Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What bit for roofing bolt??
PSpirine

posted on 9/7/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
What bit for roofing bolt??

Hi guys, can do with some help!

I'm removing an old garage roof tomorrow (asbestos corrugated type) before I get rid of the garage as part of a house refurb.

The roof and garage is mostly held together with large round "roofing" screws which are approx 18mm-20mm head diameter, M6 thread. but they are cross slotted (i.e. X slot but completely flat, no point in the middle as per philips or pozi).

This sort of thing:

http://wickes.scene7.com/is/image/travisperkins/largeNormal/Roofing-Bolts-Wickes-Mushroom-Head-Roofing-Bolt-M6x30mm-Pack-18~C7322_510826_00?defaultIma ge=travisperkins/missing-product

I'm using a cordless driver to remove them. Is there a large "flat X" driver bit for these, as using a PH4 bit doesn't give enough bite due to the taper on the bit, and using a slotted flat bit results in a lot of skipping out of the slot?

Thanks!

[Edited on 9/7/17 by PSpirine]

jacko

posted on 9/7/17 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
You will be better undoing the nut and holding the head with a large screwdriver
or drill the heads off with a 6mm bit
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 9/7/17 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Large flat bit - I have actually used an inch-wide scraper (engine block not decorating type) ground flat for this when renewing the wood on my trailer. It is easier though to cut off the nut end with an angle grinder or if they are through reasonably strong metal supports, the quickest and easiest way is with a hammer and cold-chisel.
PSpirine

posted on 9/7/17 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

It's not a nut on the other end, it's a folded metal bracket that's been threaded. Cutting it seems to be even more effort!

Will keep persevering with my flathead driver but will keep an angle grinder nearby

Thanks

gremlin1234

posted on 9/7/17 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Thanks guys

It's not a nut on the other end, it's a folded metal bracket that's been threaded. Cutting it seems to be even more effort!

Will keep persevering with my flathead driver but will keep an angle grinder nearby

Thanks
coins are good tools for this, though you may want to file a flat edge on them.
from a health point of view, careful with the angle grinder, unless the material is truly soaked through its the worst thing you can do to asbestos cement roofing

edit sp
edit 2, though you might just use the grinder on the bracket, still be careful though ;-)

[Edited on 9/7/17 by gremlin1234]

jacko

posted on 9/7/17 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Drill the bolt head off thats the quickest and easiest way 6mm drill bit
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mash

posted on 9/7/17 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Thanks guys

Thanks
coins are good tools for this, though you may want to file a flat edge on them.
from a health point of view, careful with the angle grinder, unless the material is truly soaked through its the worst thing you can do to asbestos cement roofing

edit sp
edit 2, though you might just use the grinder on the bracket, still be careful though ;-)

[Edited on 9/7/17 by gremlin1234]

x 2. Be VERY careful, and definitely wear a mask.

myke pocock

posted on 9/7/17 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
When I did mine I simply used an angry grinder with cutting disc to remove them. You arent going to reuse so why faff on. By the way, if you intend to dispose of the asbestos sheeting at your local tip you know about the need to double wrap in thick plastic sheet and tape them up securely? At least that is what I had to do.
PSpirine

posted on 9/7/17 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yes aware of asbestos double bagging for the local tip - the roof panels are being removed very carefully, and with a dust mask, although they don't seem particularly "dusty/crumbly".

I'm not reusing the bolts (the asbestos roof is being discarded) but the rest of the garage is being collected tomorrow evening (for a princely sum of £3.20 on ebay, just saves me having to dispose of it and the buyer is dismantling it).

I just want to get the roof off as I don't want any H&S "liabilities" with him having at it or taking the panels away.

Will avoid angry grinding anything unless I properly bugger up a bolt head manually in which case I'll saw/grind through it.

Quite surprised nobody makes a bit/driver head to suit those bolts... or rather who thought it was a good idea to make bolts like that!

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
There are tools like that. Have you tried the Dutz fastener tool.....
rgrs

posted on 10/7/17 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have always used a pair of bolt croppers to cut the bolts, causes minimal disruption and it's quick.

We then always use an asbestos collection service, they turn up load all the sheets and issue the disposal paperwork, normally costs about £10 a sheet.

If you work out your costs double bagging and transporting it's not normally worth it doing it yourself.

Roger

SJ

posted on 10/7/17 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have always used a pair of bolt croppers to cut the bolts, causes minimal disruption and it's quick. We then always use an asbestos collection service, they turn up load all the sheets and issue the disposal paperwork, normally costs about £10 a sheet. If you work out your costs double bagging and transporting it's not normally worth it doing it yourself. Roger

I did this. Bolt croppers are perfect for the job.

Mine cost about £240 to get the sheets from a single garage roof taken away by an authorised contractor. Having said that they seemed very blase about handling the sheets.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.