Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre squirt
David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre squirt

I want to go and buy a can of emergency tyre repair stuff tomorrow - anyone recommend a good brand, or suggest a make or type to avoid?

Ta.

David

[Edited on 27/8/04 by David Jenkins]

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/04 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bike lads use a product called 'SLIME'.

Not used any myself... don't plan to either!

Dale

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I will be using just a tire repair kit(plugs with the glue and T handled needle. They go for around 5-10$ Canadian, And then just carry a can of compressed air or a double ended hose long enough to reach from one tire to another to scavage a bit of air. This way the tire can be properly patched later if you wish and it wont gum up the inside of the tire and wee off the repair station that fixes your tires later.
Dale

Viper

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt use slim, it has to go in the tyre before you get a puncture, defo not recomended on a bike, is known to upset the balance something evil....

TVR's spare is in a can, i think its the Holts one, not positive about the make though and its only a get you home job...

I am gonna put a spare on the back ala caterham.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hortimech

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I personaly wouldnt use anything like SLIME or OKO to try and repair a puncture, because it does not work that way and could lead to instability due to having to put about a couple of litres of a thick liquid in each tyre.
If you use one of the "spare tyres in a can" aerosols then you will have to buy a new tyre, cause all the tyre firms I know wont repair the tyre after its use.

Why does everything happen to me

Spyderman

posted on 29/8/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Finilec was the original and suposedly best!
I know people who have used it successfully.

Terry

Spyderman

Hellfire

posted on 24/9/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
The new Honda Accord doesn't have a spare wheel, all they get is a can of sealer and a compressor. If the puncture is bad enough that the sealer has no effect, the tyre is useless anyway!

Ths sealer is only used as a temporary repair to get you to the garage where an analysis will be done on the safety issue of the puncture itself.

The detail about it running out of balance, would be no worse than using a 'skinny' safety tyre as they are limited to 45-55mph anyway, as probably would a 'gooed' tyre (don't know, I haven't got one!).

Regarding the feasability of the garage charging you more with 'goo' in the tyre. You take your chances and pay accordingly.

Stu16v

posted on 24/9/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can remember, either when driving myself, or with anybody else driving, I have only ever been in a vehicle that has had a puncture twice. And the above statement was a slight lie, one of them wasnt the vehicle, it was the trailer it was towing!

*Touches wood*

I dont carry a spare or a can of goop. I bought one when a ran the Westfield about, but never transferred it to the Locost. And I certainly wouldnt put that slime in my tyres- if the tyre punctures, and the carcass gets damaged, you could be blissfully unaware. At least until you need to brake hard, or corner sharply. At that point, tyre lets go, and you find out

To summerize, IMHO you are carrying something around (whether it be a spare wheel, sealer, or slime), in a car that, in reality, does limited mileage. And realistically, if the car is going to leave you stranded, chances are it is going to be something other than a flat tyre...

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Hellfire

posted on 24/9/04 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Stu - the point is, you don't put it in the tyre unless you have a puncture... that way you know and drive accordingly to get it repaired/replaced.

Stu16v

posted on 25/9/04 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, know that (hence me mentioning about carrying a can/goop), but there is also the stuff that goes in the tyres, to prevent a puncture happening in the first place. Well, at least, you still get the puncture, but it is self sealing. IMHO that *could* be very dangerous...

[Edited on 25/9/04 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Hellfire

posted on 25/9/04 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Aahhhh... I C

I agreed with you - infact I would have thought that the stuff you put in your tyre to PREVENT a puncture is dangerous!

jollygreengiant

posted on 26/9/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
BL wedge shape Princes's had the puncture seal system fitted as an option from new. They were horrible. Half the time drivers never new they had a puncture until the had a second puncture and then complained that the system didn't work. Yes punture seals in a can are available, BUT only for emergency get you out of the mire situations as previously stated.

Enjoy

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Peteff

posted on 26/9/04 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a puncture it will probably be the sort where the tyre goes down gradually. If you have a blowout type puncture your squirt stuff will be no use anyway as it only seals small holes. I carry a can just in case but my first course would be to phone the AA.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MK7

posted on 27/9/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some trye moose at Stoneleigh. The demo at the show was pretty convincing, a tyre fitted with the stuff and a spikey thing with which to puncture the tyre. The trye could be seen to be plastered with puncture holes but no air was escaping.

The claims are the the product will seal holes up to 6mm (1/4 inch) for the natural life of the tyre. It also points out that holes in the tyre wall which can not be repaied by plugs and the like will not be treated with the moose.

The product comes in a container of around 1 litre. I have about 200ml left after filling 4 tyres (195 / 50 / 15). It said to be prepared for a bit of wheel imbalance while the stuff coats the inside of the tyre, however, I never experienced any imbalance.

I'm not aware of having had any punctures and for around £25.00 I consider it to be a worthwhile insurance policy.

A link to the website is here.

Good luck

MK7

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.