Board logo

IVA paperwork - what to put as manufacturer?
CorseChris - 25/11/19 at 09:05 AM

I have tried searching, here & generally but can't seem to find an answer. Hope someone here can help.

I'm building a Midlana at the moment. What do I put down as manufacturer?? What do folks building a classic LoCost put (assuming they fab the chassis themselves).

TFL

JAG - 25/11/19 at 09:17 AM

I built a classic Locost but I bought the chassis. I still put my surname down as manufacturer

CorseChris - 25/11/19 at 09:39 AM

Cheers Justin. I had thought to just put my surname but wasn't sure how they'd view that. Presumably no problem for you with that then?

It makes perfect sense to me, as I've built it...so I'm the manufacturer, but I'm well aware that what I might view as sensible and what The Powers That Be deem sensible aren't likely the same

big_wasa - 25/11/19 at 01:13 PM

"I think"You can call it what you like as long as it's not rude, offensive or misleading.
I do think there should be a nod to what it is to save any problems should you decide to sell it.

I called my first one

Manufacture: Big_Wasa Sports cars.
Model: Locost

I would have done the same with the Midlana if I had got that far. A Google will show its heritage for ever.
I haven't been on there in a while, will yours bre the first "finished" example ?

CorseChris - 25/11/19 at 02:00 PM

Hi BW,

I want to avoid any possible suggestion that I'm anything other than what I am - a non-business private builder, so guess just my surname will do fine.

Unless there is someone out there building quietly, I guess mine will be the first one in the UK at least. It's coming along slowly, not really the weather for too much shed-time at the moment, but I do a bit when I can. Realistically, I think it should be done and ready for IVA by next summer. Finishing off the bodywork now, couple more panels to do on that. Some holes in the scuttle panel for the wipers, come up with some sort of mounting for a windscreen, cut a windscreen.....and that's pretty much it.

Then I can take it all apart again and prep, clean and paint. Then I get the fun part of actually building it

Thanks chaps.

gremlin1234 - 25/11/19 at 05:09 PM

ensure the name is the same on both:
the paperwork
and
the manufacturers plate (vin plate) on the car

JAG - 25/11/19 at 08:33 PM

To clarify further my Logbook shows...

1) Manufacturer; JAG

2) Model; Locost

CorseChris - 26/11/19 at 12:27 PM

Good info, thanks all.

It'll be:

Manufacturer - CAS (some of my initials)

Model - Midlana

ianhurley20 - 29/11/19 at 03:30 PM

I put my own name as the manufacturer, it also appeared on the rivited on chassis plate, when it was written off it was put on the Copart web site where a photo of the plate was shown. On reflection I would call it something like my initials as you have suggested Chris, good move. Also good to hear your Midlana is getting near to completion, as you know I discontinued my Midlana build after my lucky escape with the last one. (I have since just finished a Tiger Avon with an ST170 engine on TB's giving 225bhp and am part way through another Haynes with 1.8 Mazda, and, helping restore a Ginetta G4 with a friend so I haven't quite given up yet).