Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dinghy – options, what do you think
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/10/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Dinghy – options, what do you think

I’m sure some of you are or have been into these…

Quite a while back I bought an GRP Enterprise dinghy, it looked quite good and the family I bought it off were currently using it. So I started doing it up and to cut a long story short the hull had serious trailer damage to the underside that was hidden beneath the paint such that I ended up scrapping the hull total bummer

So I’m left with a nice set of sails in their bag (look almost new), rigging, nice alloy mast & boom… I was going to sell them but when I laid it all out at the weekend for the photos I thought why not get another hull and go sailing in the spring? (local sailing club in Stonehaven)

I’m not very clued up on these things I but I take it I would be better going for another GRP enterprise hull? I was considering a wood hull as it will be kept in the garage rather than outside, they seem cheaper and more roomy inside. Does what I have fit other types of dingy or just the Enterprise?

Any advice? Thanks in advance

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/10/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
If my memory serves me correctly (its been a few years since i was teaching people dinghy sailing), the Enterprise was similarly sized to a Wayfarer at about 14ft long.

Generally speaking, what you've got is probably designed to fit the Enterprise, but if you're not afraid for bit of "tinkering" (aren't we all on here?!?) anything can be made to fit.

In terms of wooden vs. GRP hulls, seems like you just had a bad experience. Usually it's the balsa wood underneath the outer GRP that goes damp, gets soft, and has to be removed and repaired. But the water has to get in somewhere, and some repairs are usually only surface deep, and fail rot properly address the whole issue. Hence why epoxy resins and putty patches can usually be found in crevices for repairs. Generally GRP has a better longevity, although can suffer from osmosis. In comparison, wooden hulls will also rot away from the inside out if they're damaged! Repair work to both can be done, but IMO, boatbuilders nowadays use GRP for a good reason....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ianhurley20

posted on 4/10/18 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of boats can use the Enerprise rig. I built a Selway Fisher 14' 2 berth yacht 'Deuxchevaux' with an enterprise rig. The Seahawk 17' yacht uses what is basically an Enterprise rig. It's not rocket science, if you can find a hull of up to 17' in length but more than 14' then your rig will fit it with a bit of adjustment of length of the stays.
Have a look at https://ianhurley20.wordpress.com/about/the-ongoing-diary-of-building-deux-chevaux/

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/10/18 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's and link. Yeah the damage to the last hull consisted of two large rectangular holes that had been punched right though and the hull was double skinned in that area so no real access to do repair (ok someone could but I was not confident to do it)

Ok so my rig will fit many boats, that's is good to know I realise now I may have been having a bit of tunnel vision regarding the type of boat, I never considered using what I have on something other than a dinghy and I do like that little cabin boat in the link I see that the parts I already have make up a very large part of the cost of a sailboat so should be onto a winner. I'll keep an open mind when looking at a replacement hull. Thanks glad I asked...

[Edited on 4/10/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/18 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
this just ticks all the boxes, fab

I can see me going sailing from Nairn to the West coast through the loch's in something like this

ianhurley20

posted on 5/10/18 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you like it. It was a very stable boat with lots of room inside that cabin. Useful when it rains (not in the uk of course ).
This was taken on Barton Broad on the Norfolk Broads. It was a very stable boat indeed and would be ideal in the lochs. I had to say good bye to it as I became allergic to epoxy resin which it was made with - see - https://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/how-to-do-it/epoxy-a-warning/ so if you do make one be careful.The sails are Enterprise sails made for me by Jeckells in a non standard colur if you wondered why they aren't blue.
The boat is a Selway Fisher Lynx 14 although there is a Lynx 16 which your saails would work on as well. Have a look at Paul Fishers site as he sells plans for lots of designs.

ken555

posted on 5/10/18 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Build your own boat for £250, I can see a book coming on.

JeffHs

posted on 5/10/18 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Build your own for £250?

Don't believe it. I built a plywood canoe from plans, used old external ply (free) but the epoxy I used in the build cost me over £200! Nice boat when finished but definitely not cheap!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/18 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I had to say good bye to it as I became allergic to epoxy resin which it was made with - see - https://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/how-to-do-it/epoxy-a-warning/ so if you do make one be careful.

Your reaction to the epoxy was quite extreme, worst I've see. Amazing it continued after the boat was built too. I use epoxy very regularly and have never had a reaction amazing how differently people react to things. Still interested in this boat though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.