Board logo

Wiring (mains type)
ChrisW - 29/3/17 at 01:16 PM

I know we have a few electricians here so hopefully someone will give some advice.

I need to fit a meter to a fuse board. The meter needs a low current mains supply of it's own.

To save wasting a 'way' on the board (and so that the tenant can't easily switch the meter off) I was intending to install a fuse holder inside the board to feed the meter.

The fuse will be 2A (or whatever the smallest is that I can get) but will be fed from a 63A incomer.

Does the wire feeding the fuse need to be rated at the full 63A or will >2A suffice?

My thinking is that if >2A is pulled the fuse will go and protect both the wire feeding it and the downstream wire to the meter. On the other hand there could be a situation where the wire feeding the fuse could be shorted and in that case it needs to pass enough current to blow the upstream fuse.

Any advice please?

Chris

[Edited on 29/3/2017 by ChrisW]

MikeR - 29/3/17 at 04:17 PM

Not an electrician but the fuse needs to be smaller than the cable can cope with - so if using a 2amp fuse use a 5amp cable therefore the fuse will always blow before the cable fails.

daviep - 29/3/17 at 04:45 PM

Sorry not an electrician either but logic says that upstream of the fuse should be rated higher than the 63A incomer fuse in case as you say there is a short in the cable before the 2A fuse.

Cheers
Davie

coozer - 29/3/17 at 06:49 PM

I would run 10mm cooker cable from the 63 to the 2....

ChrisW - 31/3/17 at 03:17 PM

Thanks guys. I had concluded that the feed to the fuse should be >63A but was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.

Chris