Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how much will polycarbonate roofing bend?
smart51

posted on 11/9/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
how much will polycarbonate roofing bend?

I'm (eventually) going to build my son a play shed. The gap at the side of the garage is 5m long and 1.9m wide at the wide end. I've found that you can get polycarbonate 'conservatory' roofing in sheets big enough to do it in one piece. To make it interesting, I'm planning to have a 10.6m radius roof, so that the building is 2.1m tall at the small ends and 2.4m tall in the middle. Do you recon this material will bend to that radius without kinking?

I'd like to glue it with PU or similar and screw it to the 4 sides. With the radius to tension it, will I get away without it sagging in the middle or do I need to put 'joists' across to support it?

10mm Polycarbonate Roofing Sheets. Carport, Canopy, Lean to. ALL TINTS AVAILABLE

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by smart51]

designer

posted on 11/9/17 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think that will bend anywhere near what you want: if at all.
Plastic corrugated roofing would, lengthwise, but has no isulation value.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 11/9/17 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
wickes sell it in.... I suggest a trip in with a tape measure, seem to recall plently of sag on the 15mm(ish) sheets that I used on my carport roof.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

hughpinder

posted on 11/9/17 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you bend it 'along the grain' twinwall polycarb sheet will bend to a radius of 150*thickness so 1500mm in your case. If you try to bend it sideways it will probably crease. I suspect you will need some intermediate supports.
Here is a guide:
https://www.twinfix.co.uk/Content/Downloads/RelatedDownload/twinfix-bar-and-sheet-catalogue-november-2015.pdf

smart51

posted on 11/9/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
If you bend it 'along the grain' twinwall polycarb sheet will bend to a radius of 150*thickness so 1500mm in your case. If you try to bend it sideways it will probably crease. I suspect you will need some intermediate supports.
Here is a guide:
https://www.twinfix.co.uk/Content/Downloads/RelatedDownload/twinfix-bar-and-sheet-catalogue-november-2015.pdf

Thanks Hugh. 1500mm minimum bending radius for 10mm thick sheet is way more than I need, so it will do the job easily. More easily than maneuvering a 5m x 2m sheet I suspect. My guess is that if I push it from both ends (with wooden strips along the end walls) then it won't sag in the middle. If I try to pull it over the curved sides, it will bend flat along the middle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.