Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fly tipping
james h

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Fly tipping

This is absolutely infuriating.

On the 'most watched' section of the BBC website, 600 tons have been tipped close to where I live:

SHORT VIDEO HERE

And a photo I took just a few weeks ago:

Under the bridge
Under the bridge

You need to cross under this bridge and through this lot to access a really nice regional park (hard to come by near West London), and I loved walking between these columns, looking at the quite often amazing graffiti - its essentially hundreds of metres of blank canvas for the next Banksy!

Now, it's just not possible. When I took the photo, there was a group of 'people' living here. Have a guess. Caravans (numberplates curiously missing), feral dags, half naked children running around, and surprise surprise, several scruffy men lounging around by tipper trucks.

I don't know if they've moved on (some good editing by the BBC to avoid including where their site would be), but I just get so frustrated by all of this. It's not as if this was unknown by the local authorities, but what can they realistically do?

Having lived in Appleby (the place of the yearly traveller's fair), having items robbed from family members, and other first hand instances of some very dodgy behaviour, I had still wanted to give travellers a chance. I don't want to paint them with the same brush, but they keep giving me a 6ft roller! How do we sort this issue out? They'll (I imagine) just do this somewhere else, again and again.

Grrr. Mediocre rant over.

[Edited on 10/5/17 by james h]

nick205

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Don't feel you're ranting - just voicing an opinion that I happen to share!

It infuriates me too, the effort people must make to dump this stuff

SJ

posted on 10/5/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
That's awful.

Fly tipping never used to be a major problem when council dumps too everything from everyone. I think maybe the cost savings made by limiting access has caused a much bigger cost somewhere else.

BenB

posted on 10/5/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is the council will just suck it up, pay out the cash and put up council tax. Fly-tipping happens because no-one does anything about it. The fines are ridiculous- £150-400? How much are they getting paid for each load they take? Chance of getting caught about 1/1000? It's a business case! How much money is spent on each case to fine 150-400? Probably about 2k!

What seems amazing is that none of this can be traced back to the people whose rubbish it is........ Legally they can be fined (as can the person who has done the fly-tipping).

600 tonnes of rubbish and no identifying features?

Threat of a couple of grand fine to the owner of the rubbish and I'm sure they'd remember who they paid to dispose of it. Find out whose done it give them a skip and a shovel and overnight stays in HMP until it's cleared.

Trouble is no-one's afraid of the consequences of getting caught.....

russbost

posted on 10/5/17 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately where they used to be the "rag & bone" men & quite frequently actually used to offer a useful service, now the councils want to charge £25 or £30 to remove sofas, household appliances etc., so when the bloke knocks on the door & says "Oi'll shift that fer a tenner missus", many people are all too ready to take that option without realising that their sofa or whatever is not going to the dump but just going to be fly tipped somewhere.

They are very difficult to prosecute as vehicles are frequently not registered to them & they are, of course, of no fixed abode, they never pay any taxes or make any other contribution to society & their kids are rarely schooled so will just be educated in their parents ways to continue the grief for another generation.

A sensible suggestion would be to give Councils far greater powers to move them on, (yes, I do realise that simply moves the problem, but if ALL Councils did this then they would have no choice but to get a life like the rest of us) Basildon Council reportedly spent a little shy of £10 Mill & I can't remember how many years (10 -12?) to move a group of illegally sited travellers & their vehicles, they have recently moved back in just a mile or 2 up the road!!! & started clearing another site where they have apparently purchased the land (which of course is designated agricultural), the Council have said they have no powers to move them without court orders etc

If their vehicles were seized then perhaps they wouldn't be quite so ready to flout authority, however it would probably mean they'd just go a& nick someone else's

If anyone thinks I'm looking at them from the black side, I used to have these people come in regularly when I ran a garage business - after a couple of incidents we were always busy for at least the next 3 weeks when they turned up (even if the workshops & diary were empty!)

If people have any romantic notions about the vast bulk of them, then let me tell you, you are misguided, they are, quite frankly a bunch of thugs & crooks & if anyone thinks that constitutes racism then I can only feel sorry for them

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/17 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
My brother lives out in the wilds near Nairn, in Scotland... a few of his farming neighbours had suffered overnight thefts, so the police came to his place to warn him and to suggest some extra security. Big Bro is not one to mince his words, so he asked the PC whether the crime rate would go down once the travellers had moved on from their site a few miles away.

The PC's response was "You may think that from the evidence placed before you, but I couldn't possibly comment"... a straight quote from Francis Urquhart in the The House of Cards. This was the character's usual response when he didn't want to tell a minister the honest truth. Of course, the PC wasn't allowed to voice his real opinion.

[Edited on 10/5/17 by David Jenkins]

Shooter63

posted on 10/5/17 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm going to have a Rant!!

I can't stand the pikey gits all they do is suck society dry, they are the worst form of life, ##cking parasites, they are no more than a sodding virus, the best thing that they can do is ##ck off back to Ireland and take their ##$tard kids with them.

Shooter

russbost

posted on 10/5/17 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Well I'm going to have a Rant!!

I can't stand the pikey gits all they do is suck society dry, they are the worst form of life, ##cking parasites, they are no more than a sodding virus, the best thing that they can do is ##ck off back to Ireland and take their ##$tard kids with them.

Shooter

& there was me, trying to be subtle about it!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chillis

posted on 10/5/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fly Tipping - by JR Hartley..... but seriously this was always going to be the result of charging people to take away their furniture, white goods etc. Charging people for landfil one the the country's biggest scams

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

spaximus

posted on 10/5/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
What you have to remember is that this is the result of two things. People who do it themselves and others who are prepared to pay anyone without checking they have a licence to take waste.

This is why Pikeys are able to do it, they charge less than the going rate and tip it anywhere. We as a society accept they are untouchable in the eyes of the law and so do the council.

It is the same with the goods they steal, if no one bought them they would have no outlet, but we by of ebay etc. without a second thought.

They should instantly crush any persons car or truck caught doing this and make them work for free as part of the punishment cleaning things up

FuryRebuild

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I never give white-goods to the scrap metal collectors - there's another problem - to retrieve the copper, some of the less scrupulous people just burn the insulation off. Whereas the proper recyclers remove it properly. Where I am we have a good tip system - you drive up and put your stuff in the designated skip, and the compressors and rollers keep squashing it. There are lots of categories for your waste, and the chaps frequently help people unload, and make sure the right stuff goes in the right receptacle. There are charges for some stuff (commercial tipping, or building rubble) but this is just a reflection of what it costs the council to dispose of.

We are a consumerist society and we need to accept the cost of the waste we produce.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.