Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Your Opinions Wanted
Shaun

posted on 9/3/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your Opinions Wanted

Have been hanging around awhile,have read most of the posts but have got to the time when i need to make up my mind on which way to start. So in your opinions is it better to start from scratch or buy a kit.
To give you a bit of background i have already re built a vehicle from the chassis up so a kit is feasable but would like more of a challenge,or is a kit enough of a challenge.

theconrodkid

posted on 9/3/03 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
depends on your welding/fabricating skills
it,s very satisfying to build your own chassis but takes a lot of time,i worked it out ,there was no difference in price between building n buying

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Shaun

posted on 9/3/03 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Skills

Can weld, mostly on car panels though,did do some on last chassis(was 35 years old), fabricating i'm not to bad plenty of jig and fixture making and repairing at work,engineering wise i'm not to bad and can think my way out of most problems.
Suppose biggest hurdle to me at the moment is the initial cash out lay for a ready built chassis

Alan B

posted on 9/3/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you already have the skills to do the welding...have you got a MIG?..that would be the next question..

I'd nearly always say weld your own frame for many reasons...but then I am biased...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 9/3/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
well my chassis cost £43 + hours n hours of fun, @ £400 for a chassis bought i think people are been more than fair given the time put in, BUT, i enjoyed every minute of it.

Jasper

posted on 9/3/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I probably spent the same making as buying as I had to buy all the kit to do it, BUT I really enjoyed it, now have lots of great tools and learnt a new skill, and have used is SO much since.

What a lot of people forget is a chassis is £400, but then you've got all the suspension to buy as well which you could otherwise make, and you've gotta buy or pay somebody else to make all the extra bits and pieces your gonna need, like pedal box etc.

david walker

posted on 9/3/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Conrod about the finished price. I didn't save anything over buying a kit.

The plus is, you'll derive more satisfaction from building your own car, it will be more individual when finished and on the financial side you don't have to lay out a dollop of money up front.

Buy the book, buy some steel and start. If you've got the MIG set then you are underway for well less than £100.

Downside is it'll take you longer.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Shaun

posted on 10/3/03 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx guys you have helped me get one step closer to making a start, all i have to do is find somebody who sells RHS locally sheet steel is easy (plenty at work) beg me welder back off me dad and i'm away, once again guys thanx.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.