to go back to fixed colour lenses.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/3/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly David....

Three points, with the last point being sub sectioned abcd is cheating and fools no one

secondly, when you wear goggles make sure they are really tight fitting. I had a stray spark go under and into my eye a year ago. They get the metal out with a hook. Not as bad as it sounds, but best avoided!

Keeping the wife happy is certainly something to watch.

atb

steve

Dick Axtell

posted on 7/3/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Gaiters

From the ex-Army stores, buy some webbing gaiters. Very useful for protecting the zone between overall bottoms and boots/shoes. Welding sparks popping down your footwear can be very uncomfortble.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

David Jenkins

posted on 7/3/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Steve: Pthpthpth (blowing large rasberry!)

Dick: I've got slightly over-large overalls that I let hang over the top of my steel-toecap boots. Seems to keep most of the spatter out of the way. Mind you, on the hot summer days (when?) when I've not worn all the gear, I've ended up with a few holes in my socks! (the missus hasn't worked out what's causing them...)

rgds,

David

Stu16v

posted on 7/3/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Welding sparks popping down your footwear can be very uncomfortble.

Hehehe!!! Good one Dick! Had the blob of molten metal in the boot.... Looked like I was auditioning (badly) for Riverdance!

My tips...

When things are not going to plan, and you are wondering why the f**k you ever started the f**king thing in the first place, blag a ride in someone elses car. Works wonders.....

If you are building your own kit (and to some extent, this applies to builds too) try and think/plan as far ahead as possible, and trial fit components. How frustrating it is to find that the item you have spent hours making is no good, because it is in the way of something else...

Forget about deadlines. It would be great to have the car ready for the summer etc, but why compromise the build. Take your time, and make the car you want. You will be kicking yourself for years after whilst putting things right....

Dont forget, it's (supposed to be) a hobby. Enjoy....

Get yourself a decent rollbar. See the MK rollover bar club for details....

Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Wadders

posted on 8/3/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
1-Save money on fancy chrome bits, by simply saving all your used cooking foil and sellotaping it to the required parts.

2- Before putting on safety glasses,apply a blob of silicone behind each ear,that way you'll never forget to wear them.

3-Hacksaw all your spanners in half, then you will have twice as many at your disposal, and nuts will be impossible to overtighten.

Wadders.

Alan B

posted on 8/3/03 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like someone's been reading Viz a lot....

Surely everyone has some spanners sawn in half???

Stu16v

posted on 8/3/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Surely everyone has some spanners sawn in half???

Oh yes. And ones that are bent to go round corners!

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.