Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: using phones in locosts
andyps

posted on 28/11/03 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
using phones in locosts

I haven't build my car yet so don't know about this, but thinking about the impending law change coming up on Monday - does anybody use a hands free kit in their locost? If so, can you hear the other person? It would be really obvious to plod if you were using the phone hand held I guess.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

chrisg

posted on 29/11/03 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Why Aye,

No body'd understand you either way Andy!!!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/03 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Closed Loop

Andy I would definately install a closed loop system as installed in modern hospitals if you're that intent on conversing. If you can hear anyone

YOU AREN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH!!!

Oye Vay....

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/11/03 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The only thing you could have is a mic and earpiece inside a crash helmet.... Like bikers have, but i bet it's crap at speed still.

You'd have to stop if you wanted to ring someone, so you might as well not bother and use the phone normally when stopped.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

marshall

posted on 29/11/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
would you hear the phone ring at high speed ?
andyps

posted on 29/11/03 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
OK - I thought this would be the case. No point in including a hands free kit within the wiring loom then

I actually use a piece of kit in my car which utilises a cassette adapter to get the sound to the stereo speakers - good piece of kit which is easily portable to other cars - when they have a radio/cassette fitted

Andy

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Personally

I wouldn't be too happy if someone interfered with my cruisin' time by calling, so I'd likely 'forget' it!

Can't wait to try out just how LOUD the experience is!

JoelP

posted on 29/11/03 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
isnt it odd that they have been nicking people for ages for using phones? was that covered by 'due care and attention' previously? seems to make no difference really, i've been dropping the phone when i see police for the last two or three years.

the trick is to have your eyes open, drop the phone but keep scratching your ear, maybe fool them! lol

PioneerX

posted on 29/11/03 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP,

Dropping the phone, maybe mot the most ideal solution , but whatever works for you

The police use un-marked cars with video equipment to record lorry drivers on the phone in the lorries mirrors. Dont see how this can work for car, the mirrors are too small.

BTW: was once told my a bloke on our local force that they cant actually do you unless there is two in the car or they have recording equipment. If your stoped by just one all they can do is caution you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 29/11/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Brother in law's been done twice this year, once for no seatbelt as well. Second one they had a photo of him so he couldn't contest it. He still does it so he can't be as clever as he says he is.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 29/11/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
cant catch crimimals and you know the rest

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/11/03 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a 30 quid uiniversal hands free kit from currys. clips over the phoen speaker and an ext speaker plugs into the cigar lighter. In a conventional car works really well.

ebay do similar for about 10 quid.

atb

steve

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/03 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Annoying...

all this about hands-free kit's etc - it doesn't affect the worse culprits... the police, with their two way radio's!

andyps

posted on 29/11/03 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - the trouble with dropping the phone is that if they suspect you they can use the phone company records to find out that you were on the phone at the time. I think there is probably no option but to use a hands free kit and a proper holder as the law will demand. Try the one I got - you can get them from carmunicate - or something similar as Steve suggests.

Andy

JoelP

posted on 30/11/03 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
well its a moot point for me cos the new car has one fitted, plus as i dont have any friends anymore the blower never rings anyway!! too much time in here i guess
A Badger

posted on 30/11/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
All this talk about people using phones - how you smokers out there who light up whilst driving. Got to be as dangerous as using a phone.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/11/03 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A Badger
All this talk about people using phones - how you smokers out there who light up whilst driving. Got to be as dangerous as using a phone.

Yep, especially if you drop your phone... it dont set the f8cking seat alight ! (or burn a hole anyway)

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

DrEagle

posted on 30/11/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
It makes my blood boil?

IMHO it is much safer talking on the phone than talking to the person in the back of the car, or even in the passenger seat. It is human nature to look at the person you are talking to.

I am sure that there are some human rights issues here. You can use your phone parked up safely with the engine off - even if it means you freeze to death!

Then there are the times you are lost and ring someone to navigate you by phone, and the times you are stuck for hours not moving in road works…

Should we have a poll on who will get the 1st fine! My money is on me even though my company have threatened disciplinary of we are caught on the mobile in our cars! I bet it’s a different story when you don’t answer your phone when they want you!

The whole thing is totally ridiculous. There is no law against programming your Sat Nav, finding a track on your a MP3 stereo or the BMW drivers fighting their i-Drive or dare I say it applying makeup!

And for another thing! When are we going to see the speed limits increased on motorways? Think about the cars that were about in the early 70s when the limits were set? Drum breaks all round, no seatbelts, not crumple zones, no air bags, no ABS, need I go on? Point made I think.

Now Road Tax / Prices…….

Never be afraid to try something new!
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark with no budget,
where as a large group of professionals spent millions building the Titanic!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 30/11/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Dr. Eagle, I agree.

Andy

Mark H

posted on 1/12/03 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
...and the points system for when you get caught.

How longs that system been going? Now you could rack up 12 points on one decent journey without knowing it!

And if they are gonna catch us using all this modern technology then roads should have adjustable limits (as the M25 has got) to keep us all safe. Who cant do 90 safely at 11pm down the M1?

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Peteff

posted on 1/12/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Who cant do 90 safely at 11pm down the M1?

ME, my van will only do 80mph without a strong tailwind and a long downhill stretch. It's got the aerodynamics of a cathedral.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.