Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Writing a eulogy for a funeral
nick205

posted on 19/12/17 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Writing a eulogy for a funeral

Afternoon all,

It looks very likely that my Dad's business partner (40 years), neighbour and my godfather will pass away in the not too distant future. Sad times ahead for those around him!

Having known him all my life I've been asked to speak at his funeral. Whilst I'm more than happy to do this it's not something I've had to do before.

I've looked briefly online and there appear to be a few guides to preparing and performing a eulogy. I'm still somewhat unsure of undertaking this correctly and wonder if any LCBers can make any recommendations before it takes place?

Any guidance will be much appreciated on my part - I want to do this properly!

Thanks,
Nick

jossey

posted on 19/12/17 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that.

Just Don't try be too funny. But add fun moments of your memories.

That's all I have sorry

[Edited on 19/12/17 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 19/12/17 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
The only experience i've had of this is listening to the vicar talk about my mum. If you are struggling it may be worth finding your local vicar and explaining the problem and asking for help.

Her vicar talked about how loved she was in the family then did a history of her life with achievements. Interspersed in this was fun or key memories for people who were there. eg my mum was vice president of the arts festival which ran from blah to blah and is fondly remembered for blah blah but it didn't surprise the vicar having known my mum to find out few people can forget when blah blah.

One thing i would say is make sure you get a list of people to thank or mention. Our vicar had a lot to fit in and it was disappointing for him to miss off mentioning the last school she taught at when so many of the staff had turned up.

nick205

posted on 19/12/17 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you gents - some good points there!

I know there'll be lots of friends and family present and have known him a long time so picking out some relevant moments should be OK.

jps

posted on 19/12/17 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Based on the funerals i've attended, when someone other than the vicar (or equivalent) speaks it's along the lines of "let me tell you about the bloke I knew". So I don't think you can really go wrong if you do that - obviously focus on everything good about that person - and share some personal experiences that illustrate what kind of person you're saying they are/what it was about them you loved/respected/admired.

I would expect to say something to frame all that in terms of their most immediate family if they are there - i.e. if his widow or children were there I would be saying something like "at this difficult time I hope it helps a little to hear about all the happy memories I had, what a great bloke, how lucky we are to have spent time with him..." etc

If there is a vicar (or equivalent) they might be covering the overview of their life and some selected happy memories so I would speak to them to avoid repeating stories or anything.

I would say absolutely avoid anything negative. But I've been to more than one funeral that was for someone who went too soon, because of their own mistakes, and it's clearly hard for the people who have to speak to know how to pitch that... They've tended to front it up and make the point that "no-ones perfect, but let's think about what was good". I would say these are the occassions that everyone (including the person speaking) has been in tears...

RE: "doing it properly", i'm assuming you've been asked to do it by someone who knows you well? I imagine they've picked you because they think that 'what you do' is what they want to hear - so i'm sure you'll be doing what they want however you choose to approach it.

[Edited on 19/12/17 by jps]

nick205

posted on 19/12/17 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you again.

It's his wife and the eldest of their 3 kids who've asked - longtime family friends. I will certainly be consulting them beforehand on who else is speaking and what may be said. I'm sure there'll be upset people and I don't want to repeat things.

Strangely a memory that sticks in my mind is mixing mortar for him for a whole weekend when he chose to build an extension himself. Perhaps not overly amusing in itself, but the extensions still there 30 years on!

SJ

posted on 19/12/17 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
My only advice would be ask as many people as you can who knew him to share their memories with you and incorporate them as you see fit. That way you should get loads of stories.
russbost

posted on 19/12/17 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Everything said so far is pretty much spot on. One piece of advice, make sure you have everything written down & rehearse how & what you are going to say, I'm not suggesting read it word for word, but having a few key points you want to make jotted down will help to make it flow more easily rather than standing there thinking "I know there was something else I wanted to say, but what the hell was it???"

If you think there is any possibility you might choke up (probably depends how close you were to him, but even at a distance these events can be very moving & upsetting) then make sure the vicar/whoever is administrating has a copy of what you were intending to say so they can pick it up to carry on if you can't.

Try & avoid looking at any one person individually, I found it best to focus towards the back of the room over people's heads, the last thing you want to do is to catch someone's eye who is already upset, can be bad news for you both

Best of luck & hope it goes as well as these things can

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cliftyhanger

posted on 19/12/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Having done this twice, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. After teaching secondary school for 20 odd years and doing assemblies etc, standing in front of 100 odd people to talk about a friend of mine was difficult. I felt my words really mattered.
As it turns out, they do, but people are generous and forgiving. I was the first to speak, and started with a mild gag line along the lines of "it looks like I am the warm up act" which was true, and fitted with the type of person my friend really was. I then went on to recollect some of the things we had done together, including stories involving his ex-wife and kids (who were there) and stuff about how he had me up a ladder on Christmas eve fitting a woodburner, while he was lying on a sofa clutching a hot water bottle to help with his pain. It was very comical at the time. As was his ability to scoff chocolateto build him up as he approached the end.
People appreciated all that stuff, the honesty as it reflected him so well. A humorous slant is perfectly acceptable if it was who the person is. (this chap had Blue Oyster Cult, Don't fear the Reaper) when his coffin was bought into the church. Absolutely awesome.

Sorry, I am digressing. Do what you can, people will like what you say. Be honest, not afraid. And be proud that you are that important to the family, it really is an honour and I am certain an experience that will live with you forever. It certainly does me.

Mike Wood

posted on 19/12/17 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
NIck

Good luck and very best wishes.

As others have said, you must have been asked as a trusted friend who knew the person and their family well over many years, and would like you to be you in how and what you say.

