Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help / Advice needed - My dog has killed a neighbours dog.
designer

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
This happenned to a neighbour of mine.

It's harsh, but the only way out is to have the dog put down.

It really is the only way to show to the other owners that you recognise the severity of the matter. Also you should cover any costs, if any, they incurred.

I would do it if my dog did something like that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just reading through the posts here has changed my opinion.

If you know in your own mind you cant risk your own newborn child with having the dog in the house by trusting him 100%, is it fair to potentially put another family at risk by re-homing him??

2 previous owners before you is a concern for me - do you know why they wanted him re-homed?? This quite possibly isn't the first time something has happened.

Sorry Steve but i'd be looking at speaking to a vet at the very least to see if they have another option other than having him put down.

billy

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
its a sad fact that them jack russels are mini killing machines!!!!!!

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

welderman

reading the posts, Steve, you know what ive said mate, he's a good dog, been great aroung my kids, but think he will have to be re-homed.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

davie h

quote:
Originally posted by Steve G

If you know in your own mind you cant risk your own newborn child with having the dog in the house by trusting him 100%, is it fair to potentially put another family at risk by re-homing him??

i was going to say the same, if you dont trust him in your house with the baby on the way its not fair to rehome in another house that might have kids, i know you said he's good round people but think how you would feel if it were a kid he went for.

Davie

[Edited on 23/12/09 by davie h]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179682@N04/?saved=1

oadamo

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
as soon as i found out my gf was pregnant i got rid of my 2 dogs. because you hear of all these kids getting attacked and i didnt want mine to be one of them.
adam

edit: it was a shitty thing to do but i dont regret it. and most of your time gos on the new baby so its one less thing to worry about aswell.
adam

[Edited on 23/12/09 by oadamo]

billy

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
give the dog to some old grannies, tell then it hates other dogs and it should be ok, just make sure they know!

Dusty

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I feel very sorry for you but I think you have to understand your dog. Many dogs fight, lots of noise and very frightening but they seldom kill. Your dog has killed. No good saying the other dog may have started it. Your dog was in the other dogs teritory and must have known that.
Suppose you keep the dog, it accepts the baby. It has to accept its demotion to lowest member of the pack with no option ever to challenge for promotion. Ok so it does this. It will then protect all pack members. This is an absolute duty for dogs. Usualy they will warn an intruder or anyone they see as threatening. Can you trust your dog to do just this. That granny down the shops reaching in to the pram and cooing may get herself attacked. What if she has he Yorkie under her arm?
Be realistic.

billy

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hey dusty, did that pup in a bun in your avtar taste nice???

corrado vr6

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
What breed was the other dog that was killed? out of interest,
If it were my dog that was killed i would want something done, unless i knew my dog was at fault anyway!

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

stuart_g

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Aggressive dogs are no good to no one especially children. If a child moved towards it and the dog interpreted it as aggressive I hope you can live with yourself and the consequences.

For it to have actually killed the other dog shows it has a very viscious streak. I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Take it to your vet and ask for their advice perhaps.

oadamo

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
Aggressive dogs are no good to no one especially children. If a child moved towards it and the dog interpreted it as aggressive I hope you can live with yourself and the consequences.

For it to have actually killed the other dog shows it has a very viscious streak. I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Take it to your vet and ask for their advice perhaps.

(hope you can live with yourself and the consequences)

thats why i got rid of mine plus the other half would of never forgive me if somthing happened.
adam

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I do not yet know the full story of what happened, the only thing I know is that (although not confirmed yet) my dog has killed the other dog. This was in the their (dogs) house, that he has never been to before, and because he'd been let in by them.

There was a community support officer round and they said straight away that they didn't want to press charges or have anything happen to my dog.

I would be 100% confident that my dog would know it's place when the baby came along, and that the baby would not be in danger, but I feel that I would have my opinion be second place to my wifes in this matter.

I would not choose to rehome the dog without it being a perfectly suitable home and without a new owner being 100% informed about how my dog is going to him if that is what is possible.

I am going to ring the vets in the morning an tell them the full story and seek advice from them.

I am unsure what to do, the only thing I know for sure is that I would do a lot not to have my dog killed at this stage, despite him being responsible for killing the other dog.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
tbh had a dog done that to one of my dogs I'd have put it down there and then by wringing its neck, then I'd be telling the owner to buy me another dog.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Plenty of people will take a dog with signs of that temperament Steve.

I do feel however, that even though you are 100% that it will know its place when the newborn arrives, once it does arrive you may feel differently.

Obv a touchy subject, please take my reply in the lightest possible terms as I am not a father or a dog owner, this is just how I feel I would react.

