Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another fine manufacturing decision from the Far East...
David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/17 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Another fine manufacturing decision from the Far East...

We have a log burner and have always fancied roasting some chestnuts on it. I'd been looking around for the thing to cook them in - they look like small steel frying pans with lots of holes in the pan, and a very long handle.

While in Felixstowe the other day we saw just the thing, and the grocers down the road had some nice-looking chestnuts - perfect. The pan looked like blackened steel, and came with a little label tied on that told you how to use it to roast nuts. Basically, chestnuts go in the pan, pan goes on top of the hot embers, keep the pan out of the flames or you'll burn the nuts.

Tried it last night and, after a minute or two, there were flames everywhere - it turns out that it was powder-coated! I've just spent an hour in the garage heating the pan up with a blowtorch and wire-brushing the stuff off the whole thing.

It was probably made in China, India or similar... but surely the manufacturers must have known? Or didn't they even care? Anyway, I will be speaking to that hardware shop the next time I'm in the area...

[Edited on 16/1/17 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 16/1/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Shame - as you say the manufacturer should have known what they were doing! Odds are they never tested the product in any way before selling it though.

My parents have one as you describe it. I think my Dad inherited it from an uncle of his some years back. It is blackened steel and works fine for the purpose. As kids we used to go and gather wild chestnuts for them to cook. I doubt they've used it for some time though since we all moved out.

Another technique I've used a few times is a roasting tin on a hob. Once it's hot put the chestnuts in and wait for them to pop open when cooked. Works well and minimal cleaning afterwards too.

posted on 16/1/17 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
The powder coat is just to protect it from all that nasty corrosive salt water when in transit.

Not required when the more expensive British version is purchased.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for that sympathetic comment, Paul!

It's lucky that I was using it inside the wood burner with the door partly open - it would have been very messy and probably quite dangerous if I'd been trying it on an open fire. The house stank of burnt plastic though... probably toxic... though the majority of the fumes went up the chimney, just leaving the smell behind...

posted on 16/1/17 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you want your nuts roasted David pop over to my welding bay around July.

I can do sparks around Nov 5th as well.

myke pocock

posted on 16/1/17 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I get my nuts roasted by Mrs P every time I go in the garage for 5 minutes and come back in the house an hour later!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.