Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seeking advice on a minor plumbing issue
David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/17 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Seeking advice on a minor plumbing issue

I've just had one of those days... it must be something to do with the 13th...

Apart from just having to postpone our holiday to Australia (we were flying on Wednesday), the washing machine decided to dump water over the floor, just to add to the misery!

The waste drain pipe was the problem - assorted crud had built up in the pipe over the years. Unfortunately the pillock who fitted the kitchen units hadn't thought about how to clean the pipe out when it got blocked. On the kitchen side there wasn't enough room to get a rod in, and on the outside he'd glued a 90-degree bend so there was no way to get a rod in there. The total length was about 10ft, so only a set of rods was likely to shift the muck. I hacked the outside bend off and have replaced it with a 90-degree compression fitting, but I'd still have to take that off if I have the same problem again.

So, the question is, can you get a 90-degree compression fitting that has a 'maintenance access' facility? something I can easily unscrew so that I can use rods on the pipe?

BenB

posted on 13/3/17 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Swept tee with an access boss into the unswept bit (if that makes sense?)

[Edited on 13/3/17 by BenB]

jacko

posted on 13/3/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FLOPLAST-40mm-1-1-2-White-Plastic-Bottle-Trap-38mm-Seal-/292027548348?hash=item43fe32c2bc%3Ag%3AGGoAAOSwtfhYodCz

not a plumber but could you use something like this

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 13/3/17 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a miniature set of rods for cabling work, one set reaches 10ft, but each one is only about 1ft so may work for you.
you might need to make an 'end' for them but the hook might work well enough.
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01871/cable-rod-set-toolbox/dp/TL14628?CMP=CPC-PLA

else, its quite common just to use a reasonably stiff hose, or even a jet wash accessory like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331282198807

David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/17 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ben - you might be right - that's the sort of thing I was considering. Not sure about the other suggestions! I've sorted today's problem, but I want to replace the outside fitting to make life easier next time it happens (as it will, eventually). I was just wondering whether there was a 'proper solution'.

Of course, the real problem is that the kitchen fitter (a.k.a. 'Pillock' ) fitted the waste pipe at too shallow an angle, so the outgoing water travels too slowly to carry the soap, fluff and random muck out. It would be a major upheaval to fix that problem.

[Edited on 13/3/17 by David Jenkins]

benchmark51

posted on 13/3/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
When I have had blockages in the waste pipes, I've used my wet'n'dry vacuum cleaner to great success. Sucked the crap right out every time.
chris

posted on 13/3/17 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a swept bend with a rodding eye
And yes I am a plumber

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/3/17 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53232?mkwid=sqbQsq3EO_dc&pcrid=142003768299&pkw=&pmt=&product=53232&gclid=CODlha_H1dICFekp0wode0Q FuA

it does say solvent weld, but they fit into a female swept T so should be happy enough in a compression fitting.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65734

Downside is compression fittings are clunky.

But now you have a compression elbow, you could just disconnect it on the outside? no messier than accessing via an eye.

(No chance of getting a solvent fitting in there? so much tidier. )

Not a plumber, but have a few rental places mainly refurbed+maintained myself, plus do a bit of work forfamily who still have Rigsby style bedsits so know to put access eyes at every opportunity! And alo well acquainted with drain springs in several sizes......(rods too, but less often)

nick205

posted on 14/3/17 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
How much is a new waste pipe? Not much!

Buy and fit a new pipe - problem solved.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
How much is a new waste pipe? Not much!

Buy and fit a new pipe - problem solved.

Not really - the pipe is shared between the washing machine and the sink, so I'd have to remove a fitted cabinet (and disconnect all the other plumbing first), muck up all the tiling etc, replace the pipe, then try and get it all back and looking as good as it did previously. Not going to happen.

"Swept bend with a rodding eye" - thanks Chris, that's the info I was looking for. I knew the shape of the thing I wanted, but didn't know the name. I didn't want to look a complete numpty when I go into a plumbing suppliers!

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/17 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
pour bleach in the washing machine , run it empty and then that goes down your waist pipe, kills all the bugs in the machine at the same time
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.