Board logo

angle polisher
Vmax1974 - 19/1/16 at 11:31 PM

I am looking for an angle polisher if anyone is selling one I dont have masses to spend so as long as it works I doesn't need to be new

u2u with details

[Edited on 19/1/16 by Vmax1974]

r1_pete - 20/1/16 at 07:42 AM

Have a look online for people selling the Silverline ones, the price varies drastically, I think I only paid £40 or so for mine, with post. So buying used, accounting for post and a new set of mops you're not far off that number.

nick205 - 20/1/16 at 09:27 AM

Forgive my ignorance, are you after a hand held or bench mounted device?

If bench mounted then twin wheel grinders are pretty cheap from Screwfix and Toolstation. If hand held I'm afraid I don't know much about such tools.

TKPM - 20/1/16 at 06:58 PM

I bought the Silverline polishing mop a few years ago, good bit of kit for the price.

180mm Variable Speed 1200W Electric Sander/Polisher/Buffer Car Body Machine NEW

nick205 - 22/1/16 at 09:10 AM

Ah OK a hand held device.

Looks like an angle grinder to me, which last time I bought one were cheap.

No idea what mops cost though as I've used mine for grinding and sanding.

cliftyhanger - 22/1/16 at 09:25 AM

Angle grinder way way to fast for paintwork polishing.

I have an orange silverline jobbie, brilliant bit of kit for the money. Used it on 4 or 5cars after reprays, using G3 and then soft mop for Autoglym. As well as the occasional mild cut/polish of many other cars over the years.

mark chandler - 22/1/16 at 09:41 AM

Silverline here as well, good bit of kit just heavy for everyday use so perfect for what we do.

r1_pete - 22/1/16 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Ah OK a hand held device.

Looks like an angle grinder to me, which last time I bought one were cheap.

No idea what mops cost though as I've used mine for grinding and sanding.

Yes they look the same, but the polisher runs much slower, 1500 RPM is about the max, and starts slowly and accelerates up to the desired speed. They seem to have more torque than grinders, probably due to gearing.

coyoteboy - 22/1/16 at 12:55 PM

Yep, and they're speed regulated too to ensure that any load is countered.

The silverline ones work fine, also the ones from machinemart do too.

Vmax1974 - 24/1/16 at 03:27 PM

Thanks for the input lads is anyone selling one cause I need one asap now and cant justify a new one