Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm fed up of working on the floor so I designed these
rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fed up of working on the floor so I designed these

Having had enough lying on a cold and often wet floor to do work on my cars so I decided to look into some ramps. I would ideally like a two post electric ramp but I can't afford one and don't have the space. So looking around on this forum and the interweb I found these

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

I like to design and the idea but I don't like the price. So I thought I would design my own and get them made. Here are a few pics of what I have been doing over the last couple of days using Solidworks.

ramps
ramps

ramps 2
ramps 2

ramps complete setup
ramps complete setup

ramps complete set up 2
ramps complete set up 2

Each ramp is 3500mm long, 400mm wide and 600mm high, excluding the run on ramps. It comes in three parts, front part 1400mm, rear part 2100mm and the run on ramps 1000mm. The box section and angle pieces are 50mm X 50mm and 5mm thick all of the plate is 5mm thick. It might be a bit of overkill but I don't fancy having a Legacy falling on me from that hight.

I have tried doing some testing to see how much force the ramp will take before the metal fails but I haven't really used Cosmosworks before so the results look wrong. Do you guys think 5mm thickness will cope with the weight?

I also designed some rear ramp supports (they are in the last two pics) but these probably wont be used as my axle stands reach the required height (450mm).

I have done some testing with Cosmosmotion that the centre of gravity is over the rear section. I have also done some weight testing and found that the ramp will not tip forward with 6000N at 100mm away from the stop plate and 5000N a further 2500mm back, on both sides. This was a rough estimation of the force that my tin top would put on the ramp.

I thought about how I could jack up the car when it's on the ramp in the upright position, my solution is to lay some 5mm plate on the ramp and use a car jack to raise it up on the jacking points. Do you think this is a good idea? Any other options?

I want to get these made at some point in the future but I don't have a job at he mo so I cant afford to get them done. What are your opinions on the design and can you see any improvements that need to be made, all comments welcome.

Regards

Rhod

Edit: I put the pics in, a link from my archive but there not showing up. Anyone know how to do this?

[Edited on 27/1/09 by rodders]

omega0684

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
piccies not showing for me they do look like a good idea but i have a pit in my garage so im ok

[Edited on 27/1/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about that. How do you attach pics to a post from your archive?

Regards

Rhod

dinosaurjuice

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
heres one:

ramps complete set up 2
ramps complete set up 2

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
How did you attach that?
iank

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
[pg=37910]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

r1_pete

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just copy and paste the url from your archive, its under the picture when you open it :
ramps
ramps

in this case img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/3ramps.JPG[/img

[ & ] omitted.....

[Edited on 27/1/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys. What are your thoughts about the ramps?

Regards

Rhod

Hammerhead

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
why not just use 4 of these?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
one of the scottish lads was selling a pair like that just a few days ago for not very much money

JeffHs

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
They look a great idea. There is a local car dealer who uses very similar ramps to display cars on the forecourt.
The only snag is where you keep them when they're not in use.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
found the link

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=104079

big ramp
big ramp

r1_pete

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodders
Thanks for the help guys. What are your thoughts about the ramps?

Regards

Rhod

Oh Yes, the thread sort of lost its way a bit didn't it.

They're ok but you probably beed to build jacks in, or how would you take a wheel off, I thought about a pair when I started my MGB, but went for a rotisserie instead. I bet the first time you drive up them and they see saw, gives the same feeling in the pants as when I 1st rotated the B's shell, its not normal being able to spin a car over with one had, but if the balance is right......

On its side
On its side

Delinquent

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
why bother with the props at the end? Just make the drive up ramps long / strong enough so that you can pivot the car up then these fold past 90deg to form the end supports.
marco

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Pm sent Rhod
sorens2

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea.

I have this solution.

Soren S2

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've already got four axle stands but that don't get the cars high enough. I will probably have to do the clutch on my Legacy soon so I need the car high enough to get the gearbox out with relative ease. I also have a bad knee so getting up and down of the floor is quite painfull, still hurts after three operations to try and fix it.

Thanks for finding the link to the ramps but for the price them plus the fuel and to get there to pick them up it would probably be cheaper for me to get them done down in the south when I have the money.

To jack up the car when it's on the ramp I thought about putting some 5mm plate on the ramp and use a scissor jack to raise it up on the jacking points. Do you think this is a good idea?

