Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ferry crossings which?
pewe

posted on 8/4/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ferry crossings which?

We are planning a trip to Italy and thinking about whether it's better to drive all the way or maybe go by ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao.
Does anyone have experience of the ferry and/or who it's best to book with?
I've come up with DirectFerries.com but their reviews aren't sparkling.
Thanks in anticipation, Pewe10.

[Edited on 8/4/12 by pewe]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/4/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would drive, I would have thought around 35 40 hours on a ferry Santander or Bilbao its going to take you longer and be more expensive than driving direct from Calais.
thunderace

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I would drive, I would have thought around 35 40 hours on a ferry Santander or Bilbao its going to take you longer and be more expensive than driving direct from Calais.

thats what i was thinking?
its 1000km to italy from bilbao and 1000km from Calais to italy?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/4/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER

thats what i was thinking?
its 1000km to italy from bilbao and 1000km from Calais to italy?

Yes, it only makes sense if you want to for any other reason want to drive through spain, and then drive along the south coast of france, which would be very nice drive, better than driving direct from Calais to Italy.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

pewe

posted on 8/4/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think you guys are correct.
Just worked out the figures and it certainly looks as if Chunnel then drive down through France is the best option - we can even beg a few nights with ex-pat friends near Carcasonne.
If I soft pedal the right foot on the way down consumption could be even better, saving plenty for storming the Alpine passes on the way through.
Cheers, Pewe10

Brian R

posted on 8/4/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Tunnel.

Quick and easy.

JoelP

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I sailed to santander once - 24 hours of misery. Which ever way i lay on the bed, it felt like my feet were above my head. Think that boat was rolling slowly as i turned around

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mark chandler

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Pride of Bilbao is a nice boat, you may even see some whales! Then drive along dual carriage ways with wonderful bends along the edge of the Pyrenees to the Italian boarder.

It's not as cheap as going Tunnel then through France but for me the roads are superior from Bilbao.

Regards Mark

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/4/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not that you're looking for cheap... but, just for the record, I find it cheapest to cross the channel by ferry on DFDS, Dover/Dunkirk.

OK it's not the quickest but you can catch up on some sleep and it's about half the cost of the channel tunnel.

The crossing takes 2 hours. Sailings are every 2 hours mostly, with a gap from 10pm Saturday to 8am Sunday (or is it 8pm to 10am?).

If it's a busy crossing then a VIP ticket for extra £8 per person, each way, in advance might be worth it. It gives you first-on/first-off priority boarding plus use of the executive lounge which provides a bit of peace and quiet and a limited selection of free tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit (the freeby selection was better when they were Norfolkline.)

If, like me you do it often enough then a multi-trip deal is a very good buy and gives you complete flexibility. They just ask that you phone ahead to check in for the sailing you want - which I usually do from the car, en-route.

Using multi-trip bookings over the last 2 years I traveled for less than £50 return at any time, any day (certain bank holidays excepted), with car, driver and up to a full carload of passengers.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/4/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
We are planning a trip to Italy as well www.rust2rome.com

Second time we are in the gang cheapest ferry is dover to dunkirk dfds

For the record a trip like this return to naples and back was 4250 miles

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.