Board logo

cost for hard standing?
rayward - 11/7/09 at 07:30 AM

looking to get a hard standing for the car , size would be 2.4m x 4.8m x 150mm thick concrete

any ideas on how much this would cost to have done?

cheers
Ray

MakeEverything - 11/7/09 at 07:57 AM

You should be able to get a price from Meadymix or other pre-mixed supplier.

If it were me, id go for steel re-inforceing too.

I would budget £300.

Peteff - 11/7/09 at 08:10 AM

Why 150mm thick ? That sounds a bit OTT to stand a car on. That would take just under 1.75m³ and if you get a builder to dig out, shutter up and lay the base I don't think you would get much change out of £1000.

hillbillyracer - 11/7/09 at 09:06 AM

Put a good foundation in with builder's rubble with bits from the size of a brick down to fine at least 6" (that's 150mm for the modern euro folk) thick but the more the better & use whacker plate or small vibration roller to pack it in hard. This means the concrete has good support & doesnt need to be so thick, for a car you'd not need any more than 3" if the base is good. I've got 5" & we jack up tractors on it, no cracks so far after 7 years
I was also told when laying the floor for my workshop & hard standing to put a damp membrane under it, not so much to stop the damp but to stop the concrete leaching into the rubble & loosing some strength

main82000 - 11/7/09 at 10:32 AM

hi there
just done my garage floor last sunday at 4 inch thick floor size was 20 feet x 12 feet at a cost of 60 quid that was 3 ton of block mix and around 10 or so bags a cement so doing it your self is well worth it pickin up my mk r this monday so had to get it done

Litemoth - 11/7/09 at 03:18 PM

As usual, it depends. If it's on stable ground and If you do the preparation (dig out) and shuttering (bits of board round the outside) about £300 quid. Considerably more if it's in an awkward place to get to or they have to move a lot of soil or if it's on rubbish clay and the thickness needs to be increased and re-bar included.

I did this recently on bigger slab than yours and added a retaining wall - all DIY. The slab was about £400 in raw materials alone.

Slab Costing
Slab Costing

[Edited on 11/7/09 by Litemoth]

wicket - 11/7/09 at 04:02 PM

If you are going to put in a dpm blind the hardcore/builders rubble with sand 1st to stop the dpm being pierced