Board logo

Ordering prop shaft - what 'ends' do I need to supply?
jps - 1/9/19 at 02:09 PM

I need to order a propshaft for my Haynes, I have heard both Dunning and Fairbank and Bailey Morris well recommended on here, so intend to use one of these.

I have a Sierra 7.5" diff and a Type 3 gearbox - which came from different cars. I do not have the end of the original propshaft which bolted onto the diff, I do have the splined input shaft from the gearbox - which originally bolted to a rubber 'donut'.

Will a prop shaft supplier typically provide the flange which bolts to the diff, and the splined shaft to go into the gearbox - or would I be expected to supply those?

And is there anything else I should know about spec-ing the propshaft (or will need to tell the supplier!)?

rusty nuts - 1/9/19 at 02:24 PM

Bailey Morris supplied all new parts when I ordered my prop .

voucht - 1/9/19 at 03:16 PM

Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by jps
I need to order a propshaft for my Haynes, I have heard both Dunning and Fairbank and Bailey Morris well recommended on here, so intend to use one of these.

I had my propshaft done by Dunning and Fairbank (from Sierra MT75 gearbox to Sierra 7'' diff.), and they did a very good job. I never heard anything bad about them as well. And they are quick to deliver too. So I definitely recommend them

quote:
I have a Sierra 7.5" diff and a Type 3 gearbox - which came from different cars. I do not have the end of the original propshaft which bolted onto the diff, I do have the splined input shaft from the gearbox - which originally bolted to a rubber 'donut'.

Provide them with all the informations you have. With their experience, I'm sure they will know what to put at what end.

quote:
Will a prop shaft supplier typically provide the flange which bolts to the diff, and the splined shaft to go into the gearbox - or would I be expected to supply those?

They definitely have the flange to fit the Sierra diff. I don't know for the splined shaft that fit the type 3 gerabox, but I doubt it will be a problem for them.

For my MT75, I had to get rid of the rubber doughnut, and their propshaft bolts on the Sierra MT75 gearbox tri arm flange via a steel adaptor they provided (with the complete bolt kit). I haven't have to send them anything.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Hope that will help

Eddie1978 - 1/9/19 at 08:00 PM

I used Driveline propa few months ago. type9 to large flange english, all brand new parts painted and balanced £110 delivered to my door 4days from ordering to been in my hands.

Really easy to deal with rang them up told them which ends total length etc... totally painless

[Edited on 1/9/19 by Eddie1978]