Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: really really OT - a castle in the clouds?
vinny1275

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
really really OT - a castle in the clouds?

Morning all...

This is such a long wat OT, but I'm sure someone on here will know of somewhere....

A friend of mine's daughter has had leukaemia, which thankfully is now in remission. She's working through some of her wishes now that she's not having chemo, and one of those wishes was to visit a castle in the clouds...

I'm sure there must be a castle / stately home somewhere on top of a mahoosive hill, which gets the clouds / mist down to it (I'm not sure Dartmoor prison counts as a castle really...), so I sugested that, and she's challenged me to find one.. I've found a website for one in the States, but was thinking closer to home - anyone got one local to them, or one they've visited?

Ideally needs to be a complete structure, as she wants to go and look around the inside...

Cheers all,

Vince

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe there will be something in Europe, perhaps Austria or Bavaria?

Time for the forum to get searching methinks

Just found this one?

JB

[Edited on 5/1/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Humbug

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Just found this one?

JB

I spent a summer working in a restaurant in the village (Hohenschwangau) at the bottom of the hill below that castle.

Also, the one linked above (Neuschwanstein) was the inspiration for the Disney fairytale castle:

[Edited on 05.01.2011 by Humbug]

MakeEverything

posted on 5/1/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Just found this one?

JB

I spent a summer working in a restaurant in the village (Hohenschwangau) at the bottom of the hill below that castle.

Also, the one linked above (Neuschwanstein) was the inspiration for the Disney fairytale castle:

[Edited on 05.01.2011 by Humbug]

And also the castle in Chitty bang bang?

There are loads in Scotland. MangoGrooveWorkshop seems pretty knowledgeable, why not drop him a line to see if he can find anything suitable.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jabbahutt

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
sorry haven't got time to post the pic but here is a link, looks ideal though in Germany. Hope that helps

http://www.citypictures.net/r-world-castles-256-neuschwanstein-castle-bavaria-germany---clowds-4126.htm

Irony

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Chamonix in France. Went there Skiing. Lovely.

bbwales

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have been to the Neuschwanstein castle a few times and in fact it is on the route for this years tour. It is not far from Fussen and in the foothills of the German Alps. Lots to see and do around there too.

There are organised tours of the castle, I did a tour with the Americans based in Garmisch Partenkirchen which included bus fares and the tour for 2 adults and 2 kids which cost something like $20 and no queues. To get to the castle from Garmisch you have to go through Austria so the route is very scenic.

Regards

Bob

[Edited on 5/1/11 by bbwales]

emsfactory

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Stirling castle is sometimes in the cloud.
jossey

posted on 5/1/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/where_to_stay/article3205650.ece

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Neuschwanstein is a real fairy-tale castle, inside and out, with grottos, huge murals with paintings of heros and fair maidens, and so on.

It's in a nice area, too.

blakep82

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
also need to remember it has to be in the clouds when she goes! rules most of britain out, stirling castle is pretty rarely in clouds.
i think Neuschwanstein is your best bet, as said proper fairytale, up in the moutains and just looks awesome. even if theres no clouds on that particular day, its still better than stirling!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 5/1/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I went to Neuchwanstein about 18 months ago, and it was ridiculously hot with clear blue skies, I don't think I've ever been as sweaty in my life after the steep walk up to the castle. You'd have to choose your visiting time carefully to get a chance of clouds.
vinny1275

posted on 5/1/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies gang, I've sent her the link to Neuchwanstein and suggested if she's thinking of going there to call them and see when they're most likely to get clouds! (that might also put it out of high tourist season... bonus!)

MikeRJ

posted on 5/1/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
Thanks for the replies gang, I've sent her the link to Neuchwanstein and suggested if she's thinking of going there to call them and see when they're most likely to get clouds! (that might also put it out of high tourist season... bonus!)

You might want to take the scenic route like I did; over to Dunkirk on the ferry then down to the Nurburgring for a few laps, down again to Neuchwanstein for a bit of castle viewing and then pop over the Stelvio Pass into Italy

Actually some of the passes in the Alps are incredible when in cloud, very spooky.

[Edited on 5/1/11 by MikeRJ]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 5/1/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Also.....

Depending on how old/adventurous she is there are some fabulous castles in transylvania, in the carpathian mountains, Romania.

It's further away than Germany of course, but once your there perhaps less touristy and cheaper (?). The Dracula connection is a bit exciting.

AntelopeMan

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
It may be a little different to what you're looking for, but this building is pretty crazy (in switzerland)

http://www.designboom.com/eng/funclub/dillerscofidio.html

TimC

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
A bit left-field again and more mist than cloud but Angkor Wat (Cambodia) at dawn is unreal!

Closer to home is Castell Coch just outside Cardiff.

[Edited on 30/3/11 by TimC]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.