Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost trike forum - is there one?
carcentric

posted on 24/8/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Locost trike forum - is there one?

Is there a Locost trike forum? Google didn't find any.

I've seen Gibbs' page (Formula 1 trike), but I'd like some feedback from trike builders about this very Locost idea: http://www.carcentric.com/SpitTrike.htm

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

bob

posted on 24/8/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good call.

I reckon this would be a popular forum,maybe chris might add it on here somewhere.

eddie

posted on 24/8/03 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
cant wait to hear all those tales of robin reliants turned into the ultimate road machine

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 24/8/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
It never ceases to amaze me that whatever there is out there to use, someone has to do the opposite.
There are guys trying to work out how to use bike engines in cars and converting the chain drive to propshaft. Then that site shows how you could convert a car engine and prop shaft to drive a chain and motorbike rear wheel!
Why not just use a motorcyle rear end that is shaft driven?

Sheesh!

Terry

Spyderman

JoelP

posted on 24/8/03 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
On a similar tack, i was at the coast today and saw an unbelieveably nice gold wing trike, look so cool i was nearly drooling. Really does take the biscuit for style...
pbura

posted on 24/8/03 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I like your page, Doc, and the Morgan F pictures. How about that chain drive? Gives "rip you a new one" a totally unique meaning!

Not long ago, on another forum, a poster brought up the bike-engined Grinnall Scorpion as an inspiration:

http://www.grinnallcars.com/content/home/scorpion_III.html

Interesting idea.

carcentric

posted on 25/8/03 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Reply to Terry's question

I did look into shaft drive bikes' rear ends (that doesn't sound too proper), but there were three reasons to avoid them given the rest of the Spitfire Trike project:
1) unlike a car's driveshaft (propshaft) that goes right down the center of the vehicle, a bike's driveshaft goes alongside the rear wheel, so if the two driveshafts were put in line in a Spitfire, the bike's rear wheel would be off center,
2) most car driveshafts rotate counterclockwise when viewed from the rear axle, but most bike driveshafts rotate clockwise (net effect, four speeds reverse and one speed forward), and
3) several bike guys cautioned me that bike shaft drive rear ends might not stand up to the forces generated by the mighty Triumph 1493cc engine - no, actually it was the weight of my project (probably double what the bike it would be taken from weighed).

There's also the Locost Imperative: "If the donor car has one, use it."

Hence, Spitfire differential, Spitfire wheels, etc. I even think I might be able to fashion trailing arms out of frame extensions that the '78-80 Spitfire had to tie in the rear bumper . . .

M D "Doc" Nugent

Spyderman

posted on 25/8/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carcentric
I did look into shaft drive bikes' rear ends (that doesn't sound too proper), but there were three reasons to avoid them given the rest of the Spitfire Trike project:
1) unlike a car's driveshaft (propshaft) that goes right down the center of the vehicle, a bike's driveshaft goes alongside the rear wheel, so if the two driveshafts were put in line in a Spitfire, the bike's rear wheel would be off center,
2) most car driveshafts rotate counterclockwise when viewed from the rear axle, but most bike driveshafts rotate clockwise (net effect, four speeds reverse and one speed forward), and
3) several bike guys cautioned me that bike shaft drive rear ends might not stand up to the forces generated by the mighty Triumph 1493cc engine - no, actually it was the weight of my project (probably double what the bike it would be taken from weighed).

There's also the Locost Imperative: "If the donor car has one, use it."

Hence, Spitfire differential, Spitfire wheels, etc. I even think I might be able to fashion trailing arms out of frame extensions that the '78-80 Spitfire had to tie in the rear bumper . . .

Hey, I'm not knocking!
I just find it amusing that you want to go in the opposite direction to everybody else.
But to counter your points;
1) You could always use UJ's to change path of propshaft. Would need bearings to support it admittedly.
2) There are motorcyles with shaft drive that rotate in the right direction. I have seen bikes with left hand and right hand shaft drive. I'm pretty sure the Honda CX had right hand shaft drive. This would need to rotate counter clockwise.
3) I don't think the weight would be a major issue as the bikes in question were well able to tow a sidecar around with 2 passengers.
I like your design layout and how you've worked around the problems, but why stick with what you have when you could sel off the car and buy more suitable components to fit around your desired end product. At best it will be a compromise and will excel at nothing that could not be made easier with other components.
Gone are the days when you are limited to what you can use, so why not take advantage?

Just my thoughts!

Terry

ps, I also like three wheelers, especially as her indoors (correction; her out shopping) will not let me have another bike!
pps, I just noticed! Your wheelbase will be longer as the wheel will be behind differential and not along side it.

[Edited on 25/8/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

ChrisW

posted on 25/8/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cast your votes! Shall I add a three wheeled forum?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 25/8/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
On balance I'd say yes.

My big concern though would be good posts about engines, transmissions, frames etc. being lost on there.

I'd ask everyone to think carefully before posting "Is this really just of interest to 3-wheelers, or could others benefit?"

