Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need a new video recorder - and they've all vanished!
David Jenkins

posted on 30/12/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Need a new video recorder - and they've all vanished!

<rant>
I don't believe it... our current Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD/HDD recorder is getting a bit - erm - eccentric, so I decided that I'd look around to see if there was a suitable device to replace it (it's a Freeview HDD recorder that can also play and record DVDs). And... I can't find anything. I can't remember the last time I used it to record a DVD so that functionality can go, but otherwise I just need something that can record stuff off Freeview with the option of HD, if available - purely for short-term replay. I have another device if I need to play DVDs.

All I can find are Humax and Panasonic machines, many of the Humax ones are reconditioned rather than new, and all seem to have an appalling reputation according to the reviews. Our TV can record programmes, but that's a bit limited and I had to plug a USB drive in to get functionality.

I expect that their excuse is that people can go online for various replay services such as the BBC iPlayer, but many of the programmes we watch are on other channels that don't have such a service (or on ITV, which has an abysmal replay service).

So where the **** do I have to go to find a suitable device?
</rant>

Mash

posted on 30/12/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
We just got a new TV and HD recorder from Reliant direct in Preston.

It's a Samsung BDH8500 - Smart 3D Blu-Ray Player with 500GB Recorder, and we're pretty happy with it.

Does Freeview, records up to 2 different programs at once with ability to watch a pre-recorded one at the same time, and does all the old school playing/recording too.

Reliant Direct

Even cheaper now too

David Jenkins

posted on 30/12/16 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not a huge fan of Samsung - and the sharp drop in price suggests that that particular model is near the end of its life...

benchmark51

posted on 30/12/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
We just got a new TV and HD recorder from Reliant direct in Preston.

It's a Samsung BDH8500 - Smart 3D Blu-Ray Player with 500GB Recorder, and we're pretty happy with it.

Does Freeview, records up to 2 different programs at once with ability to watch a pre-recorded one at the same time, and does all the old school playing/recording too.

Reliant Direct

Even cheaper now too

I bought one a year ago, but with the 1TB drive. It has been faultless so far. As always my only moan is the lack of a good printed handbook. I paid £120 from http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/theelectronicswarehouseltd?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754.

davidinhull

posted on 30/12/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have a humax HDR-2000T
Actually 2, a 500gig upstairs, and 1Terabyte downstairs
Both are great (only problem is if you scan for new channels, it loses all your searches)
Just bought the 500gig version for parents for Xmas, from curries on line, so still available
Does all the freeview stuff, but I don't have sky etc so no idea about that

David

coozer

posted on 30/12/16 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a sky dish up??

I use one of these with a 500 GB HDD in it. I've got 3 tuners installed so I can record 2 channels and watch another, or, record 3 and watch a recording...

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=et8500&filter_category_id=63&filter_sub_category=true />
I've got one of these in the bairns bedroom...

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/technomate/Technomate-TM-Twin-OE-Enigma-2-Linux-HD-PVR-Twin-Tuner-Sate llite-Receiver

I pointed the dish at 19° and put another lnb to the right for 28°(sky) and another one to the left for 13° (hotbird). I now have 5500 channels a lot are freeview and on the foriegn channels all the films come with the original language.

The box works much the same way as a sky box bit is much more open.

It can be connected to a normal aerial with the right tuner and it streams as well, it has utube and kodi and can be used with m3u files.

I've just paid €28 for 14 months of unscrambled channels...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 30/12/16 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just been looking through the manual for my extreme and its an et10000 (not 8500) and has a DVD HDMI input so you can play DVDs through it as well!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

morcus

posted on 31/12/16 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
My TV can record but needs USB drives, I've never used it myself but the manual seems to say you can record something while watching something else. OP seems to have the same function so why not just by a USB storage of the size you want?

I was going to get one when I moved house a year and a half ago as I'd been living somewhere with a recorder, but very quickly got used to not having one and don't feel I'm missing out (and feel the same way about paid for channels) but it will depend on what you watch and I agree with you on ITV, they don't seem to offer the ITV hub through games consoles.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

BenB

posted on 31/12/16 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a humax- as said the retuning losing searches is annoying but the ability to copy HD files off the unit (albeit via a bit of software) is great.
David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/16 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
My TV can record but needs USB drives, I've never used it myself but the manual seems to say you can record something while watching something else. OP seems to have the same function so why not just by a USB storage of the size you want?

My TV can record programmes - I've plugged in a USB drive and use it quite often. We've got used to the current HDD/DVD machine and we also use that for recording stuff! Trouble is the TV recording system is OK-ish but not wonderful, and my not-technically-minded wife always gets in a muddle when trying to use it. The HDD/DVD box is very easy to use, and generally fits our requirements.

The main issue with it is that it needs a firmware upgrade - it loses the channels every so often - but it won't take the upgrade file. It goes through the motions, but ends up on the original firmware version. Sony's technical support is a joke (the last firmware version was from 2010) so not much hope there.

I'll probably end up muddling along with what I've got until the box dies completely...

coozer

posted on 31/12/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
None of the world of satellite PVR boxes take your fancy?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it's changed, but last time I used FreeSat it couldn't show the local news and other regional stuff, which the sort of thing that would annoy the missus. Maybe they've fixed that now?

I have a dish, but although my TV can receive satellite it doesn't sort the channels like a good FreeSat box would.

coozer

posted on 31/12/16 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
On my box the extrend et10000 and the same with the tm twin, you can set the sky channels and freeview to your region then build a favourites anyway you like...

Once you have scanned the satellite it gives you a list of every channel from every region including Ireland that you don't see on sky or freeway. You then just add the ones you want to you favs.

The box is open source so gives you everything and you choose what you want.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.