Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new cars
timf

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
new cars

having spent over 2 hrs last night trying to change the rear stop light bulb on my jeep i admitted defeat and this morning took it to the dealership to replace a bulb !
if they make it so you can't even change a bulb what will happen to our donors

Peteff

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Brother in law asked me to change a headlamp bulb in his 4x4. I had to take the air filter out to do it, right ballache for a simple operation. He's got rid of it now 'cos everything on it costs a fortune to fix.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Metal Hippy

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Never mind future donors Tim, when you gonna send me that stuff I asked for....

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

timf

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
Never mind future donors Tim, when you gonna send me that stuff I asked for....

when i get a spare few mins at the weekend ( i had 2 weeks stuck in the most boring place in the usa for work (midland) where they have 1 street 1 bar 1 hotel and f all to do and no internet access )

Metal Hippy

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'll consider forgiving you then.

But only if I get to drive whatever you build with the 350...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
the 318i beemer has really easy to get to rear lights - they come out throu a little panel in the boot - so easy to get to that the panel was open and assembly loose when I needed to get to em.

The fronts are a bit harder to get to - a little hatch in the back of the light has stuff close to it and its har don the fingers.

For the ultimate in accessbility problems.......

to get the starter out of a V12 xj-s, you have to remove the exhaust and steering rack.

atb

steve

timf

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
to do a full service on an pug 205 the dealership near me used to drop the subframe and work on the engine on the bench. !
locoboy

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I know why too, you need fingers like chop sticks to change the timing belt on those things.

Recently changed all the front suspension and tca bushes on my pug 205. Decided in my wisdom to go the whole hog and change the inner anti roll bar bearings too, ..........why, that involves dropping the front subframe and top engine mounts, my Sunday afternoon job resulted in me having to go to work in the F 27 on monday morning! oh well at least it wasnt raining.

[Edited on 4/9/03 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

DaveFJ

posted on 4/9/03 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Had to change a brake light 'bulb' on my Mitsubishi Gallant.....HMMMMMMMMMM...
you have to remove 4 nuts inside the boot and then push the grommet though the body so that the cluster can be removed from the outside of the car.....
When you finally get access you discover that it doesn't use conventional bulbs at all but proprietory (spelling?) 'filaments' - cost a bomb!

Grumble grumble

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone remember when you had to change the candles or top up the oil in the headlamps?

not me btw....

Alan B

posted on 4/9/03 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
...... i had 2 weeks stuck in the most boring place in the usa for work (midland) where they have 1 street 1 bar 1 hotel and f all to do and no internet access.......

Tim is that Midland, Texas?....or where?....

Just so as I can aviod it when I travel...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 4/9/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
2 hrs legal drive from detroit ie 120 miles ish
Alan B

posted on 4/9/03 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
2 hrs legal drive from detroit ie 120 miles ish

Ok...got it...near Saginaw and Bay City in Michigan....thanks for the tip...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah...

Ill go out of my way to avoid it on my way home from milton keynes today

I spent a night in Rochester, Kent once. What a place. Only claim to fame is that charlie dickens lived there until he was 6 or summat. Then journey on to the isle of sheppy, exstacy......

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

timf

posted on 4/9/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
i was tempted to hop on a plane at the weekend i was there and see about meeting up with a couple of you guys but then i couldn't get onto the internet to contack you guys so didn't.
MK9R

posted on 4/9/03 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not the newest of cars, but have you ever tried to change the glow plugs on a fiat Brava!!! 5 hours, no skin left on any part of the hand and a massive hatered for fiat = 4 new glow plugs fitted What a piece of poo !

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

theconrodkid

posted on 4/9/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
mk9r,did u take the pump off to do no2?i bottled out on one of them once and sent him to fiat,s,they broke the plug in the head and had to remove said head to get plug out,one of my better decisions

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ned

posted on 4/9/03 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
i had a similar problem when changing the glow plugs on a 306 1.9tdi something got in the way so i didn't bother changing one of them. It must have been one of the others that had broke as it started much easier afterwards!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

JoelP

posted on 4/9/03 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have to confess i wouldn't bother doing anything on my car myself, not worth it in my books. People do laugh when i say im building a car but i'm at the garage getting them to do the altenator etc.

That looked a pain, the alt on a 3ltr omega, had to take out most of the airways and then get underneath anyway.

My pal at the garage gets a discount on stuff, that he passes on, so if you give him a 5er to do an oil change you still save money over buying said oil yourself.

MrFluffy

posted on 4/9/03 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
garages

I put all our std cars in the garage to fix, I cant be doing with all that thin fingers round the back of the motor business. If im building something my #1 priority is ease of working on it later, flip fronts, easy access etc etc....
Having said that, poverty forced me to fit a replacement engine (cambelt snapped 8000kms before the interval ho hum) to the missus clio, and I was a bit disgusted to find out you have to take the gearbox out and all the halfshafts off etc because theres not clearance to split them in situ. What I was expecting to take a few hours jacking the box round ended up in a 2 day getting covered in crapathon where everything that could go wrong did (the engine hoist seals blowing was the icing on the cake)..
Standard cars? Id rather stick wasps up my bum....

Alan B

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I have to confess i wouldn't bother doing anything on my car myself, not worth it in my books. People do laugh when i say im building a car but i'm at the garage getting them to do the altenator etc.......

I understand what you are saying totally.....I f*****g hate working on regular production cars...love building my own though, different thing altogether IMO.....

Spyderman

posted on 4/9/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
The best part of using any donor is getting rid of all the extra crap they fit to the engines.
They say it is for efficiency, but you could save more fuel by it weighing less!

Spyderman

thekafer

posted on 4/9/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
modern cars

I hate working on modern cars so much that my daily driver is a 1965 Volkswagen microbus (engine is out in ten minutes!no s***!) I live in the land of monster v8 & v10 pickups so I really wee people off for driving slow but I love my bus and I'd rather take a 'slow beatin' than work on my wifes Dodge Crapavan. I like the thought of unbolting the mounts,disconnecting the lines and rolling the car off of the engine/tranny the way I see the SCCA guys do here.God I cant wait to finally be finished!Looks like that RS60 would be a breeze to work on, the way the entire engine deck lifts off the whole drive train.
timf

posted on 5/9/03 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
friend of mine had a vw f*ck-truck he got pissed with the 1300 engine so did some research and found the porche 911 engine will fit very easily even the turbo model very quick but scares you shitless in the wet
Spyderman

posted on 5/9/03 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thekafer
I hate working on modern cars so much that my daily driver is a 1965 Volkswagen microbus (engine is out in ten minutes!no s***!) I live in the land of monster v8 & v10 pickups so I really wee people off for driving slow but I love my bus and I'd rather take a 'slow beatin' than work on my wifes Dodge Crapavan. I like the thought of unbolting the mounts,disconnecting the lines and rolling the car off of the engine/tranny the way I see the SCCA guys do here.God I cant wait to finally be finished!Looks like that RS60 would be a breeze to work on, the way the entire engine deck lifts off the whole drive train.

Yep that was one of the benefits of the VW engine.
Plus you could pick the thing up by your self once you had it free of the car.
Near impossible to stall as well!
They suprise a lot of people with the off the line acceleration upto 30mph.
Downside of it was the clatter and lack of get up and go. They won't rev freely enough for me without spending loads of money. Also they need constant attention to keep them running right (valve adjustment, mixture setting, oil changes, etc).

I'm getting soft in my old age and can't be arsed fiddling all the time to keep it going.

Terry

Spyderman

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.