Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring (mains type)
ChrisW

posted on 29/3/17 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring (mains type)

I know we have a few electricians here so hopefully someone will give some advice.

I need to fit a meter to a fuse board. The meter needs a low current mains supply of it's own.

To save wasting a 'way' on the board (and so that the tenant can't easily switch the meter off) I was intending to install a fuse holder inside the board to feed the meter.

The fuse will be 2A (or whatever the smallest is that I can get) but will be fed from a 63A incomer.

Does the wire feeding the fuse need to be rated at the full 63A or will >2A suffice?

My thinking is that if >2A is pulled the fuse will go and protect both the wire feeding it and the downstream wire to the meter. On the other hand there could be a situation where the wire feeding the fuse could be shorted and in that case it needs to pass enough current to blow the upstream fuse.

Any advice please?

Chris

[Edited on 29/3/2017 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/3/17 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not an electrician but the fuse needs to be smaller than the cable can cope with - so if using a 2amp fuse use a 5amp cable therefore the fuse will always blow before the cable fails.
daviep

posted on 29/3/17 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry not an electrician either but logic says that upstream of the fuse should be rated higher than the 63A incomer fuse in case as you say there is a short in the cable before the 2A fuse.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coozer

posted on 29/3/17 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would run 10mm cooker cable from the 63 to the 2....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ChrisW

posted on 31/3/17 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I had concluded that the feed to the fuse should be >63A but was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.