Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Outboard Problem
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/8/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Outboard Problem

Any engineering gurus on here tonight?

I've just stripped down my outboard engine and found the gear selector mechanism has a bit that needs replacing/repairing. It is basically a stepped piece of steel which sits on the end of the forward/reverse selector rod. It looks a little like the side of a jigsaw puzzle piece which takes a tab if you know what I mean I guess it's hardened steel as it will take a fair bit of hammer. Basically the rod pulls on the actuator which then presses against a spring-loaded shaft in the gear shaft which runs in a sort of diff setup. When under spring tension the crown wheel turns one planet gear, then when the rod is pushede in, the other planet gear is selected so reversing the shaft direction.

Would it be possible to braze, weld etc. the bit in question, or is it possible to make a new one?

A replacement is pretty much a no-go as the engine is pretty old and it is highly unlikely that I could get a replacement, even second-hand.

Sorry for the essay

Thanks.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

designer

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
We need a photo before we can answer the question.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
As if my magic:

Before:

Penta1
Penta1

After:

Penta4
Penta4

The change lever sits inside the broken end (or it did ) and pulls the plate up to change gear.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like something just right for water-jet or laser cutting - there are a few experts on this forum - maybe one of them can tell you how to get the shape defined in the correct format for one of those machines.

Alternatively - it's not beyond a bit of hand-crafting. If I was making that I'd probably use mild steel and case-harden it... what are the rough dimensions?

daviep

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Alternatively - it's not beyond a bit of hand-crafting. If I was making that I'd probably use mild steel and case-harden it... what are the rough dimensions?

Exactly what I was thinking:- Grinder, drill, half round file, job done

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

iank

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
If it lives a hard life I'd agree with David, water/laser cut and then hardened if necessary. Trying to fix it risks it breaking at an unfortunate time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 1/8/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
send it to andyw7de (after contacting him first lol) and he'll be able to do you a new one
and it'll be an almost exact copy! which i don't think you'll really get by hand

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit, I was thinking of making one from mild steel then trying to harden it. From what I've read it's a case of heating to a certain temperature then quenching in oil or water.

Dimensions are approx 45mm long x 5mm thick.

[Edited on 1/8/11 by Daddylonglegs]

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Case hardening is the best solution - IMHO - you heat the part in case-hardening powder (e.g. Kasenite) until it's red hot. Keep it that heat for a while. Once it has cooled you'll find that it has a super-hard high-carbon skin over a resilient core of mild steel.

Just don't case harden it until the part is finished and polished, as you won't be able to modify it very easily afterwards!

[Edited on 1/8/11 by David Jenkins]

v8kid

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Must admit, I was thinking of making one from mild steel then trying to harden it. From what I've read it's a case of heating to a certain temperature then quenching in oil or water.

Dimensions are approx 45mm long x 5mm thick.

[Edited on 1/8/11 by Daddylonglegs]

No. mild steel cannot be hardened this way as there is not enough carbon in it. If using mild steel you have to case harden it by heating it up to red heat and repeatedly immersing it in a case hardening powder. this will harden the outer few thousands of an inch and help prevent wear. It will do diddlysquat for the strength or toughness of the part.

Carbon or tool steel can be hardened by heating to white heat and quenching when it will be extremely hard but brittle. tempering it by heating it a bit and allowing to cool will reduce brittleness but also reduce strength. The hotter you heat it the less brittle and strong it becomes.

Contrary to popular opinion it is a skilled trade - assuming you want a repeatable predetermined set of conditions. If anything will do - I guess that's what you get.

Nothing to loose by trying it and seeing what you get. If the original was case hardened you will be able to drinn into the fracture - if not it is tool steel and it,s more difficult.

Me? I'd try to get a second hand part its amazing what is available on places like smokestack.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the size of the piece, you could cut it out of something the model engineers call "gauge plate", which is high-carbon steel of a fairly precise thickness. It can be hardened, but doesn't come in big bits though (not easily obtainable, anyway). It's quite expensive though.

Though, as v8kid says, hardening of critical parts is an art...

andyw7de

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ill make some calls tomorrow and see if i can get a small offcut of tool steel from one of my customers

If i can then Ill give you a shout, failing that ill cut you half a dozen so that you can experiment with case hardening.

Id need to check but I think stainless may be harder than standard mild steel, might be worth a try.

material aside these will be very cheap to cut, especially at LCB rates

Andy

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

rf900rush

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just a long shot. It might be worth listing the Make model of your Outboard just in case any one one here has spares.

A while back I needed a (£600+new) CDI unit for a suzuki outboard.
Many hours on ebay ended up with enough bits (-CDI and Gaskets) to build a complete engine.

So you never know.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies chaps

Andy, I'll be back....with a drawing

BTW, the engine is an Archimedes (read Volvo) Penta 120, 12hp I think. twin 2-stroke.

Thanks guys, this forum never fails to deliver

Peteff

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy 01 tool steel from Cromwells which can be hardened and tempered with a blowlamp and a domestic oven. Look for precision ground flat stock on their website. You only need to heat it to cherry then quench it in oil, steel melts before it gets to white hot.

[Edited on 1/8/11 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.