Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Cage - REALLY needed????
Dangle_kt

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Cage - REALLY needed????

Has anyone ever rolled a Locost?

They are pretty dam low and wide - if you have rolled one - what speed and what were the circumstances?

just interested

speedyxjs

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

welderman

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote

did he survive??????
thats bad

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

arrybradbury

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think the answer to the OP's question is yes ;-)
blakep82

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
probably not really needed on the road, but would you really want to wait til something happens to find out?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

locoR1

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote

Hope he was ok!!!!!!!!

After seeing that I've just moved a Roll Cage up to second on my list of winter upgrades

Dave...............

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

snapper

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
As we are all enthusiastic drivers a roll bar is worth having and in my opinion the bar adds to the look of the car.
Some early Lotus sevens and the early robin hoods were offered with the roll bar as an option but just look if something is missing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Stott

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the low and wide bit that we need to take into consideration, everyone I know who's rolled a car has either gone up / hit a bank (not the kind with money in) or spun and hit a kerb, this could happen to anyone in any car I guess, I'm making a big big cage, but that's partly to strengthen the rear of my car as at the moment it's held on with dust, cobwebs and luck.....
iank

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman

did he survive??????
thats bad

I believe he only broke an arm. Which is effectively nothing after an off of that magnitude.

More discussion about cages/that crash/binbags for condoms (!) in this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=56410

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Dangle_kt

posted on 24/9/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
WOW!

Scary stuff!

I was interested - I have a roll cage, but was just curious.

here is mine, its pretty substantial and means I have to climb in through the top! like dukes of hazard but with much less style or grace.

Simon

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I only have a hoop and backstays at the mo, and did have need (when I was adding the b/stays) to drive without protection. It felt like riding an m/c in t shirt and shorts

I will be having a front hoop and front rear connection soonish, mapbe with side impact protection and a removable screen (with integrated wiper)

ATB

Simon

Hellfire

posted on 24/9/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you feel the need to have a full roll cage, then at least get it manufactured to conform with MSA regs. Anything less could potentially be more life threatening in an accident than having a single roll bar.

Phil

Werner Van Loock

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
not a 7, but shows well why roll bars are needed

mini

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
How do double hoops fare in a crash? I always found 'm better looking on road-going Locosts than the big bars/full cages.
blakep82

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
think i've got the roll cage fairly well covered

Description
Description

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
think i've got the roll cage fairly well covered

That's a roll cage with bits of chassis attached!

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
As we are all enthusiastic drivers a roll bar is worth having and in my opinion the bar adds to the look of the car.
Some early Lotus sevens and the early robin hoods were offered with the roll bar as an option but just look if something is missing

That will be the heads then!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've told this story before, but...

One of my son's friends had a Caterham Superlight with a full cage. He was going quite fast on wet roads when he came across an unexpected sharp bend. He slid across the road, hit the opposite kerb with both wheels and flipped the car at some speed. He walked away with only his pride hurt.

As a follow-up, Caterham straightened up the car for a wad of money, and when they gave it back they told him that all the shocks had been wound up to max, and that they'de re-set them to sensible damping settings! That was a cock-up by the previous owner, and this lad was not techie enough to realise.

brynhamlet

posted on 25/9/07 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
All I can say is the driver of that Caterham was lucky, but it's a testiment to the strength and safety of the cage.
For road use I would not entertain anything less than what my car has got i.e. braced roll bar. Landing on my head in the unlikely event I did roll it, without a bar does not bear thinking about.

snoopy

posted on 25/9/07 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
standerd roll bar rivnutted on driver walked away unhurt

after
after

matt_claydon

posted on 25/9/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I remeber long discussions about that MK crash a few years back, and don't want to start them again, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - no one RIVNUT your roll bar on! Nothing could be further from good engineering.

I can only imagine the car above did a 'pure' roll: I'm sure with any sliding the bar would have ripped straight off.

James

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't find it on Youtube, but there's a video of a guy barrel rolling a 750mc Locost through the air. Think it was Castle Coombe a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure he walked away.

As for rivnuts..... agree wholeheartedly with Matt!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

procomp

posted on 25/9/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi locost only been to castle coombe once. And that was this year although one was on its roof. I think it was the caterham incident James is reffering to.

Also if thinking of having a cage done to comply with MSA/FIA it will be worth researching the blue book as some people who are supplying cages are obviously not aware of the changes made a few years ago. So some cages supplied over the last few years do not comply with this criteria.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.