Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new phone time
theconrodkid

posted on 5/2/21 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
new phone time

My trusty Nokia is showing it,s age, it runs on windoze and is on talk mobile
if i get a new "unlocked" Nokia that runs on android, is it just a matter of swapping the sim, ie , will it still work and all my contacts transfer with the sim ?.
TIA

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coyoteboy

posted on 5/2/21 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Contacts aren't stored on the SIM anymore (they can be, but it's not usually the case). Any not stored on the SIM will need a nokia contact exporting tool, or you will need to find a way to export them all to a google account or similar, which Android will then pull back. It's best to check with Nokia TBH, if no-one here is a nokia die-hard, as the process is always a bit worrying.

However you won't lose them off the old phone unless you factory reset it, anyway, so you have an archive to check - it's not a one shot deal.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/2/21 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ugh this website kills me

Double post deleted.

[Edited on 5/2/21 by coyoteboy]

gremlin1234

posted on 5/2/21 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
you may not be able to fit the old sim in the new phone, there are 3 different sizes of sims. most new phones use nano size
theconrodkid

posted on 5/2/21 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, i could always write down the numbers and re-enter them so no probs there, the new one has nano and the next size up slots so no probs there either, all i need now is will the current sim work in the new phone as it,s changed from windoze to android

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 5/2/21 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkidall i need now is will the current sim work in the new phone as it,s changed from windoze to android
yes that should work fine

SteveWalker

posted on 5/2/21 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
With care, you can cut any SIM down to whichever smaller size is required, just using scissors - even though the smallest size can require cutting through the contact pads.

Phone shops used to have proper cutters for doing it.

Failing that, the provider will happily send out a replacement SIM and then move the number over.

[Edited on 5/2/21 by SteveWalker]

mcerd1

posted on 5/2/21 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
^^ I did this the other year (my SIM was already the right size too)
I went from a nokia 735 updated to win10 (which I still think is a very good phone) to a Moto G8+ (I looked at new nokia's but they wanted too much money for the spec of the phones at the time)

the only thing I couldn't get to transfer right was the calendar and whatsapp messages (you can back them up - but windows backups are not compatible with android ones - at least without using some doggy 3rd party app)
but since I use the outlook app on the android phone anyway - i just kept using my old calendar and ignored the android/google one

If I remember right I backed up the contacts on the windows phone (can't remember if I had to do that on the phone or logged into to outlook.com - guess it depends how you setup the windows phone)
then imported these backed up to a google account that I made for the new phone (decided I wanted a nice clean one for the new phone)
then just allowed the new phone to sync and job done

Otherwise you could just turn on bluetooth on both phones (without the sim in the new one) and send the contacts over that way - if you've not got too many that will be just as quick

[Edited on 5/2/2021 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 5/2/2021 by mcerd1]

-

theconrodkid

posted on 5/2/21 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks again peeps

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

steve m

posted on 5/2/21 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
My Mother went from an OLD Nokia, to a newer version only 6months ish ago, i did not get involved, as that technology was out of date in the mid 90's

But i do know that it took a few days to move from the old to the new phone with her Phone number, and new sim cards ( i wasnt aware you could cut them!)

She also had to reenter all of her contacts manually etc, as the two phones albeit similar, were not compatable
She had many many conversations with Virgin but they were unable to help due to the age of the old handset

Only two days ago, she wished she had gone to an Iphone, as thats pretty well what most of the family are on, and at no point am i saying there the best, its just that we all use Iphones and Ipads

steve

[Edited on 5/2/21 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 5/2/21 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
My purchasing policy is to pick one of the phones that were the absolute must-have devices about 12 - 18 months ago. When they were new the price was huge, but once a couple of new models have come along the price drops massively - usually way below half-price. If you go to a model that's much older then you risk having an old version of Android that may not get security updates.

Also try to get a make that doesn't add a ton of their own cr@p software on top of Android - Samsung are particularly bad for filling up their phone's memory with unwanted and unremovable programs. Nokia are good, in that they give you the untampered-with Android with regular updates, and Motorola aren't too bad (my Motorola came with some extra rubbish, but it was easy to remove or disable).

This sounds like I'm continually updating my phone! I make my phones last for many years, until either I break it, the battery goes kapput and can't be replaced, or it simply won't do what I want any more.

[Edited on 5/2/21 by David Jenkins]

theconrodkid

posted on 5/2/21 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
my phone is around 6 years old now and on it,s 2nd battery that is showing it,s age so not 90,s tech (those were the daze) , il go get one tommorow and see how i get on, t and c say i can return for a refund so happy days

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.