Board logo

2 recent ebay purchases
02GF74 - 29/5/19 at 06:07 PM

Just thought I'd share 2 recent ebay purchase experiences so you may learn.

1. Computer motherboard. Cost about £15. When this arrived, in order to remove the hardened thermal grease from the cpu, I popped the cpu out from the sprung holder to find there was disruption to the pin array. Closer examination showed that 4 pins were bent. I started return for a refund. After much stress/annoyance, ebay ruled against me as I should not have modified the item.
Lesson here is not to touch the item. As it happened, even with the bent pins, the board still worked, a pinout would indicate these were common power or ground pins.

2.volvo tailgate stuts, £13.30, sent but ball joint socket too small. Started return but selected 'wrong size' as reason, should have selected 'not as described' to get a prepaid label. Called eBay who directed me to pay PayPal. Got full refund from PayPal so no worries about return postage. Still a bit scary that it seemed relatively easy to get a full refund and keep the item, I would not be happy if that happened other way round. I have no issue returning the item as it is no use but object paying postage for something not my fault. Lesson choose 'not as described' to get return postage paid.

[Edited on 29/5/19 by 02GF74]

ReMan - 29/5/19 at 09:31 PM

i was somewhat concerned at the latest updates to "buyer protection" which as you mention appear to make it so easy to scam a seller and have the goods and the money, an the faceless customer support that weil almost always support the buyer .

Definitely never ship anything without full tracking and signature, no matter how out of proportion the shipping cost to the value of the goods, thats my sage advice

chillis - 30/5/19 at 09:59 AM

And that's exactly what happens a lot now, especially if the item goes abroad, when item is delivered, say not as described and get full refund without having to return the item. Why I don't use paypal when I sell or do delivery.