ChrisW

posted on 25/8/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've been hassling people about that quite a bit recently in the MK forum

Chris

My gaff my rules

Viper

posted on 25/8/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Should you have a 3 wheel forum then I guess a certain person will soon want a Non conformist, morgan lookalike forum

carcentric

posted on 25/8/03 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thread-starter's view

As long as there are no objections to an occasional thread about Locost Trikes in the Locost Related area of this Forum, I think that would suffice. If there get to be 4-5 active trike threads at any given time on a regular basis, it might make sense to segregate them then. Count that as one contrarian vote against a new forum, I guess.

Now, for my periodic rejoinder to Terry:
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
Hey, I'm not knocking!

Didn't think you were - no offense taken.

quote:
But to counter your points; . . .

Agreed on all counterpoints - they all just add to the cost.

quote:
I like your design layout and how you've worked around the problems, but why stick with what you have when you could sel off the car and buy more suitable components . . .

I only paid the US equivalent of GBP 50 for the Spitfire (the body and interior are pretty foul), so no way am I gonna get enough from selling it to buy anything "more suitable."

quote:
Gone are the days when you are limited to what you can use, so why not take advantage?

Actually, HERE are the days when I'm limited to what I can use. I retired last year and am now living off a pension and savings. That adds to the challenge considerably! Luckily, figuring out new ways to use old stuff is a lot more enjoyable than just paying for more stuff.

quote:
pps, I just noticed! Your wheelbase will be longer as the wheel will be behind differential and not along side it.

If you look at the Morgan side view (above the chain drive drawing), there's plenty of room between the seat and the rear wheel for a differential, so, yes, the wheelbase would be ~17" longer than the Spitfire's stock 83" if I go that way. If I go the Roadstercycle route, though, I'd shorten the frame and driveshaft (passenger would be sitting on a raised part of the bike seat over the differential - I hear women like that).

All very stimulating feedback - I appreciate it! But do you realize I do most of my thinking and writing while you're ASLEEP?!!

M D "Doc" Nugent

chrisg

posted on 25/8/03 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of a three wheel forum

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Viper

posted on 25/8/03 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
I like the idea of a three wheel forum

Cheers

Chris

so come on wheres the puch line?

bob

posted on 25/8/03 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a trike last week that was built up from engine and running gear from mainly cars,rear axle from a cortina with an RV8 for power.

Handle bars and forks looked homemade,it was as locost as you could get i reckon.

There's a guy at Newlands Corner when we meet there with a Ford V6 for poer on his trike,car or trike building its all the same at the end.

I think it would be a good section and i'm interested in the lack of SVA

Peteff

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Lack of SVA.

How much longer will that last? There have been rumours of a trike SVA circulating for a couple of years now. Also is it correct that there is a weight limit on trikes, something like 440kg, which I read somewhere after which it is classed as a car even if it only has three wheels. Perhaps Lenny could sort us out, he seems up on these things.

yours, Pete.

P.S. If you read this Lenny, we are sorting my mate out with chair fitted to his Guzzi, gave up on the trike idea.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Spyderman

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all for a three wheel section!

"All very stimulating feedback - I appreciate it! But do you realize I do most of my thinking and writing while you're ASLEEP?!! " carcentric.

I do most of my thinking whilst I'm asleep as well!
It's the only time I make sense!

I fancy doing a three wheel car, but it has to be economical, so would not want a car engine. A small bike engine upto about 600cc would be ideal.
Motorbikes and three wheelers are in the family blood. My Uncle was forever rolling over his Bond three wheelers (not the bond bug cheese wedge things). He has corners named after him where he kept demolishing fences upside down!

[Edited on 25/8/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
My Uncle was forever rolling over his Bond three wheelers

My mate's dad had one of those. Two wheels at the front and one at rear, 250cc Villiers 2 stroke engine and a kick start under the bonnet, you had to pick the back end up and carry it round to get back out of his drive as it had no reverse. You had to have a death wish to go out in that, it wallowed worse than a hippo and steered about the same.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I was speaking to Richard Oakes the other day, his Avion 3 wheelers will have to have SVA tests very shortly, he has been redeveloping the car to take acount of this.
Noodle

posted on 25/8/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I parked next to a Grinnal Scorpion at Shelsley Walsh hillclimb last weekend. Cracking looking motor. Kids were very impressed. Used the trailing arm from the BMW bike donor it came from too.

Neil

ChrisW

posted on 25/8/03 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Those Scorpions are very sweet looking cars. Probably what made me aware of kit cars when my mate showed me a pic of one at college. Reckoned his Dad was going to get one - dunno if he ever did tho!

Chris

My gaff my rules

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/8/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
is this one?

This was at Newark and looked quite nice. Rescued attachment 3wd.jpg
Rescued attachment 3wd.jpg

carcentric

posted on 25/8/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
What's that red and white job behind it? Some kind of repli-trike?

[Edited on 26/8/03 by carcentric]

M D "Doc" Nugent

Rorty

posted on 26/8/03 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be very keen to see a trike section here at Locost Builders, perhaps sub-divided into BETs and CETs, or shaft drive and chain drive.
I've actually started my bike-engined Tadpole, so I have a vested interest.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.