Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone into Hot Rods?
alistairolsen

posted on 26/8/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone into Hot Rods?

I quite fancy doing something like this:

As a future project, keep the lines clean and none of the daft skull gearknobs or anything, just a classis pick up body on a ladder frame chassis with a 5 linked live axle or alternatively some nicely powdercoated jag IRS. Id want to remove the bonnet sides and run straight, open pipes, and some massively wide tyres.

Issues are:

Id want whitewall tyres with a period zigzag pattern, but I really dont want to fit crossplies!
Id want to run straight open pipes but maintain lambda controlled efi
Id want disk brakes and independant front suspension.

Biggest issue would be getting a 1940s body with open pipes through an IVA test!

Anyone else share my love for old rods?

My Build Thread

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/8/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have whitewalls for the Falcon, but their flexible trim rings that I fit after deflating the tyre and then are locked in place once their pumped up. Look totally convincing and iirc where £50 a set

Tbh that looks a very simple car to get through the SVA compared to a 7

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 26/8/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
For the exhaust.... fit a diverter flap...

run through the hidden pipe for quiet+emmissions reasons..

and then flick a switch and have NO pipes

You mut be able to get tyres from the states with whitewalls and proper radial build...

Good luck, they do look fantastic!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

alistairolsen

posted on 26/8/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Flexible whitwalls sound good, alternatively tyre paint *might* work.

These have the right tread:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=Sportsman

but are crossplies

These are radial and ok, but arent available properly wide.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanST

Diverter valve is a shout, but I wanted 4 open pipes off each bank...

which would mean 8 valves against the head. TBH I reckon the only way is a swap post IVA and for every mot.

The rest of the IVA should be ok, there are always ways and means. The difficulty is in thing like the original column and switchgear, having no side bodywork but Im sure judicious use of pipe insulation and cable ties would work.

My Build Thread

coozer

posted on 26/8/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
There was a V8 powered strip racer at the last Scotch Corner meet...

Looked and sounded real cool...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 26/8/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Diverter valve is a shout, but I wanted 4 open pipes off each bank...

which would mean 8 valves against the head. TBH I reckon the only way is a swap post IVA and for every mot.

And for driving it on the road...you'd be issued with an S59 before the first few miles running on open pipes. You wouldn't be able to have closed loop fuel control either (well, maybe with one sensor per pipe...).

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/8/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
you haven't a hope in hell getting away with pipes like that in this country, I've heard them and their ear splitting

[Edited on 26/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 26/8/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
How about this:

33 Model A Pick Up
33 Model A Pick Up

I believe its 40" high to the roof and is mid engined.

marcjagman

posted on 26/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Can't beat an old rod, I'm sure there is someone selling fibreglass bodies and chassis to build your own.
mistergrumpy

posted on 26/8/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Rodline were but I believe they've gone bust now and their site has gone. I looked but never found a fibreglass pick up body for model A's, generally just roofless coupes.
Canada EH!

posted on 26/8/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
What you are looking for is either headers or what were referred to as Lake Pipes.

The open engined cars such as the 32 Ford Pickup you show ran headers back toward the start of the cowl with a bolt on plate to send the exhaust down a second pipe under the car to the mufflers, then back out the side just ahead of the rear wheels as in a Locost.

The second type for full bodied cars late 40's early 50's ran along the side of the rocker panel to just ahead of the rear wheel opening were the removable cap was placed.

The reason for this was high speed runs on the dry lakes of California and Nevada, drive the car there muffled, pop the plates and go for it.

There are now available electric solenoid operated ones so you can be a bad boy any time you think the police are not around.

As for white wall tires there is a company in the US of A called Coker tires make all kinds of vintage tires, even Michelin and Pirelli.

I think it would be a very expensive project to build a HOT ROD in the UK as everything would come from over here, same as most of the stuff I need for the LOcost comes from over there.

If lots of money you go the 1 800 route, pick up the phone and order all the bits, or a kit just like Caterham or Westfield.

Canada EH!

posted on 26/8/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot about the fuel injection and disc brakes, both are available. Hilborn injectors like used on drag cars of the 60's are being converted to electronic by replacing the manual injectors with electronic ones.

Whole front suspension setups are available for most older American cars, double A Arm, coil overs and disc brakes.

Most Hot Rodders use the Ford 9" diff which is also used by Nascar, so the sky is the limit.

blakep82

posted on 26/8/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
i still really really want to do something like this
http://www.zcars.com.au/images/bentley-s3-e-design-concept1.jpg

the photo's a bit big, so you'll have to click the link

at my speed with this pick up, i think the S3 will be 100 years old by the time i'm done...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 26/8/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry Blake - but that's just horrible!

What you want is one of these...

Rat Rod
Rat Rod

This was seen at RAF Lakenheath - note the burn marks on the door! Apparently the first time he drove it the insulation on the inside of the door caught fire...

It was very well constructed - just not pretty.

Being an American serviceman he wasn't particularly bothered about SVA/IVA - it never went off-base.

big_wasa

posted on 26/8/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
have you had a look here ?
blakep82

posted on 26/8/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=120334

lol, could be a start

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Nash

posted on 26/8/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
oh I love that

http://www.wisbech-engineering.co.uk/Wisbech_Engineering_-_Photo_Gallery_-_Gibbs_Bentley_Special.html

its shiny and precious.....

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

alistairolsen

posted on 27/8/09 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, being in britain is really limiting, but like you say, I guess not much worse than trying to build a locost where there were never any cortinas! Everything is available at a cost, be it a ford 9 inch or jag IRS.

I HATE that bently thing, looks awful imho.

The rod looks cool, but im not into the rat look, would look better painted imo.

Ive looked thru wisbechs site before, and if the build happens, I suspect a lot of money will go that way!

Their projects make interesting viewing and the only one with any detail looks amazing!

[Edited on 27/8/09 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.