Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone from germany?
hexxi

posted on 7/9/06 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
anyone from germany?

I`m looking for someone who is from germany. I would like to get a little bit information what are the changes to get a self made car registered in Germany.
Humbug

posted on 7/9/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - I am not sure what the rules are in Germany, but I sold a built and registered kit car to a German guy who was going to take the car back to Germany and re-register.

I think it may be similar to Netherlands where, I understand, it is not possible to directly register a self-built car, but if you build it, transport it to the UK and get it SVAd and registered, then officially "export" the car back to NL. Since the car will have a UK V5C registration document, I think that all EU countries have to recognise the registration and allow the import and re-registration.

I would think that you should be able to get information from whatever government department is responsible for dealing with personal car imports in Germany or your state.

Anyone else got any knowledge?

ed72

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
From what I understand, to get around the emissions, you have to have an engine from before 1990. I think there are a few more restrictions too for cars after 1990. A guy from Platten bought a car from me (he dealt in kit cars) and was only interested in the car if it was registered/built before 1990 as it was easier to import and re-register in Germany. HTH
lightspear27

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Hi - I am not sure what the rules are in Germany, but I sold a built and registered kit car to a German guy who was going to take the car back to Germany and re-register.

I think it may be similar to Netherlands where, I understand, it is not possible to directly register a self-built car, but if you build it, transport it to the UK and get it SVAd and registered, then officially "export" the car back to NL. Since the car will have a UK V5C registration document, I think that all EU countries have to recognise the registration and allow the import and re-registration.

I would think that you should be able to get information from whatever government department is responsible for dealing with personal car imports in Germany or your state.

Anyone else got any knowledge?

RIGHT !!!

It's the same in Belgium.

I have already registered two UK kitcars in Belgium and am preparing to register a third one.

All EU countries HAVE TO accept a car previously registered in an other EU country. There is a european law for this. I have experienced less trouble registering my Ginetta and my Midas in Belgium than some guys registering well known cars from well known manufacturers (Mercedes, Vw, Audi, ...) coming from non EU countries.

If you want to build your car in Germany, you'll have to register it in UK first.

Good luck with your build and registration.

Stefano

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.