Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Personal Websites
Simon

posted on 28/8/02 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Personal Websites

Gents,

I gather that a few members have their own websites.

As someone who has no idea how to create, maintain or otherwise, could someone make some suggestions as to software and procedures to get a site onto the www.

Thanks v much.

ATB

Simon

JohnFol

posted on 28/8/02 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
depends on what you want your site to do, and what your host allows.
I use Microsofts' Visual Interdev, however it's a pretty powerful tool. You could use FrontPage, again MS, or even some of the freebie downloads. Check out http://download.com.com/3150-2048-0.html?tag=dir

If you really wanted, you could use notepad!

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/8/02 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
My website is made up using diffent programs

Most of it is made with MS FrontPage and the pics are made using ACDSee (File viewing program that got bigger)

If you take a look at my site, you will see that it is quite amateur but I believe it's sufficient

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 28/8/02 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
My site is entirely done in frontpage too.
May not be the best, but I find it easy to use and very easy to update.
http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 28/8/02 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
All my HTML is done in notepad, graphics in Paint Shop Pro (www.jasc.com) or Adobe Photoshop and any clever bits (ie Perl code) in Pico under Linux.

As for getting it on the web you'll need a bit of server space. Your ISP will give you some I expect or I can sort you out with some with a LocostBuilders.co.uk address for either free or very little (depending on what options you want) Email me for details.

Chris

My gaff my rules

locodude

posted on 28/8/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I'm a frontpage man myself, for no better reason that I was given it for free! It works OK for me and my site's getting quite large now.
http://www.christopher.gibbons.btinternet.co.uk

Chris PTM

ChrisW

posted on 28/8/02 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just a pity about the .btinternet address!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Simon

posted on 29/8/02 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

Thanks for your suggestions. Looks like I might be investing in Frontpage then. Look out for new website after I finished me car. About 6 years should do it!!

ChrisW

".....clever bits (ie Perl code) in Pico under Linux"

Uh!!

ATB

Simon

ChrisW

posted on 29/8/02 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
What's 'uh!' supposed to mean? Don't believe in these horrible editors like FrontPage although I must admit I played with Dreamweaver UltraDev the other day and even I had to admit it was an impressive package. Download it from www.macromedia.com - it comes with online tutorials so you should be up and running in no time.

If you (or anyone else) needs space just drop me a line and I'll set it up for you.

Chris

My gaff my rules

JohnFol

posted on 29/8/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Simon, for less than £5pa you could buy the domain name "livingstone.co.uk"
ChrisW

posted on 29/8/02 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
But then you'll need hire of DNS space, web hosting etc etc. We charge £30 for a year all in including a .uk domain name. 40Mb space, email forwarding and/or POP boxes, full CGI support and a mySQL database on request.

or..
locostbuilders.co.uk/~yourname = free
yourname.locostbuilders.co.uk = £10pa

Perfect for a Locost build diary!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Alan B

posted on 29/8/02 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

That's a hell of a deal (all 3 options)

Any problem for me, living in the US? I wouldn't have thought so.

You'll kill me now:

Do you have frontpage extensions?

ChrisW

posted on 29/8/02 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
No problem at all Alan! Only provisos on the LocostBuilders.co.uk addresses are that

1. You refer to the site by the locostbuilders address (ie you don't use URL forwarding to hide the address)
2. They're for personal use only

On 'real' domains their use is up to you but I may need to limit bandwidth if we deem you're usage is excessive for a personal site.

RE Frontpage - yes apparently this server does supprt them although I've never tested it. They're horrible things anyway!

Drop me an email and we'll discuss your requirements.

Chris

My gaff my rules

jmbillings

posted on 29/8/02 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've got piles of pics from our buildup... when I get around to making a page I might see about one of them there locostbuilder addresses...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.