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
The hardest thing I have ever done in my life is to walk into the vets with my dog, and walk out without it.

NO dog is 100% trustworthy, and finding it a new home is passing the buck, IMHO.

Paul G

t.j.

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The dog may protect his territory as the little child is born. That's in his nature.

So only if you are in strong charge to protect your territory and the wife and doggy, then he will accept a child.

If the dog must protect his own, the child will be have a least scarfes.

So ask your self will the dog accept a lower ranking. If not.....

This all comes with being a parent...

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

david4

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
This one is hard,but first i would go see this neighbour who as lost there dog and see what they want and go from there.that then give,s you a choice if they say keep the dog and then its up to you and your wife but if your wife is not happy then there is only one choice i cannot see any one been the no-4 owner,s what was the other dog
loggyboy

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Its all good saying that your sure the dog will be ok around the new child, but if someone had asked you a few days ago, 'do you think your dog would kill another dog?', I bet you would have answered 'Not a chance' - but now you know otherwise.

Just say your wrong and it does attack another dog, or worse a child (yours or someone elses)
Do you want to be in the position of explaning to your other children/friends/relatives/newscrews etc that you were sure your dog would be ok, despite killing before.

Think of it as a person, if you kill someone, you have to be judged and sentenced on your actions. I dont think a Jury would accept, 'I wont do it again, honest' You would go to Jail fullstop. In some countrys you would be put down. and thats a person we are talking about. At the end of the day, despite you loving it and it being part of the family, it is only an animal, and as there is no way to put an animal in prison (without being unfair to it as it will never know what its done wrong) the only answer (IMO) is to have it put to sleep.

[Edited on 24/12/09 by loggyboy]

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Having it put to sleep is not what I would be doing if I walked into the vets with it, and walked out without it.

The dog would not be snoozing, kicking it's little legs asleep, it would be dead.

I cannot in good conscience be the person that does that to a person or an animal, I never stand on a bug/worm/snail etc in my entire life. It's not relevant that this decision is about my own dog, I would still not do this.

I agree with lots of the above, in that it's a risk that is not worth taking even though I am confident in it#s future behaviour. I hope that I don't wee people off on here by not taking what they've called the only option, but I will do my best to get him taken to a dogs trust or something, but with nothing hidden about what's happened...

Humbug

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO it's not worth the risk keeping him yourself and it would be negligent to pass him on to someone else (even if you did tell them all about him).

Sorry, mate

Dave Ashurst

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

As a father and a dog owner I feel for you. What a shocking thing to happen.

If it was me, from what you've said I'd personally decide that that dog has to go.
(EDIT: I think your choice is wise.)

Emotionally a tough decision I know but my first duty is to guarantee safety for the baby and, as important, to give my wife peace of mind.

When you first hold your baby you'll know what I mean.

You need a dog though, right? Just not this one. I think it's important to replace a lost dog in your life. (If you have the space, time and commitment.)

Anyway you might need an excuse to get out of the house from time to time.

Are you able to go with your neighbour to choose a couple of suitable new puppies? One for them and one for you? Bitches are a good bet in a family environment. See the one on the left for example. Spend the time training properly and you will be well repaid.

D

[Edited on 24/12/09 by Dave Ashurst]

bigpig

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Another option could be to contact RSPCA/Dogs Trust to see if they will take the dog before resorting to it being put down. The only concern here is the attacking of another dog. If its not got a history of it then you may be OK. I guess in return you could sponsor a dog or two there. My son, when he was about 5, asked for a dog sponsorship one year as a birthday present.

Spoke to the other half and she says you should get the dog to the vets first in case there is something physically wrong with the dog (e.g brain disorder). You could try one of the muzzle cages that they use for lurchers to stop them snaffling day old chips when out for a walk (our friend's dog has that problem) and a dog cage when its in the house (its a large cage that acts as an indoor kennel).

Its a real knacker of a decision to make, I won't even put down our old dog who is so old and arthritic I have to assist getting up at the moment. As long as he wants his dinner and isn't miserable then he is fine to carry on.

As others have said, the dog will probably attack the baby at some point, over something silly like playing with one of its toys, pulling wiskers or tail or just climbing on it whilst the dog is asleep. It sounds like the dog doesn't instigate but does react with overwhelming force.

Your main problem is that you can do the muzzle guard, cage e.t.c, but it only takes *one* time to harm the baby which means you would need an inordinate amount of vigilance.

whitestu

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
It's just a dog and needs to be put down.

Stu

loggyboy

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I just have that scene in my head, from The Green Mile - the boy whose face was mauled by the dog.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.