Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveway security
johnH20

posted on 25/2/21 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Driveway security

I have to keep cars on my driveway as the garage is mainly a workshop. Given the prowling villans that seem to be about at night I was considering a lockable gate. This however has its own problems including access for the postman and paperboy. I therefore thought maybe a lockable post such as you find protecting private parking spaces might be an option. It would need to be low profile as my splitter is only 120 mm from the ground! Any suggestions? TIA.
02GF74

posted on 25/2/21 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
There at least 2 types of parking posts, those that fold down - you can always recess the ground it lies on to gain clearance and the type that drop vertically into the ground, obviously the latter need deeper excavation.

What do you have to stop someone with a cordless grinder cutting through the padlock? Install security lights and cameras.

Ultimately if someone really wants your cat they come round with a cherry picker lorry or knock on your door and hold a knife to your wife's throat.

But that is very extreme, you can use relatively cheap measures to make it difficult to 99.97% of potential thieves.

[Edited on 25/2/21 by 02GF74]

roadrunner

posted on 25/2/21 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
There at least 2 types of parking posts, those that fold down - you can always recess the ground it lies on to gain clearance and the type that drop vertically into the ground, obviously the latter need deeper excavation.

What do you have to stop someone with a cordless grinder cutting through the padlock? Install security lights and cameras.

Ultimately if someone really wants your cat they come round with a cherry picker lorry or knock on your door and hold a knife to your wife's throat.

But that is very extreme, you can use relatively cheap measures to make it difficult to 99.97% of potential thieves.

[Edited on 25/2/21 by 02GF74]

Ohh no, not the cat thieves

02GF74

posted on 25/2/21 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mock ye not. They stole lady gagas bulldogs after shooting the dog walker.
gremlin1234

posted on 25/2/21 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

yea, and the coverage is about some performer, and her dogs, not about the dog walker who was shot!

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/2/21 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just put a box on the gate for your mail and paper to be dropped into. The paper boy will probably still hurl your paper at the door though

Don't flaunt your wealth as someone will always want to take it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 25/2/21 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought a set of big gates with a letter box / paper box fastened to the gates so no one needs to come in the garden
Electric gates would be nice for when it’s raining
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 26/2/21 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've thought about a post for my drive, but I just know that the reduction in risk of theft will be greatly offset by the almost guaranteed risk of a dented car when I forget to lower it!

I think gates would be my preference, they're not as easy to forget about. You can get ones that are secure for a vehicle, but still allow pedestrian access. It looks like they're called 'split driveway gates' if you want to Google some examples?

russbost

posted on 26/2/21 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Gates are a total pain unless they are electric, if there isn'tt a personal gate for pedestrian access it also makes things a bit weird if anyone wants to drop in for a chat.

I would go for a drop in, or if you're really posh a pop up post, just don't forget it's there when you drive off - particularly if you ever reverse out!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 27/2/21 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

yea, and the coverage is about some performer, and her dogs, not about the dog walker who was shot!

Radio Gaga had offered half a million dollars reward and the good news, the dogs have been "found". Anyone remember Mr Jinx?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.