Unfortunately I don't like the idea of the ramps pivoting as I drive up them, it would be a brown trouser moment every time I get a car up on them.

Wish I could afford the two post ramps they would be ideal but no space and no money for them.

Regards

Rhod

Delinquent

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't bother with jacks either - just make a long handled lever as per F1 style - as long as the car is close to the pivot point it's going to require next to no effort to tip it.
rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I wasn't making myself clear. I would raise the ramps with a trolley jack on the big bar running between the two ramps.

Once it is securely up in the air I was planning to put some 5mm plate steel on the ramps (where the wheels contact the ramp) to lift the car further up in the air, this would allow me to get the wheels off.

I would use some scissor jacks to do the lifting. Good idea? Do you think the 5mm steel of the whole construction would be able to cope it a 2000Kg car?

Regards

Rhod

thunderace

posted on 27/1/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodders
Having had enough lying on a cold and often wet floor to do work on my cars so I decided to look into some ramps. I would ideally like a two post electric ramp but I can't afford one and don't have the space. So looking around on this forum and the interweb I found these

can you make them so that the start bits fold down to the ground then you dont need the stands at the back

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

I like to design and the idea but I don't like the price. So I thought I would design my own and get them made. Here are a few pics of what I have been doing over the last couple of days using Solidworks.

ramps
ramps

ramps 2
ramps 2

ramps complete setup
ramps complete setup

ramps complete set up 2
ramps complete set up 2

Each ramp is 3500mm long, 400mm wide and 600mm high, excluding the run on ramps. It comes in three parts, front part 1400mm, rear part 2100mm and the run on ramps 1000mm. The box section and angle pieces are 50mm X 50mm and 5mm thick all of the plate is 5mm thick. It might be a bit of overkill but I don't fancy having a Legacy falling on me from that hight.

I have tried doing some testing to see how much force the ramp will take before the metal fails but I haven't really used Cosmosworks before so the results look wrong. Do you guys think 5mm thickness will cope with the weight?

I also designed some rear ramp supports (they are in the last two pics) but these probably wont be used as my axle stands reach the required height (450mm).

I have done some testing with Cosmosmotion that the centre of gravity is over the rear section. I have also done some weight testing and found that the ramp will not tip forward with 6000N at 100mm away from the stop plate and 5000N a further 2500mm back, on both sides. This was a rough estimation of the force that my tin top would put on the ramp.

I thought about how I could jack up the car when it's on the ramp in the upright position, my solution is to lay some 5mm plate on the ramp and use a car jack to raise it up on the jacking points. Do you think this is a good idea? Any other options?

I want to get these made at some point in the future but I don't have a job at he mo so I cant afford to get them done. What are your opinions on the design and can you see any improvements that need to be made, all comments welcome.

Regards

Rhod

Edit: I put the pics in, a link from my archive but there not showing up. Anyone know how to do this?

clairetoo

posted on 27/1/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing's I can think of are - at 5mm thick , it will weigh a ton , and cost a small fortune to build ! I suspect the weight capacity would be in the tens of tons..............

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
The design could be modified to allow the run on ramps to be used as the rear supports. It would only require the cutting out of the horizontal section of the angle iron below where the bolts join the run on ramps and the rear section. This would allow the run on ramps to swing down, removal of a bit of the angle iron would probably weaken and deform the part of the rear section where the two sections meet.

It's a good idea but I would not feel that comfortable being under the car with only the run on ramps supporting the weight at the back. I've got two sets of axle stands and it would give me more piece of mind to have them under there than just the run on ramps.

Regards

Rhod

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
According to Solidworks the whole thing would weigh about 500Kg (assuming I put the material values in correctly) but it would come in quiet a few sections so moving it would be relatively easy.

I'm not sure about the capacity it will take but I rather have it over engineered than under engineered. I don't fancy having a car falling on me. I will have a look into the cost of getting it made but I don't think it would be more than the cost of one of the restoration ramps.

Regards

Rhod

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/1/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the ramps that Geoff Wilking made.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

toenee

posted on 27/1/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I made a set like your design a couple of years ago.

One of the best things i have made, the only problem is my Robin Hood (dont laugh), has narrower wheel centres at the front than at the back.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.