Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! PC won't boot up
Nick DV

posted on 23/4/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Help! PC won't boot up

I hope there is someone in computer land that can give me some advice

My pc was playing up a couple of days ago when on the internet, so I reloaded it and it worked fine. To cut a long story short, this happened a couple of times, then the thing froze and did not want to do anything. After a lot of faffing around - and maybe some cr*p advice - I did a system restore, which got the pc working but I had lost all of my files! So much for it saying that it keeps them! After a few hours of seeming to work ok, the same thing happened, until I cannot even reboot the pc.

When I try to boot up, I get the initial Windows icon/message and then it stops. If I F12 and try to boot up, go in on the diagnostic path, it says "Windows is loading files" and then does nothing!!

I am lost at this point, and certainly don't profess to be knowledgable in the art of computers, so any answers or advice in simple terms will be gratefully received.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

beagley

posted on 23/4/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
From the sounds of it, it may be 1 of 2 things that immediately came to mind.

1. Your hard drive is on the fritz and is preventing Windows from loading properly due to some bad sectors
2. The RAM is shot..... but since you can actually get pas the BIOS loading screen into where Windows is starting to load itself into memory my best guess would be #1 above.

HTH

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Nick DV

posted on 23/4/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Beags. Hope it's not that but it's a starting point!

Cheers, Nick

jon85

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same problem last week after interupting a system restore, think i upset something because like yours it wouldnt load up.
depending on what pc you use you can sometimes do a factory restore.
i know dell have a factory recovery partition which will restore it to like it was new but erases everything.

otherwise, i managed to get hold of a vista recovery disc from my uncle which fixed the problem and didnt delete anything which im pretty sure u can get online and put on disk if u have a spare computer.

also try http://www.vistax64.com/ some very helpful guys on here. hope this helps.

jon

mcerd1

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
I did a system restore, which got the pc working but I had lost all of my files! So much for it saying that it keeps them!

I'm guessing this is windows XP ?

did you do a system restore by going into the 'help & support centre' and resoring back to a certain date ?
or did you get your recovery disks out ? (effectivly re-installing the whole machine)

-

coozer

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was playing up, blue screens, freezing, refusing to start..

Took the ram out, blew the slots out, back in. Unplugged the hard drive, back in, took out the graphics card, blew the slot out, back in.

All well now, now of the original symptoms anymore.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Nick DV

posted on 23/4/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. PC is a Dell running Win 7. The factory reset may be the way to go then!

Cheers, Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.