Don't forget to say your name and how you new the person. And use handwritten notes that you have written and can follow.

Sounds like you already have some good stories that illustrate the good qualities of the person that would resonate with others who knew them.

Keep it relatively short, clear and positive.

Be prepared for kind words at the end of the ceremony and at any do afterwards. You may be surprised how grateful many people will be for someone to have warmly and genuinely spoken fondly about someone they as well you knew well, cared about and who positively influenced the lives of others. Such public speaking can help sum up and express the views and feelings of those present and help them remember the person.

Best wishes
Mike

[Edited on 19/12/17 by Mike Wood]

Wheels244

posted on 19/12/17 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick

Sorry for your future loss.

I was given the honour of doing a eulogy for one of my best mates in July.
His son and daughter asked me - what a privelage.

I asked them if I could be a little unconventional - they were very happy with this.
My mate was a right joker, it was only fitting he was given that sort of send off.
It got off to a good start when I put a bottle of Bud on his coffin, before going up to speak.

I regaled stories of his escapades and the way he was - interspersed with a few serious bits.
I managed to get the whole church laughing, including the vicar.
It went down very well and his family loved it, they said it’s exactly what he would have wanted.

Horses for courses and all that, humour may not be appropriate for your circumstances
but it certainly was for my mate.

I’ve got a copy of the eulogy if you would like a copy ? Obviously personal to my mate, but might
help with format.

Bloody miss him.

Cheers

Rob

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

nick205

posted on 20/12/17 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for the input given - it all seems to suggest the same approach - be prepared!

Wheels244 - a very kind offer of you - I've dropped you a U2U with my email address - a copy to study for format would be a great help.

Schrodinger

posted on 20/12/17 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
This may not be possible but as he's still alive ask him if there is anything he wants said?

Keith
Aviemore

overdriver

posted on 20/12/17 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

Having been in the unenviable position of having to compile and deliver eulogies at the funerals of my mother (in 2015) and my brother (three months ago), I have, regrettably, some recent relevant experience.

In the first instance, I would advise preparing and printing the eulogy and then rehearse, rehearse and rehearse. Aim for circa 900 - 1,000 words which is about 6 - 7 minutes at a measured pace of speech. If you've rehearsed enough, the printout becomes little more than a prompt sheet.

Supply the vicar or celebrant with a copy in advance so they can a) prepare their own delivery without repetition (or even contradiction!) of your speech b) be able to jump in if you 'dry'. Taking this latter point to a literal sense, an open bottle of drinking water secreted on the lectern beforehand is a good idea.

Whilst the content of the eulogies I have done are, of course, specific to my mother and brother whom you didn't know, I would be quite happy to share them with you if you feel they may be of value in helping you to undertake this responsible task so pm me if you'd like copies.

Michael.

Irony

posted on 21/12/17 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I did my mother's and it went down well. Make sure you liase with the vicar as Micheal above said. In mine the vicar said some stuff I was goingoing to say and I has to improvise. I just Googled some examples, read them and once I got going the words just flowed out easily.
nick205

posted on 21/12/17 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again chaps - trust me I'll be practicing it before delivering it. Fortunately my parents know him well and will be at the event so provide a practice audience for me.

[Edited on 21/12/17 by nick205]

pewe

posted on 21/12/17 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said preparation is key - depending on how long you will be speaking for you should be practising for at least that time x 3. Practising in front of a mirror helps.
Notes should be used as reminders rather than to be read.
Take a deep breath before you start, take your time and remember you're not trying to give a complete history of his life so if there are points you omit it's not the end of the world.
Use a W pattern when looking at the congregation to include everyone.
Finally it will probably be one of the hardest things you'll do, given the emotions involved.
HTH, Pewe10

David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/17 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
In the past I've had to do presentations to a crowd of people - I found that it was much better to get a decent-sized piece of card and write down a number of key points in the correct order. I've prepared this by writing down the words I wanted to say (you could give this to the vicar), reading through and editing them many times until happy, then pick out the main points and put them on the card. If you're half-decent at talking you'll remember the details that go with the main headings, and you'll sound a lot more natural to your audience. Reading from a fully-detailed script will just sound awkward.

On occasions I did a 20-minute talk from an A5 card with 10 headings on it, as I knew the subject well. The headings just made sure I didn't forget anything important. As you know the person so well this may be all you require to keep the speech on track.

Toys2

posted on 22/12/17 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hear of your impending loss
I can only mirror the comments earlier, for me the most touching parts are how that person made you feel, how they impacted other people and how their legacy will live on

I've had various training at work on presentations, I'm not a natural public speaker and can get very nervous. Everyone is different, here's what worked for me

Write out the speech long hand - best on a PC so it can be edited
Then above each paragraph, have a bullet point title in large easily readable script
I'd run though the script out loud a few times to check timing
Then I'd practice and practice the first line, I found that once I was a minute in, I'd relax and not normally need notes, though the bullet points were there if needed and the full script was to hand if it all went wrong

and remember, never have your hands in pockets and don't fiddle!

People's attention span is highest at the very start and end of any speech, it would be nice to have you most memorable points at these times

If it's from the heart, whatever happens it will be fine and remember, everyone is there for the same reason, everyone is with you

nick205

posted on 2/1/18 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for the additional comments - all appreciated!

Spent a little time with him and his family over Christmas. A little uncomfortable at first since we all know what's happening. Have to say though that he wasn't letting it dampen the spirit and soon had everyone on pretty good form

Spoke some with his wife and kids about the impending funeral and tasks. His immediate family are very supportive and have given me some info on points they want made. Others making speeches will be his older brother and his 2nd son - both people I know well. This gives us all some time to plan ahead and ensure we don't conflict or indeed miss anything.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.